Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
06-27-2017, 07:02 AM   #1
Forum Member

Macro choice - Sigma 105 vs Tamron 90

I am looking for a true macro lens, having played around with Raynox, and a few other ideas. I want to buy pre-owned to keep the cost down and I have found both the Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro and the Tamron SP AF 90mm F2.8 Di Macro available at similar prices.

I fancy the 90-105 range (rather than the 50mm range) as I will also be able to use if for portraits and as a short telephoto

Which would you recommend out of the two?

06-27-2017, 07:03 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
are you looking only at autofocus lenses?
06-27-2017, 07:22 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
are you looking only at autofocus lenses?

I am really - I have used manual focus extension tubes (in a limited way) and am aware that manual focus has distinct advantages for macro work, but but I want the versatility to use the lenses for other non-macro work.
06-27-2017, 07:36 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use autofocus in the field taking insect images all the time. It takes practice, and learning how the system and lens work together.

Either are good, both are well-respected. Keep an eye open for a used Pentax 100 f2.8 of any flavor as well. I use an FA100 f2.8 as my insect lens. If Pentax released a new version with their new focus motors, I might actually buy a new lens. I think Sigma generally has slightly better build quality, but I have no direct experience with these macro lenses.

Whichever you get, make sure you get the hood. The FA100 I use has a built-in design, but the others all require bayonet hoods.

06-27-2017, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can only give you pros and cons of the Tamron 90mm, I bought one new a few years ago.

Pros: Sharpest lens I own and it produces excellent bokeh. There is an in-depth review on this site comparing it to the DFA 100mm and the only advantages for the Pentax macro are a smaller size and better handling.

Cons: Same kind of push/pull AF/MF clutch mechanism as the Sigma 105mm macro, which is definitely awkward. Screw drive in camera focus motor, same as the Sigma you are looking at. The barrel on the Tamron is about 2 inches longer than it needs to be, the hood is superfluous, but other than taking up more room in the bag, the unnecessarily long barrel doesn't affect the pictures you can take with it. At 1:1 magnification on a 90mm lens, your subject is still far enough away to have light shining on it.

The Tamron has slightly different colour rendering from the Pentax lenses I own, which may not be noticeable to everyone and is neither a pro or a con. Whatever cons the Tamron has, it seems to share with the Sigma you are looking at (the Sigma is 1 mm longer). I can confidently say you won't go wrong getting the Tamron.
06-27-2017, 08:05 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for this - your personal perspective is very helpful.

Looking at the reviews the 2 seemed very similar in so many aspects, so I am not surprised that the cons are also very similar.

I'd also think of the Pentax 100, but I haven't found one for a reasonable price locally :-(

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I can only give you pros and cons of the Tamron 90mm, I bought one new a few years ago.

Pros: Sharpest lens I own and it produces excellent bokeh. There is an in-depth review on this site comparing it to the DFA 100mm and the only advantages for the Pentax macro are a smaller size and better handling.

Cons: Same kind of push/pull AF/MF clutch mechanism as the Sigma 105mm macro, which is definitely awkward. Screw drive in camera focus motor, same as the Sigma you are looking at. The barrel on the Tamron is about 2 inches longer than it needs to be, the hood is superfluous, but other than taking up more room in the bag, the unnecessarily long barrel doesn't affect the pictures you can take with it. At 1:1 magnification on a 90mm lens, your subject is still far enough away to have light shining on it.

The Tamron has slightly different colour rendering from the Pentax lenses I own, which may not be noticeable to everyone and is neither a pro or a con. Whatever cons the Tamron has, it seems to share with the Sigma you are looking at (the Sigma is 1 mm longer). I can confidently say you won't go wrong getting the Tamron.
06-27-2017, 08:07 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
both of them are great

06-27-2017, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I worked with the Tamron in a different lensmount (Sony Alpha) and can definitely recommend it as an excellent lens, and I was all set to buy one in Pentax mount when I decided to switch back- but then I made the mistake of handling a display copy of the D-FA 100mm WR. When one came up at a decent price used, that was all there was for me. Switching between AF/MF is vastly easier and more intuitive with the D-FA than any other lens I've worked with, and that turns out to make a big difference in getting the shot vs. not getting the shot when working with quick-moving bugs and arachnids. A lot of folks seem to think MF-only is the way to go with macro, and I could not disagree more. If you can afford it (think about how the cost spreads out over years and years of use), go for the D-FA.

I do prefer its rendering as well.
06-27-2017, 08:13 AM   #9
Pentaxian

i own the Tamron 90/2.8 and would recommend against it due to an issue mine developed in the first few months. I purchased one nearly new from a forumite and it immediately failed (aperture locked in the wide open position). The warranty was non transferrable but i sent it in to Tamron and they insisted on charging me full price to repair it. I chose not to throw more money at a faulty lens. At this point, the lens is a worthless paperweight, and I cannot recommend it obviously.
Good luck.
06-27-2017, 08:52 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I searched for those 2 and wound up with a Sigma 70mm instead. I have the M100/4 macro also, a great lens but I miss the AF.
Any Macro is good.

Seb
06-27-2017, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

I have the Sigma 105 and it is an excellent lens and super sharp in macro mode, in fact it is almost too sharp if that is possible. It also makes a pretty good telephoto for non-macro work. I have noticed that the colour rendition is sightly different to all my Pentax lenses when I've tried comparison shots, not 'bad' just 'different'.

I was extremely lucky to find mine on Ebay as new-old-stock (NOS) from a liquidator who was selling off the stock from a B&M camera store that had shut down. It even came with the extended seven year Canadian warranty that was offered on the lens for a while.
06-27-2017, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bassek Quote
I searched for those 2 and wound up with a Sigma 70mm instead. I have the M100/4 macro also, a great lens but I miss the AF.
Any Macro is good.

Seb
The Sigma has really smooth bokeh, it's a great portrait lens, and if you really want 100mm, use it with the 1.4 TC.
The Tamron is Tess' favourite lens. I bought mine second hand. Amazing thing about it. Tess was changing lenses, and dropped on a rock where it rolled into a lake. It survived the fall, dried out quite nicely, and is still our favourite lens.

Check out this post for more info and pictures.
Need to decide on a macro lens - PentaxForums.com
06-27-2017, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Robin CB Quote
I am looking for a true macro lens, having played around with Raynox, and a few other ideas. I want to buy pre-owned to keep the cost down and I have found both the Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro and the Tamron SP AF 90mm F2.8 Di Macro available at similar prices.

I fancy the 90-105 range (rather than the 50mm range) as I will also be able to use if for portraits and as a short telephoto

Which would you recommend out of the two?

For what its worth, I have both the Sigma 70mm and 105mm EX DG Macros and I have no complaints. The 70mm is extremely sharp so much so that you may not t to use it for portraits.
The 105mm is also tack sharp and both have served me well.
06-27-2017, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #14
hcc
Pentaxian

Both the Tamron 90mm and Sigma 105 mm are great lenses. You cannot get wrong with either.

There is also the Pentax DFA100mm. You may be interested to read the in-depth PF reviews:
Tamron 90mm Macro vs Pentax 100mm WR: Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Hope that the comment may help.
06-27-2017, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

There simply are no bad Macro primes that I know of. You have to stay away from the macro zooms though.