Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2017, 08:17 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wanderer2 Quote
Fenwoodian have you done any testing of the Sigma Art lenses? The only primes in Pentax mount Sigma is currently selling in the Art series are the 30 and 35mm. I've seem some positive reviews on the 35 and am wondering how these lenses compare with the Zeiss lenses and three amigos. As I mentioned above the use would be for landscapes with some large prints and cropping so sharpness is important. Thanks once again.
I have owned the Sigma Art 35. Shot it on my K1. Certainly it is a very sharp lens.

If you are a serious landscape shooter and print LARGE as I do, I expect that you shoot mostly in the pixel shift mode. In the pixel shift mode, both Zeiss and Sigma Art lenses render such incredibly sharp images it's really hard to see much difference at all in sharpness. If you don't shoot in the pixel shift mode, you might be better able to see the sharpness differential between lenses. In the non pixel shift mode, I guess that I'd say the Sigma is a bit sharper than either the Zeiss Classic 35/1.4 or the Zeiss Classic 35/2.

Also, all serious landscape shooters that I know shoot in manual focus in order to nail critical focus 100% of the time (I do when using a Zacuto viewfinder). So, given the poor record of Sigma auto focus performance on Pentax bodies, I'd say that should not be a consideration because as a landscape shooter you are shooting in manual focus anyway. By the way, Zeiss has better manual focus characteristics than Sigma Art lenses.

However, overall, there's just something about the Zeiss rendering (color, bokeh, depth) that makes me like Zeiss lenses better than Sigma lenses.

Also, I think Zeiss has the better build quality, will last longer, and is more rugged than Sigma Art lenses. For example, I've repaired/rebuilt a Zeiss Milvus lens where the rear of the lens was badly destroyed/broken (likely by a big fall or being run over by a vehicle). To my sheer amazement, I was able to bring this lens back to original specs without too much trouble! From my experience, Zeiss lenses are darned near "bullet proof". Sigma, not so much. I dropped an expensive Sigma telephoto lens 18 inches onto a thickly padded carpeted floor. The internal glass elements were broken, rendering the lens a constructive total loss.

As far as the Sigma Art 35 lens compared to the Pentax 31mm Limited lens? The Sigma is sharper, but like the Zeiss, I much prefer the overall rendering of the Pentax 31 to the Sigma 35 Art.

If sharpness is of paramount importance to you, and you don't want to spend a lot of money, then you will probably like the Sigma 35 Art lens.

However, if you want one of the best 35mm lens of all time (and have $2200 to spend), wait until August and buy the new Zeiss Milvus 35mm f/1.4 lens. Lloyd Chambers has tested it and says that from f/2.8 to f/16, this new lens is Otus quality! Put this new Zeiss lens on a K1 in pixel shift mode, on a sturdy tripod, with excellent technique and you will make images that are sharper than images made by the new Fuji medium format GFX camera.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 07-01-2017 at 09:09 AM.
07-01-2017, 08:50 AM   #32

Once again, many thanks. You are a gold mine of valuable, useful info on lenses!!!

Mike
07-01-2017, 09:19 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Once again, many thanks. You are a gold mine of valuable, useful info on lenses!!!

Mike

Thanks Mike, happy to help!

I've shot a lot of lenses on my K1 camera. Photo below is about one fourth of those I've tested in the last couple of years...

[IMG][/IMG]
07-01-2017, 10:45 AM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Photo below is about one fourth of those I've tested in the last couple of years...
Gasp!!! Incredible, no wonder you have such a huge data base on lenses.

In the pixel shift mode, both Zeiss and Sigma Art lenses render such incredibly sharp images it's really hard to see much difference at all in sharpness.
In re-reading your post I found I did not fully understand this. I would think differences in sharpness would be more apparent in pixel shift resolution than in standard mode. Could you kindly explain this further? Thanks. The 35 mm Art certainly has an appealing price. I do shoot most landscapes in PSR.

07-01-2017, 11:34 AM   #35
Pentaxian

I just completed my 22nd Leitax Nikon F to Pentax K conversion.
Maybe the question was overlooked:
Could you simply list the exact models that have been converted?
07-01-2017, 03:09 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

In re-reading your post I found I did not fully understand this. I would think differences in sharpness would be more apparent in pixel shift resolution than in standard mode. Could you kindly explain this further?

I inspect all my Pixel Shift images at 100% on a large/modern NEC monitor.

When shooting the same subjects in the non-pixel shift mode I am often able to see a difference in sharpness between the lenses quite clearly at 100%. But in the Pixel Shift mode I find it much harder to detect a difference in sharpness, and what difference I see is much less than the difference in the normal mode.

Why? I can only guess, but maybe in the Pixel Shift mode, the sharpness of both lenses is elevated so high, that even on high quality monitors one is not able to see that much of a difference, even at 100%.

Pixel Shift seems to improve good performing lenses' sharpness results a bit more than Pixel Shift improves a world class lens' sharpness.

So what I'm saying is that if you are already shooting with world class lenses, the improvement that is visible on "today's monitors" by using Pixel Shift is not as great as the improvement seen when using PSM with less than outstanding lenses. (Note: this may not be the case for those who in the future are using 5K and 8K monitiors, maybe then the monitors will be up to showing the full potential of pixel shift images).

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 07-01-2017 at 03:22 PM.
07-10-2017, 09:03 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Maybe the question was overlooked:
Could you simply list the exact models that have been converted?
WHY? Sounds like you are just trying to make busy work for me!