Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2017, 01:34 PM - 5 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New Zeiss Milvus 50mm f/1.4 lens on my Pentax K1

I just completed my 22nd Leitax Nikon F to Pentax K conversion. I always use the excellent Leitax adapters for these conversions.

Today I adapted my second Zeiss Milvus ZF lens, a Milvus 50mm f/1.4 lens. As with the Milvus ZF 85/1.4 lens that I had previously adapted, I needed to remove the blue rubber weather seal at the rear of the lens to allow for a proper fit with the Leitax adapter. I guess that I won't be taking this lens out in the rain.

The lens fits tight on my K1 camera, and like all of my previous Leitax conversions, the lens focuses perfectly at infinity. The aperture works perfectly too.

Later today I will post some test photos that I just took. I have not yet looked at them, so we can both see together how well this lens does on a Pentax K1 camera.

I just checked Flickr, and could not find any images taken with the Zeiss Milvus 50mm f/1.4 on the Pentax K1 camera. So this combination appears to be pretty rare.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 12-23-2017 at 12:12 PM.
06-27-2017, 01:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations. Well done.
06-27-2017, 01:55 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
F/2 , handheld

[IMG][/IMG]
06-27-2017, 02:00 PM   #4

Is that your side business?

06-27-2017, 02:09 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Another test shot at f/4.

I am liking the colors. I'd classify them as "realistic" and not over-saturated. Unlike the more intense/vibrant colors that I get out of my Voigtlander 75/2.5 color-heliar lens.

After a bit of pixel peeping, I'd say the sharpness is good, but maybe a hair below the amazing sharpness exhibited by its' big brother - Zeiss Milvus 85/1.4

The Milvus 50/1.4 feels like a lightweight compared to the Milvus 85/1.4. I could easily handhold the Milvus 50/1.4 all day on the K1 with no problem.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 06-27-2017 at 02:21 PM.
06-27-2017, 02:10 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BullsOnParade81 Quote
Is that your side business?
No, but years ago I was a consultant to McDonald's. To provide better service to them I did go through McD's managers training. So yes, I've made a few McBurgers in my day.

Actually, I live near this McDonalds store and I like to use it for a test subject because of it's vibrant colors.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 06-27-2017 at 02:25 PM.
06-27-2017, 02:24 PM   #7

Haha I meant do you put k mount lenses on Zeiss lenses as a side business

06-27-2017, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BullsOnParade81 Quote
Haha I meant do you put k mount lenses on Zeiss lenses as a side business
Oh, I've done a few conversion jobs for a fee.

Many others have contacted about such conversions, but usually it does not result in a job for me. I believe that the high price of the Zeiss lenses (especially the Milvus') in the end cause folks to decide against it.

I've done 2 Milvus lenses now and many of the old Zeiss "Classic" versions. I charged $200 plus return shipping to convert the "Classic versions (that included the Leitax mount of course).

The Milvus lenses are much more complicated and difficult to convert (more parts, lots of special washers and gaskets that the "Classic" versions don't have). It took me about 3 hours to do today's conversion. I guess if someone wanted me to convert a Zeiss Milvus lens for them I'd ask $300 for it.

Today I took dozens of close up photos of my conversion of this Zeiss Milvus ZF 50/1.4 lens to K mount. Tonight, I'll be editing the many photos and will send them on to David Llado at Letiax. He asked for them and intends to post them on the Leitax website for guidance for people to follow if they want to give a try themselves to doing a Zeiss Milvus conversion from Nikon F mount to Pentax K mount.

I've done many such conversions and Milvus lenses would be very difficult for anyone to convert if you don't have your own lens shop and/or lots of experience either repairing lenses or adapting lenses. For example, some of the Zeiss Milvus lenses are different than other Milvus lenses. After my first attempt at converting the Milvus 50/1.4 lens today, I found that the aperture ring did not work and the lens was perpetually stuck wide open! So, I took it apart again, found the problem, and put it back together. After this second try at it, the aperture worked perfectly.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 06-28-2017 at 09:59 AM.
06-27-2017, 02:48 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I just checked Flickr, and could not find any images taken with the Zeiss Milvus 50mm f/1.4 on the Pentax K1 camera. So this combination appears to be pretty rare.
I would expect that combination would be rare since Flickr draws its lens information from the EXIF and only manually edited EXIF would or tags with the Milvus lens name would show on a search. Nice work, BTW. Your success in this area has undoubtedly encouraged others to try this adaption.

Steve
06-27-2017, 02:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

most excellent pictures!
I also did the Leitax conversion to a Leica R 80mm 1.4
However, I havent "tamed" that huge chunk of glass.
I ran some tests, and compared to a SMC A 70-210 at same focal length and aperture (5.6), the zoom constantly outbeated the Leica sharpness and contrast wise.
Im confused here, I even swapped the focusing screen just to be sure..
06-27-2017, 03:04 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Lopez Quote
most excellent pictures!
I also did the Leitax conversion to a Leica R 80mm 1.4
However, I havent "tamed" that huge chunk of glass.
I ran some tests, and compared to a SMC A 70-210 at same focal length and aperture (5.6), the zoom constantly outbeated the Leica sharpness and contrast wise.
Im confused here, I even swapped the focusing screen just to be sure..

Jeff, I have never owned a Leica lens, but I hear they are a good lens. Many are said to have excellent bokeh and a unique signature.

I am aware that Leitax also sells an adapter that will convert a Leica lens to K mount. However, I have no experience with them and am unable to comment on your concern.
06-27-2017, 03:15 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here's another photo. F/2 at its' closest focusing point.

I am liking this Milvus 50/1.4's colors. It's sharpness is good enough for me. But what's really making me want to keep this lens and do some serious shooting with it is its' bokeh. To my eye its' bokeh is very nice.

[IMG][/IMG]
06-27-2017, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here's the final "test" image I'll be posting.

It's the very fist photo that I took with the Zeiss Milvus 50mm f/1.4 wide open immediately after I converted it.

The photo is obviously nothing special (in fact my wife hates it). But I think it showcases the colors and bokeh nicely that one can achieve with this lens on a Pentax K1 camera. Study this photo paying attention to the "purity" of the various colors. This lens is one of the few lenses that produces colors so nice that I do not need to do anything in post to fine tune or enhance the colors that it produces.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 06-28-2017 at 10:09 AM.
06-27-2017, 10:17 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
what happened to the contacts
06-27-2017, 11:59 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I just tried the aperture declicking screw, and found that it works perfectly! The 4th hole that all Leitax mounts have is centered directly over the declicking screw (nice job there Leitax). It was easy to insert a small screwdriver and activate and deactivate the aperture declicking mechanism.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 06-28-2017 at 12:05 AM.