Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
06-28-2017, 12:01 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by uttam.hathi Quote
what happened to the contacts

Leitax adapters have no electrical contacts. Therefore the aperture setting does not get recorded in the EXIF information. Although ISO and shutter speed are recorded.

06-28-2017, 01:34 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It would be awesome if Pentax copied Leica and put a lens code reader on the lens mount, that would save a lot of trouble regarding the multitude of third party lenses and EXIF tagging.
06-28-2017, 05:27 AM   #18
Veteran Member

There is at least one simple adapter on the market to adapt Nikon F mount lenses to Pentax K mount cameras. Saw it on Amazon recently, don't recall the brand. The Leitax conversion must result in much better results for you to go to all this work of converting Zeiss Nikon mount lenses to K mount, right? I'm interested in upgrading my K-1 lens kit and would be interested in one or more Milvus lenses in the future (when my finances improve which I hope happens later this year).
06-28-2017, 08:51 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wanderer2 Quote
There is at least one simple adapter on the market to adapt Nikon F mount lenses to Pentax K mount cameras. Saw it on Amazon recently, don't recall the brand. The Leitax conversion must result in much better results for you to go to all this work of converting Zeiss Nikon mount lenses to K mount, right? I'm interested in upgrading my K-1 lens kit and would be interested in one or more Milvus lenses in the future (when my finances improve which I hope happens later this year).
Interesting..

I searched Amazon and found a $39 Fotodiox F to K adapter. It has an optical element in it. I would guess that this inexpensive optical element would likely degrade the image otherwise produced by your lens. Sure, one could remove this optical element, but then the lens with the adapter on it would only focus a few inches in front of your camera.

Also, please read many of the bad comments from buyers of this cheap adapter at the bottom of the page. They say things like:
# This will not hold a lens in place, keeps falling off!
# It doesn't lock into place
# I'm not having any luck getting sharp images with it
# Doesn't work as advertised

Frankly, I can not imagine anyone who owns an expensive Pentax K1 camera using an inexpensive adapter like this on their lenses. It defeats the entire purpose of even having one of the best cameras out there if you are going to degrade all of the images by puting a piece of junk on it like this.

Leitax adapter mounts are super premium mounts and are not all that expensive. They are actually better made and are stronger than the original mounts that come on these Zeiss lenses. Indeed, I have seen no deterioration in the IQ a lens produces after installing these Leitax mounts (I used to have a Nikon camera and could easily compare a lens' performance on the Nikon camera before the conversion, to its' performance after the conversion on a Pentax camera).

My experience with Milvus lenses has been very good. The Milvus 50/1.4 and 85/1.4 lenses that I converted and use on my K1 are exceptional lenses. I am fairly certain that any photographer would be very happy with their performance on a K1 camera.

But if you want to save some money, please remember that Zeiss makes an older line of lenses called their "Classic" line. Many of these Classic lenses are just as good as the Milvus versions because the Milvus version kept the same optical design as the Classic lens. My particular favorites in the Classic line that are much cheaper than their Milvus counterparts include: 21mm f/2.8; 25mm f/2.8; 28mm f/2; 35mm f/2; 50mm f/2 Makro Planar; 100mm f/2 Makro Planar; and 135mm f/2 APO. In fact, I've got two of these Classic Zeiss lenses currently for sale on Ebay.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 06-28-2017 at 10:32 AM.
06-28-2017, 11:06 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Interesting..

I searched Amazon and found a $39 Fotodiox F to K adapter. It has an optical element in it. I would guess that this inexpensive optical element would likely degrade the image otherwise produced by your lens. Sure, one could remove this optical element, but then the lens with the adapter on it would only focus a few inches in front of your camera.

Also, please read many of the bad comments from buyers of this cheap adapter at the bottom of the page. They say things like:

Frankly, I can not imagine anyone who owns an expensive Pentax K1 camera using an inexpensive adapter like this on their lenses. It defeats the entire purpose of even having one of the best cameras out there if you are going to degrade all of the images by puting a piece of junk on it like this.

Leitax adapter mounts are super premium mounts and are not all that expensive. They are actually better made and are stronger than the original mounts that come on these Zeiss lenses. Indeed, I have seen no deterioration in the IQ a lens produces after installing these Leitax mounts (I used to have a Nikon camera and could easily compare a lens' performance on the Nikon camera before the conversion, to its' performance after the conversion on a Pentax camera).

My experience with Milvus lenses has been very good. The Milvus 50/1.4 and 85/1.4 lenses that I converted and use on my K1 are exceptional lenses. I am fairly certain that any photographer would be very happy with their performance on a K1 camera.

But if you want to save some money, please remember that Zeiss makes an older line of lenses called their "Classic" line. Many of these Classic lenses are just as good as the Milvus versions because the Milvus version kept the same optical design as the Classic lens. My particular favorites in the Classic line that are much cheaper than their Milvus counterparts include: 21mm f/2.8; 25mm f/2.8; 28mm f/2; 35mm f/2; 50mm f/2 Makro Planar; 100mm f/2 Makro Planar; and 135mm f/2 APO. In fact, I've got two of these Classic Zeiss lenses currently for sale on Ebay.
Thanks for all the info. I'll check out the classic line - since they are older I had assumed they would be of less quality than the Milvus line but obviously this is not always the case. Did Zeiss make some of these in the Pentax K mount in the past?
06-28-2017, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Lopez Quote
most excellent pictures!
I also did the Leitax conversion to a Leica R 80mm 1.4
However, I havent "tamed" that huge chunk of glass.
I ran some tests, and compared to a SMC A 70-210 at same focal length and aperture (5.6), the zoom constantly outbeated the Leica sharpness and contrast wise.
Im confused here, I even swapped the focusing screen just to be sure..
I have these one, it's just a masterpiece. Don't expect taking landscape or far subjects with it, results are bad. But in a "proxy" practice, it's just amazing, with a very special rendering in lights and tones. Prefer it to my Zeiss zk 85mm...
06-28-2017, 01:40 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Did Zeiss make some of these in the Pentax K mount in the past?
Yes, the ZK series. There are also the M-42 ZS variants that remained available for some time after the ZK were discontinued.*

Steve

* Adorama has new Distagon T (ZS) 35/2 and Distagon T (ZS) 25/2.8, both on closeout for $948 USD.

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-28-2017 at 01:48 PM.
06-29-2017, 03:08 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I just completed my 22nd Leitax Nikon F to Pentax K conversion.
Can you simply list them?

It would be nice to have a full list of all lenses than have been converter sucessfully.
06-29-2017, 04:14 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Interesting..

Fenwoodian, how would you compare the Zeiss Milvus and Classic lenses you mentioned above to the Pentax three amigos? The use would be for large landscape prints with cropping. I realize the Pentax lenses have the advantage, if it's considered that, of being automatic but that's not essential. Thanks.
06-29-2017, 05:08 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fenwoodian, how would you compare the Zeiss Milvus and Classic lenses you mentioned above to the Pentax three amigos? The use would be for large landscape prints with cropping. I realize the Pentax lenses have the advantage, if it's considered that, of being automatic but that's not essential. Thanks.
That is an interesting question. I have the Pentax K20mm that I love it but a part of me keeps saying "it's not a Zeiss" and I have to wonder how the Milvus or Classic 21mm compares to it.
06-29-2017, 08:04 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I rarely crop my images. I don't shoot wide landscapes where everything is in focus. My photography is subject focused and strictly shot at wide apertures. So, the below comments are from my perspective and biased towards my shooting style.

I have owned at least two copies of each of the three amigos. Obviously, I liked their auto-focus and their light weight. I shot the 3 amigos on my K3, K3ii, and K1 cameras.

I would never say anything bad about the FA31 and FA77. I really liked the rendering of the FA31 and FA77. I was not all that impressed with the FA43 - thinking it was nice but not exceptional like the other two lenses. Between the FA31 and the FA77, my favorite was the FA77.

I have sold all of the 3 amigos that I had so at this time it would not be possible to do direct tests between the 3 amigos and my Zeiss Milvus and Classic lenses. But, I can certainly give you my opinion about what the differences are.

Overall, I guess that I prefer the Zeiss lenses to the 3 amigos because I prefer the "Zeiss Look" to the "3 Amigos Look". Neither is better, it's a matter of personal taste. But for what I like to shoot, I find the rendering/signature/colors/depth/contrast of the Zeiss lenses to be a bit more pleasing.

Like with Pentax lenses, not all Zeiss lenses are created equal and some are much better than others. Most lens reviewers would agree with that statement.

The FA77 Limited is up against one of the best Zeiss lenses there is, the Zeiss Milvus 85mm f/1.4. The 85 Milvus is the single best lens I have ever shot (the exceptional Zeiss 135/2 APO is a close second)! The Milvus 85 is much sharper than the FA77, and it's bokeh is exceptional (even Zeiss themselves call it "The King of Bokeh"). I believe most photographers who have shot both lenses would agree that the Zeiss 85 Milvus is clearly a few steps above the FA77 in just about every lens characteristic.

The FA31 Limited I would rate as being overall a fairly close competitor to the Zeiss Classic 35/2, 28/2 and 35/1.4 lenses that I own. However, the brand new Zeiss Milvus 35mm f/1.4 lens is soon to be released. It's an all new optical design over the Zeiss Classic 35/1.4 lens that I own. Both Lloyd Chambers and Thom Hogan have reviewed this new Zeiss lens and call it: much better than the older Classic version, a World-Class lens, and the best 35mm lens they have ever tested! So, based on the glowing reviews from Lloyd and Thom I have no doubt that the new Zeiss Milvus 35/1.4 is a much better lens than the FA31. Please note that I have never used the new Zeiss 35/1.4 lens, and it will not be available at B&H until August.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 06-29-2017 at 09:13 AM.
06-29-2017, 08:30 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sibyrnes Quote
That is an interesting question. I have the Pentax K20mm that I love it but a part of me keeps saying "it's not a Zeiss" and I have to wonder how the Milvus or Classic 21mm compares to it.
I've owned multiple copies of most of the Pentax 20mm-ish lenses. I've also owned multiple copies of the Zeiss Classic 21mm lens.

The Zeiss 21mm lens is a better lens than any of the Pentax 20mm lenses. Want further information, just contact Pentax Forums member "Les" he has a Zeiss 21mm lens and loves it. Also, the new Zeiss Milvus 18mm lens is highly rated. I have only owned the older classic 18mm lens. From what I'm hearing, the new Zeiss Milvus 18mm lens is just about as good as the Zeiss 21/2.8, yet much lighter and of course wider. You might want to consider the new 18mm Milvus lens also.

I would not waste time considering the Zeiss Milvus 21mm lens - just buy the Classic version. First, both versions have the same optical formula. Second, the Milvus is more expensive. Third, the Milvus is much harder to convert to Pentax K mount than the Classic version is (as far as I know, I'm the only one in the world who has to date converted Zeiss Milvus to K mount).

P.S. I did send off to David LLado about 40 photos that I took while converting my Zeiss Milvus ZF 50mm f/1.4 lens from Nikon F mount to Pentax K mount using one of David's Leitax adapters. Yesterday David told me that he's going to be publishing my many photos on his website. So, after my instructional photos come out, I expect there will be more people using the Leitax adapter to convert Milvus lenses to K mount.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 06-29-2017 at 09:14 AM.
06-29-2017, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

I rarely crop my images. I don't shoot wide landscapes where everything is in focus. My photography is subject focused and strictly shot at wide apertures. So, the below comments are from my perspective and biased towards my shooting style.

I have owned at least two copies of each of the three amigos. Obviously, I liked their auto-focus and their light weight. I shot the 3 amigos on my K3, K3ii, and K1 cameras.

I would never say anything bad about the FA31 and FA77. I really liked the rendering of the FA31 and FA77. I was not all that impressed with the FA43 - thinking it was nice but not exceptional like the other two lenses. Between the FA31 and the FA77, my favorite was the FA77.

I have sold all of the 3 amigos that I had so at this time it would not be possible to do direct tests between the 3 amigos and my Zeiss Milvus and Classic lenses. But, I can certainly give you my opinion about what the differences are.

Overall, I guess that I prefer the Zeiss lenses to the 3 amigos because I prefer the "Zeiss Look" to the "3 Amigos Look". Neither is better, it's a matter of personal taste. But for what I like to shoot, I find the rendering/signature/colors/depth/contrast of the Zeiss lenses to be a bit more pleasing.

Like with Pentax lenses, not all Zeiss lenses are created equal and some are much better than others. Most lens reviewers would agree with that statement.

The FA77 Limited is up against one of the best Zeiss lenses there is, the Zeiss Milvus 85mm f/1.4. The 85 Milvus is the single best lens I have ever shot (the exceptional Zeiss 135/2 APO is a close second)! The Milvus 85 is much sharper than the FA77, and it's bokeh is exceptional (even Zeiss themselves call it "The King of Bokeh"). I believe most photographers who have shot both lenses would agree that the Zeiss 85 Milvus is clearly a few steps above the FA77 in just about every lens characteristic.

The FA31 Limited I would rate as being overall a fairly close competitor to the Zeiss Classic 35/2, 28/2 and 35/1.4 lenses that I own. However, the brand new Zeiss Milvus 35mm f/1.4 lens is soon to be released. It's an all new optical design over the Zeiss Classic 35/1.4 lens that I own. Both Lloyd Chambers and Thom Hogan have reviewed this new Zeiss lens and call it: much better than the older Classic version, a World-Class lens, and the best 35mm lens they have ever tested! So, based on the glowing reviews from Lloyd and Thom I have no doubt that the new Zeiss Milvus 35/1.4 is a much better lens than the FA31. Please note that I have never used the new Zeiss 35/1.4 lens, and it will not be available at B&H until August.
Really great info, very helpful. Thanks again, I really appreciate your taking so much time to give your opinions, and the direct experience those opinions are based on.
06-29-2017, 11:23 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I just realized something...

Leitax screws come in two sizes - long and short.

If you intend to do you own conversion of a Zeiss Milvus lens, be sure to order your Leitax adapter with the "long" screws.

It is appearing to me that the new Milvus designs all are using the longer screws (probably because of the increased usage of washers, gaskets, metal rings, etc. in the Milvus lens design).

Dave
07-01-2017, 03:42 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I just realized something...

Leitax screws come in two sizes - long and short.

If you intend to do you own conversion of a Zeiss Milvus lens, be sure to order your Leitax adapter with the "long" screws.

It is appearing to me that the new Milvus designs all are using the longer screws (probably because of the increased usage of washers, gaskets, metal rings, etc. in the Milvus lens design).

Dave
Fenwoodian have you done any testing of the Sigma Art lenses? The only primes in Pentax mount Sigma is currently selling in the Art series are the 30 and 35mm. I've seem some positive reviews on the 35 and am wondering how these lenses compare with the Zeiss lenses and three amigos. As I mentioned above the use would be for landscapes with some large prints and cropping so sharpness is important. Thanks once again.