Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
05-27-2018, 05:55 AM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
Your lens looks very similar to a couple of preset teles I own.
Can't say more cause the picture of the lens doesn't show the serial.
I'd say Tokina made. Or maybe Komine.
Not uncommon, but worth investigating its qualities. Fringing could be a problem, but the rounded iris should give rounded bokeh balls even if it's stopped down a little
Here's photo with serial visible. I'm still up to take it outside and try and shoot with it to check what it is capable of

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ONEPLUS A5010  Photo 
05-27-2018, 06:39 AM   #17
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you haven't shot anything with it yet?
05-27-2018, 01:23 PM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
you haven't shot anything with it yet?
I did some some time ago but now can't remember which photos are the ones...and then my baby was born and I didn't have much time anymore
I'm up to pack just this lens and camera and shoot a lot of photos with it soon. Maybe tomorrow but the forecast is not promising so far...
05-28-2018, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MrTiburon Quote
Here's photo with serial visible. I'm still up to take it outside and try and shoot with it to check what it is capable of
Made by Cosina.
Old Vivitars with serials starting with 9 were made by Cosina.

Try it, some lenses of the same vintage are really surprising.
I don't think it will prove super sharp, but B/W rendition and bokeh could make it an interesting addition to your modern lenses.

I use old not-so-sharp lenses more often than expensive AF zooms. Especially on full frame, the character of some vintage glasses gives the kind of beautiful rendition of OOF areas that I find so pleasing to the eye.
In most of my pictures, at night and with OOF highlights, with the subject off-center, a "vintage look" nicely complements my shooing preferences.

cheers

Paolo

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 05-28-2018 at 09:44 AM.
05-21-2019, 08:48 AM   #20

I have the same lens as you have for a more than a year. I didn't use it more than once or twice because it's in a not-so-good condition and I'm afraid it will fall apart... Like you, I tried to find information on the lens and found it only here. Mine has a shorter than usual SN (it's not on the famous list), only 5 digits, starts with 666. My copy has a lot of oil inside it that can be seen easily on its 15(!) blades and the focus is sticky. I would have try to take it apart but the screws are so fragile - as I remember from the time I got it - I don't want to break it.
I think I'll give it a try soon.
Attached Images

05-26-2019, 04:44 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are a lot of presets around, I have several between 100mm and 200mm, my favourites are a tele-lentar 135/2.8 and a Pentax 200/3.5.

I have a personal theory that the preset mechanism on Most of these lenses places the aperture forward and close to the front element, compared to auto aperture lenses where in many cases the aperture mechanism is close to the rear of the lens for ease of camera coupling.

My experience is that preset lenses have a considerably different look to the out of focus areas, and generally a much different bokeh, some of this is also due to most presets having a round aperture at all settings, compared to newer lenses with hexagonal or octagonal apertures as you stop down.

I have one exception to this, a 100mmF2.8 preset under a store rebrand Vernon Edonar that collapeses from round into a crysanthemum