Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
06-30-2017, 03:14 AM   #1
Forum Member

TELE Vivitar 1:3.5 f=135mm Two aperture rings(?)

Hi guys,
I've recently bought a pack of old lenses/bag/filters/equipment etc. (you know those auctions/ads where somebody found old grandpa's stuff on the attic and sell it for few pennies).
One of the lenses is TELE Vivitar 1:3.5 f=135mm and it's first time I have lens with two aperture rings on it. Tried to find some info about it but I can't. When looking for it on the internet it either finds another version of it with just one ring or auctions without description on type I have. Does anyone have links to articles/tests or personal experiences with this particular lens? One of the rings seems to be something I'll call 'Master Ring' which sets aperture and the other one let's you manipulate aperture further between 3.5 and value set and blocked by 'Master Ring' (visually showing how dark/light everything is in viewfinder).

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6  Photo 
06-30-2017, 03:44 AM - 1 Like   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't have experience with that lens, but it has what's known as a preset aperture mechanism. You set the aperture you want with one ring, then open the diaphragm fully with the other, focus, then close it down with that same ring to the aperture you had originally set, and take the photo. Quite a lot of preset lenses were made, and I admit to having a fondness for them

We have a couple of user reviews of that lens in our database, here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/vivitar-p-b-135mm-3-5-preset-t-mount.html

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-30-2017 at 04:14 AM.
06-30-2017, 03:45 AM - 1 Like   #3

Photos: Albums
This is called a preset aperture and is common in a lot of older lenses. As you described, one ring sets the aperture, the other one is used to open the lens, focus, and then stop down to the set value. Most preset lenses use a slightly different mechanism with only one ring. The Pentacon 135/2.8 for example has only one aperture ring: you pull the ring forward, then rotate it to the target aperture. During normal operation, the ring only operates between the maximum and the set value.
06-30-2017, 03:51 AM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by antipattern Quote
Most preset lenses use a slightly different mechanism with only one ring.
Funnily enough, that hasn't been my experience. Most of the presets I've seen and used (and own) have the two separate rings. I did recently try an E. Ludwig Meritar 50mm f/2.9 that used the single ring with push / pull, but that was the first I'd come across...

06-30-2017, 03:56 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys. Having ''preset aperture'' expression there's bigger field for research for me now. Want to get as much as I can out of stuff I've obtained.
06-30-2017, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've seen several lenses with preset apertures...but never one with two aperture gauges...
06-30-2017, 06:35 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Wow! Weird. Never seen that before.....

06-30-2017, 06:47 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
I've seen several lenses with preset apertures...but never one with two aperture gauges...
Well sometimes they're labelled like that, sometimes the ring you spin is labelled O - C for open - close.
That old vivitar is also a t-mount lens. FYI

How to use t-mount, preset lenses.
06-30-2017, 07:01 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
That old vivitar is also a t-mount lens

I know, I've realised that. There is adapter connected to it though.

06-30-2017, 08:17 AM   #10
Pentaxian

The Pentax K-mount 28mm f/3.5 shift lens has this 2 ring setup also.

The two-ring configuration can make it easier to use an old lens because the slider ring makes it easy to flick between full-open (for focusing & framing) and the preset aperture (for metering and shooting). The only tricky part is developing the right muscle memory to flick between open and closed during the workflow of the shooting cycle.

Have fun with your new-old lens!
06-30-2017, 09:10 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Funnily enough, that hasn't been my experience. Most of the presets I've seen and used (and own) have the two separate rings. I did recently try an E. Ludwig Meritar 50mm f/2.9 that used the single ring with push / pull, but that was the first I'd come across...
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Maybe my sample is slightly skewed - most of the preset lenses I have worked with were German made and had the push-to-set mechanism. I think I have seen the two-ring mechanism before, but can't remember on which lens...
06-30-2017, 09:23 AM   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by antipattern Quote
Maybe my sample is slightly skewed - most of the preset lenses I have worked with were German made and had the push-to-set mechanism. I think I have seen the two-ring mechanism before, but can't remember on which lens...
In fairness, it could be that my sample range is skewed I have a few Japanese preset lenses (which use the two ring system), but most of mine are Soviet and they all have two rings. As I say, the E.Ludwig Meritar I tried had the push-pull single ring... Maybe it was favoured by German makers. It confused me at first, but once I figured it out, I thought it was pretty elegant
07-10-2017, 05:38 PM - 1 Like   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all answers. Looks less complicated now
05-11-2018, 06:00 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Refreshing the thread. I was just looking for more info about this particular lens and couldn't really find much about it (other versions like one ring yes but not this one). Am I the owner of something uncommon here? Feel obliged to make more photos with it and maybe write a short review...
05-21-2018, 03:07 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MrTiburon Quote
Refreshing the thread. I was just looking for more info about this particular lens and couldn't really find much about it (other versions like one ring yes but not this one). Am I the owner of something uncommon here? Feel obliged to make more photos with it and maybe write a short review...
Your lens looks very similar to a couple of preset teles I own.
Can't say more cause the picture of the lens doesn't show the serial.
I'd say Tokina made. Or maybe Komine.
Not uncommon, but worth investigating its qualities. Fringing could be a problem, but the rounded iris should give rounded bokeh balls even if it's stopped down a little