Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2017, 04:07 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@TinaS

I know what you mean; I was weighing up last year whether to buy a 50-135, but with the K-1 more and more firmly on the horizon the more good reports I got about it, the desire to buy any other DA-only lens went right out the window. You sound like you've got a good "use case" for it.

Is the Tamron 17-50 also f/2.8 across the whole span? In that case it will keep good company.

The rest of your lenses look like they have a good spread of capability.

The 18-135 is a VERY good lens for one-does-all on a WR body where you anticipate the WR earning its keep, which is why I got mine even though I already have the DA18-250. It's no * or Limited lens, but it can still turn out excellent results; and for those family holiday-level shots that aren't going to have a more lofty exposure than Facebook or Flickr, it's more lens than anyone will ever need. (And if you know your holiday snaps are going to be more serious than that, you already know which lenses you are going to take.)

I also considered the 16-85, but I felt that one was at its best in the big city (where I am not), where the extra two mm at the wide end are of more advantage than the extra fifty at the long end that the 18-135 offers. Time and experience have shown that I chose correctly for my purposes; I have hardly ever wished for wider field of view when using the 18-135, whereas there are many times the 16-85 would not have given me enough reach. Your intent for usage may differ.

06-30-2017, 04:08 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TinaS Quote
50-135 would be faster and better image quality.
Hi Tina,
Just a thought, if you are considering going long, take a look at the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 too. I own the lens and used it on my K3 and now on my K1 with great success. At F4, the Tamron at 70mm is sharper than my FA 77! Go figure, I could not believe it. I am super happy with the Tamron. It is not WR but other than that it has fantastic image quality and focusing is faster than the 50-135.
06-30-2017, 04:11 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You're welcome. Here is a link to an event I shot several years ago. Most of the shots were with the 50-135. People shots were generally shot at wide apertures. Council Bluffs Council Point WPP Grand Opening - darylkottwitzphoto
06-30-2017, 04:30 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
@TinaS

I know what you mean; I was weighing up last year whether to buy a 50-135, but with the K-1 more and more firmly on the horizon the more good reports I got about it, the desire to buy any other DA-only lens went right out the window. You sound like you've got a good "use case" for it.

Is the Tamron 17-50 also f/2.8 across the whole span? In that case it will keep good company.

The rest of your lenses look like they have a good spread of capability.

The 18-135 is a VERY good lens for one-does-all on a WR body where you anticipate the WR earning its keep, which is why I got mine even though I already have the DA18-250. It's no * or Limited lens, but it can still turn out excellent results; and for those family holiday-level shots that aren't going to have a more lofty exposure than Facebook or Flickr, it's more lens than anyone will ever need. (And if you know your holiday snaps are going to be more serious than that, you already know which lenses you are going to take.)

I also considered the 16-85, but I felt that one was at its best in the big city (where I am not), where the extra two mm at the wide end are of more advantage than the extra fifty at the long end that the 18-135 offers. Time and experience have shown that I chose correctly for my purposes; I have hardly ever wished for wider field of view when using the 18-135, whereas there are many times the 16-85 would not have given me enough reach. Your intent for usage may differ.
I've been tempted by full frame, but I've decided I'm happy with Apsc for the time being. It's not out of the question for the future, just not now.

Yes, the Tamron is constant 2.8. I'm thinking it will be a great match.

As far as the 18-135, it would meet my needs more than the 16-85. I'll wait on that one since I know I can get it at a pretty cheap price.

---------- Post added 06-30-17 at 06:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Hi Tina,
Just a thought, if you are considering going long, take a look at the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 too. I own the lens and used it on my K3 and now on my K1 with great success. At F4, the Tamron at 70mm is sharper than my FA 77! Go figure, I could not believe it. I am super happy with the Tamron. It is not WR but other than that it has fantastic image quality and focusing is faster than the 50-135.
I considered the Tamron. I think it's an awesome lens, but I'm afraid it would really bother me to lose 50-70.

---------- Post added 06-30-17 at 06:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by darylk Quote
You're welcome. Here is a link to an event I shot several years ago. Most of the shots were with the 50-135. People shots were generally shot at wide apertures. Council Bluffs Council Point WPP Grand Opening - darylkottwitzphoto
These look great!

07-01-2017, 04:42 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Both lenses that you mentioned are great, and there's lots of good suggestions above.

I have the Pentax 100mm macro and love it. But I've seen great images from the Tamron 90. One advantage of the Tamron is that you have the aperture ring, so if you ever get an inexpensive set of macro tubes to get ultra close you will be able to control the aperture. The Pentax is WR and makes gorgeous images, I also have the FA 50mm macro so I use it with my tubes when I feel the need (not very often though).

The 18-135 its very versatile and fairly light in weight, and I have been very pleased with it stopped down where it really shine. Its quick to focus too.. The 18-135 is always in the bag for my K-S2 for when the prime does not suit the shot. For me it's little gem that punches above it's weight.
07-01-2017, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
The 18-135 is always in the bag for my K-S2 for when the prime does not suit the shot. For me it's a little gem that punches above its weight.
I'm so used to using wide-normal FA and Takumar primes that the 18-135 is actually one of the bigger things I put on my DSLRs. That being said, I handled a K-1 with the D-FA*70-200 in a store back in March, and once I swapped back out to the 18-135 (I had my K-5 with me), the K-1 AND the lens suddenly felt that much lighter and smaller. (That was what convinced me the K-1's weight and size weren't deal-breakers, otherwise I'd have stuck with APS-C and I'd be a 50-135 owner by now.)
07-01-2017, 07:33 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I'm so used to using wide-normal FA and Takumar primes that the 18-135 is actually one of the bigger things I put on my DSLRs. That being said, I handled a K-1 with the D-FA*70-200 in a store back in March, and once I swapped back out to the 18-135 (I had my K-5 with me), the K-1 AND the lens suddenly felt that much lighter and smaller. (That was what convinced me the K-1's weight and size weren't deal-breakers, otherwise I'd have stuck with APS-C and I'd be a 50-135 owner by now.)
Yeah a K-5 combo would do that. Now that I have a K-1 I don't want an APS-C cam heavier than my K-S2 😉

07-01-2017, 07:54 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
TinaS, where do you feel like you don't have a good lens option, what sort of shots are you wishing you had something better?

Looking at your lens collection that is on the previous page of this thread, I don't think you've got any good wide options; is that something you've noticed? A DA15, DA14, maybe one of the wide Sigma zooms like the 8-16 (maybe only available used at this point) etc etc would be nice. Are you happy with your lens options for portrait? I just took some portraits for a friend of her kid and I wish I had something like the DA70 or DA50-135 so I could reach past my current M50 1.4 and have autofocus (portraits for a kid's first birthday, outdoors, left me really missing autofocus). I'm a fan of the Tamron 17-50 and between that and your 55-300 I don't know that I'd bother with the 18-135; I really like my 18-135 but it's a compromise. If you really want an all-day single lens to walk with, I would look long and hard at the DA16-85, which wasn't available when I got my 18-135. But now I'm just rambling.

Short version: I agree with previous statements about finding the hole in your current lens collection, crossed against the types of shots you wish you had a better lens for but currently don't.
07-01-2017, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
Yeah a K-5 combo would do that. Now that I have a K-1 I don't want an APS-C cam heavier than my K-S2 ��
To clarify: what I meant was, I took the 70-200 off the K-1 and put the 18-135 from my K-5 onto the K-1, and suddenly the K-1's size and weight didn't seem like such a problem any more.

My K-5 now stays almost permanently at work; the DA35/2.8 Limited Macro comes home whenever a B&W film requires digitising (the *istDS lacks an in-camera inversion filter and monochrome conversion is clunky; both K cameras are infinitely more flexible in this regard).
07-01-2017, 08:59 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
TinaS, where do you feel like you don't have a good lens option, what sort of shots are you wishing you had something better?

Looking at your lens collection that is on the previous page of this thread, I don't think you've got any good wide options; is that something you've noticed? A DA15, DA14, maybe one of the wide Sigma zooms like the 8-16 (maybe only available used at this point) etc etc would be nice. Are you happy with your lens options for portrait? I just took some portraits for a friend of her kid and I wish I had something like the DA70 or DA50-135 so I could reach past my current M50 1.4 and have autofocus (portraits for a kid's first birthday, outdoors, left me really missing autofocus). I'm a fan of the Tamron 17-50 and between that and your 55-300 I don't know that I'd bother with the 18-135; I really like my 18-135 but it's a compromise. If you really want an all-day single lens to walk with, I would look long and hard at the DA16-85, which wasn't available when I got my 18-135. But now I'm just rambling.

Short version: I agree with previous statements about finding the hole in your current lens collection, crossed against the types of shots you wish you had a better lens for but currently don't.
I have frequently wished for the 50-135 when doing portraits. I've mostly used the da 50 for that purpose, but after a session with two children in a park I seriously wished I'd used a zoom. lol I've used the tamron and the 55-300, as well. The 55-300 does ok, but has its limitations. I think for this shopping trip, I'm going to go ahead and get the 50-135. This may be the only chance I have to get that lens for a while. My next purchase will be a macro. Later, I will get a uwa prime or zoom. I have noticed that gap, but I think I've only wished for that focal length once. So, that's a little lower on the priority list.
07-01-2017, 09:23 AM   #26
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I think for this shopping trip, I'm going to go ahead and get the 50-135.
One of the finest lenses I ever owned. I used it often when I had my little studio, and it was as good as a prime and a lot more versatile. The downside...the SDM failed three times at a cost of about $250 each time. I finally sold it, but still think the IQ was among the best of any Pentax lens.

I now own the Tamrom 70-200 2.8 and it is also a superb lens and for the price a true bargain. If the range would work for you....maybe a better choice?

Regards!
07-01-2017, 09:35 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
One of the finest lenses I ever owned. I used it often when I had my little studio, and it was as good as a prime and a lot more versatile. The downside...the SDM failed three times at a cost of about $250 each time. I finally sold it, but still think the IQ was among the best of any Pentax lens.

I now own the Tamrom 70-200 2.8 and it is also a superb lens and for the price a true bargain. If the range would work for you....maybe a better choice?

Regards!
That's why my hubby is encouraging me to buy new, hoping for less likelihood of problems with the newer ones. Then there's warranty. But, there's always the option of screwdrive conversion. I have considered the tamron. It has the advantage of going to 200, but I don't know if I would be happy losing 50-70. Just remembering when I used a sigma 70-300, I always wished it went wider.
07-01-2017, 09:52 AM   #28
Veteran Member

but I don't know if I would be happy losing 50-70
That is a range you often use for people shooting. The 50-135 is just a superb lens and if they have improved it for reliability it would be my choice in your circumstance. If if does break, have it converted to screw drive...don't do the SDM repair...they don't last very long.

For portrait shooting the 50-135 is only equaled by a large set of very fine primes....at a lot of expense!

Regards!
07-01-2017, 10:03 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
That is a range you often use for people shooting. The 50-135 is just a superb lens and if they have improved it for reliability it would be my choice in your circumstance. If if does break, have it converted to screw drive...don't do the SDM repair...they don't last very long.

For portrait shooting the 50-135 is only equaled by a large set of very fine primes....at a lot of expense!

Regards!
Beautiful, Rupert! Thank you for your input. You know I always value your opinion.
07-01-2017, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

Beautiful, Rupert! Thank you for your input. You know I always value your opinion.
Thanks Tina......the 50-135 gives you the ability to zoom and avoid having to use your feet, which is often not possible or convenient. I used it with Shelby and the other girls most often be cause it gave the best results overall and was fast and accurate.

Shelby...crop

Regards!