Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-29-2017, 01:56 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You're going to have lots of fun. Please post a few when you get back! One last thing: If you're not checking these sites often, you should: Home-page - Icelandic Meteorological Office | Icelandic Meteorological office and Vegasjį-ENG
Weather and Traffic!

08-30-2017, 12:18 AM   #32

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Seems like a good kit to bring with. Curious how often you use the 28mm vs. leaving the 18-55 on the camera. It's small, bring it if you want.

At some point I think you owe it to yourself to buy a wide angle lens.
Definetly! I think I'll be looking to buy one before next summer.

I've taken most of my photos with the 28mm, although I did spend a weekend recently photographing with the 18-55 and had some pretty good shots. I'm lucky enough that my kit fits in my Nat Geo bag in the camera compartment, then I've got the top compartment for other bits an bobs and 20kg carry on where the tripod is going, So i'm taking a variety and happy to lug a slightly heavier pack around as I'm very very active anyway.

I may find I end up shooting alot with the 18-55 in the day, will see how the first day pans out!

---------- Post added 08-30-17 at 12:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by NoCo Pentaxian Quote
You're going to have lots of fun. Please post a few when you get back! One last thing: If you're not checking these sites often, you should: Home-page - Icelandic Meteorological Office | Icelandic Meteorological office and Vegasjį-ENG
Weather and Traffic!
Will do!

Sites saved in bookmarks from my last iceland trip (much shorter than this one) thanks though!
09-18-2017, 07:06 AM - 1 Like   #33

Original Poster
Well... I only really used the Kit lens and the 50mm f1.7! Stitched some photos and I got some great shots though, even the kit lens suprised me in the dark with the aurora, although my 50mm was the go to dark lens when not shooting the aurora. Hardly slept and also had the biggest solar flare in 10 years on my trip, so the aurora was out in force! Like watching youtube on two of the nights, saw them for five nights in total. Will post some up soon, still sorting and editing

Did 2249 miles in 10 days, what a trip!
09-21-2017, 03:07 PM   #34

Original Poster
I also bought a 16-45 by samsung (identical to the pentax one) in mint condition for £105 delivered, so the kit lens is now collecting dust.

09-22-2017, 02:49 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I could see a nice three lens kit out of a 16-45 (seems like a nice lens, just not a light grabber), your fast 50, and then a 55-300. Some are quite inexpensive used although I would not get one with a plastic mount as it is a bit heavy for that sort of thing. Maybe 150 Euros used for one of the early ones?
09-22-2017, 03:06 AM   #36

Original Poster

---------- Post added 09-22-17 at 03:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I could see a nice three lens kit out of a 16-45 (seems like a nice lens, just not a light grabber), your fast 50, and then a 55-300. Some are quite inexpensive used although I would not get one with a plastic mount as it is a bit heavy for that sort of thing. Maybe 150 Euros used for one of the early ones?
funny you say that! I'm watching a 55-300 DA-L on ebay right now! I had that EXACT combination in mind!