Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
07-03-2017, 11:46 AM   #1

Portrait lens: 55mm f1.4, 70mm f2.4 or 77mm f1.8

I am considering buying a new portrait lens to pair with my K-3ii. I currently own the M50mm f1.7 and the M85mm f2. I find both of these difficult to focus without using live view. Also, I don't like the hexagonal highlight bokeh of the 50mm f1.7 when stopped down.

I think the DA*55 would be a nice focal length, but I have heard reports about inconsistent and slow auto focus.

The DA70 is appealing in it's size, focal length, and cool limited factor, but I am wondering if f2.4 is a limitation. I haven't seen many examples from this lens that have a really soft background.

The 77mm is a lens that I have always lusted after, but now I am wondering if it is a little long, and also too expensive.

I would love to hear peoples thoughts and see any example photos.

07-03-2017, 12:06 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ddbarchitect Quote
The 77mm is a lens that I have always lusted after, but now I am wondering if it is a little long, and also too expensive.
It is a bit difficult to use in smaller indoor places with a crop sensor, not too much different than an 85mm field of view imo.
07-03-2017, 12:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can check these resources:
Pentax Camera & Lens Sample Photo Search Engine - PentaxForums.com

Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

The DA 50mm f1.8 has the same optical design as the M 50mm f1.7, but it has rounded aperture blades, so the highlights are not hexagonal. And it probably has more modern lens coatings. Plus, it has AF and auto aperture, so it is full automatic. At the current price, its something you can snatch up and enjoy a lot. The other lenses you mention are on another level, though. That is why their price is higher.

The new HD DA limited lenses also have rounded aperture blades; unlike the previous SMC DA limited lenses.

You already have 50mm and 85mm, so you can probably imagine what 70 and 77 FoV is like. If you have a zoom lens you can zoom it to those focal lengths to see what they are like

I think none of those lenses will disappoint you. Look for good deals on the marketplace and on local listings, keh com and places like ebays. The last lens I got was DA 21mm and it truly is a Limited! Makes me want to get the DA 70mm next. I got lucky and was offered a decent deal. I couldnt buy a brand new one at full price

Last edited by Na Horuk; 07-03-2017 at 12:25 PM.
07-03-2017, 12:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am considering buying a new portrait lens to pair with my K-3ii. I currently own the M50mm f1.7 and the M85mm f2. I find both of these difficult to focus without using live view. Also, I don't like the hexagonal highlight bokeh of the 50mm f1.7 when stopped down.

I think the DA*55 would be a nice focal length, but I have heard reports about inconsistent and slow auto focus.

The DA70 is appealing in it's size, focal length, and cool limited factor, but I am wondering if f2.4 is a limitation. I haven't seen many examples from this lens that have a really soft background.

I would love to hear peoples thoughts and see any example photos.
Are thinking of just head shots or head+shoulders shots? For head+shoulders I think you'll want the shorter length of the DA*55, especially indoors. For just head shots I think you could use any of the three you mentioned.

07-03-2017, 01:00 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I own the M 85/2, several 50/1.4 the DA*55/1.4 and DA 70 Ltd.

You don't need to worry about speed of AF for portraiture but if you intend to track subject matter coming towards you the DA* fails miserably- - it does however exhibit fantastic bokeh and sharp and unforgiving I focus detail. I shoot it at F2-4 regularly.

The 70 is quite long for indoors shooting. It's a fantastic pancake... So small compared to the 55 which is a real lunk.
07-03-2017, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I honestly don't think you'd be disappointed with any of the 3 lenses in your post title, it's really a matter of figuring out which things about a lens are important to you.

The FA77 has a great reputation and a reasonably fast maximum aperture - solidly built and I think it's the heaviest of the trio. The DA70 is easily the best value of the 3, but for some the slightly slower aperture might be a downside - it is light and compact and beautifully built. The DA*55 does focus a bit slower than the other two, but its results are superb, with a pretty fast maximum aperture and of course the shorter focal length which is probably ideal for APS-C. As a user of all 3 I don't believe anyone can prove that one of these lenses is a better lens than the others - one may be better for a specific purpose or situation, but overall IQ they are all pretty close - Just my opinion

Oh, another minor point - the FA77 is the only one that is officially Full Frame (for future proofing?) - but I use both the DA70 and DA*55 in FF mode on the K1 and rarely do I notice any significant vignetting

Here's an example of the DA70 on the K1 at F6.3:

And the FA77 on the K5iis at F1.8:
07-03-2017, 01:39 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Buffy Quote
Are thinking of just head shots or head+shoulders shots? For head+shoulders I think you'll want the shorter length of the DA*55, especially indoors. For just head shots I think you could use any of the three you mentioned.
I don't do a lot of indoor shooting, but I was mostly concerned that the DA 70 is not fast enough to get a really soft background without getting so close to the subject that it is a head shot.

The 70 is really in the mix, because it would be a great travel companion to my DA 20-40mm.

07-03-2017, 01:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Most of my portrait shots here are with da70. some with fa31 or m85. But most with da70.
info is in right corner of every pic. Its a nice lens.. I'd wish a bit faster sometimes, yes. But i can manage.
Portraits - christophe gryspeert
07-03-2017, 02:03 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
You can check these resources:
Pentax Camera & Lens Sample Photo Search Engine - PentaxForums.com

Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

The DA 50mm f1.8 has the same optical design as the M 50mm f1.7, but it has rounded aperture blades, so the highlights are not hexagonal. And it probably has more modern lens coatings. Plus, it has AF and auto aperture, so it is full automatic. At the current price, its something you can snatch up and enjoy a lot. The other lenses you mention are on another level, though. That is why their price is higher.

The new HD DA limited lenses also have rounded aperture blades; unlike the previous SMC DA limited lenses.

You already have 50mm and 85mm, so you can probably imagine what 70 and 77 FoV is like. If you have a zoom lens you can zoom it to those focal lengths to see what they are like

I think none of those lenses will disappoint you. Look for good deals on the marketplace and on local listings, keh com and places like ebays. The last lens I got was DA 21mm and it truly is a Limited! Makes me want to get the DA 70mm next. I got lucky and was offered a decent deal. I couldnt buy a brand new one at full price
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
The DA 50mm f1.8 is certainly an inexpensive option. I tried looking at the comparison article in this forum, but the thing that gives one 100% crops from the different lens for comparison doesn't work. I tried it in three browsers and no luck in any of them.
07-03-2017, 02:06 PM   #10
Pentaxian

In addition, the DA70 does not do short distance very well. The MFD is quite long. Usually a head and shoulders prospect even on adults, and definitely on kids.

That said, when it delivers, it delivers like no other lens in my possession.
07-03-2017, 02:16 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
Most of my portrait shots here are with da70. some with fa31 or m85. But most with da70.
info is in right corner of every pic. Its a nice lens.. I'd wish a bit faster sometimes, yes. But i can manage.
Portraits - christophe gryspeert
Really nice work here, Chris. Thanks for for sharing. This collection is great for understanding framing/FOV/DOF of the DA70. That is really very helpful.
07-03-2017, 04:34 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The DA 50mm f1.8 is certainly an inexpensive option. I tried looking at the comparison article in this forum, but the thing that gives one 100% crops from the different lens for comparison doesn't work. I tried it in three browsers and no luck in any of them.
I think you would be hard pressed to find difference in the sharpness between DA 50mm f1.8 and M 50mm f1.7 (or A, F, FA 50mm f1.7)
Some say the F version is a hair sharper than the others, but it has noisy AF. The DA has rounded aperture blades, so it would have slightly smoother bokeh when stopped down between f2 - f4 (above that, it gets decent on the others as well). Maybe the DA has slightly stronger flare resistance or better contrasts on digital camera, if Pentax did any tweaks on the coatings. We don't know all the details about that. Just that the general optical design is practically the same since the M 50mm f1.7. I think for most photos the difference would be hard to tell, especially if you show photos to non-photographers
07-03-2017, 04:50 PM   #13
Forum Member

43mm would be a nice portrait focal length on the k-3.
07-03-2017, 06:06 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

FWIW I've pretty much settled on the DA*55 as my go-to in my little studio. It's got that little sumptin' that I can't exactly explain, but I know it when i see it.
Personally I think it's near a perfect portrait lens on APS-C: The oft-referenced Pixie Dust is strong in this one. . I like the captures I get with my Bower 85 too but it's just a tad too long for a smallish space but outdoors for planned portraits I'll grab the Bower first.
(EDIT: But in deference to LeRolls that's probably because I don't have an FA77. Nor his talent. Nor his experience. Nor his client quality.

In fact after considering it the only place I use the *55 is in studio. If I didn't love that space so much I don't think I'd have any need for it in all honesty. But in front of the backdrop it does wonders IMHO.

Last edited by gatorguy; 07-03-2017 at 07:50 PM.
07-03-2017, 06:45 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

While I don't think any of your options would be bad, my go-to portrait lenses were always the 43 and 77. The speed and rendering qualities of both lenses seem to enhance a portrait. A bad picture with either was always MY fault.