Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
07-09-2017, 12:23 PM   #31
Forum Member

I would find an in good shape dust free PKA or F series 50mm f1.7. Either has better snap contrast than the f 1.4, and a more contemporary image look than achieved by the M series. Plus the K and M lenses encumber the extra steps for non auto aperture indexed metering on the DSLR. ... The KA is of plastic focus and aperture rings construction, which means avoid one not kept cleanly pristine. The F series is built of beefy plastic and metal, and holds up well. Both have the finest optical formula for an apsc sensor crop portrait lens, without great cost investment. Their photos will offer in camera aperture control, and a refined imaging process. Proven reliability, one is MF, one AF. Both a dollar saving deal over DA limited lenses....Yet they show the best available color and resolution, like a lens costing a thousand more. Also, knowing how depth of field works will cinch portrait shots. Its not so much the lens as the shooting technique, composition, depth of field, and use of light employed for the shot. Begin with focus on the eye or eyes, stimulate the expression and pose desired, make sure the background and setting contribute to the desired effect.

Last edited by climbmountainway; 07-09-2017 at 03:44 PM.
07-09-2017, 03:47 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had the FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited since getting a $100 rebate deal from Pentax back when I was shooting film exclusively. I've subsequently been using it with all the many Pentax DSLR bodies I've owned. I can tell you this- it is fabulous whether with full-frame or APS-C. I think you'll fall in love and never look back. For portraiture or other uses. It is great also for catching candid portrait shots with APS-C especially due to its small, unobtrusive size, so it doesn't draw attention, and its great image quality. I have often carried it with my DA 20-40mm Limited and it works out just fine. I've even gotten some great bug/flower shots with it on APS-C being just far enough away as to not scare off the critters. It's f/1.8 aperture is very helpful in many situations, as well as providing a brighter VF. Shooting with it is a real pleasure. Fine handling, superb build quality, great IQ, absolutely wonderful bokeh- you will be very pleased.

Last edited by mikesbike; 07-09-2017 at 03:56 PM.
07-12-2017, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the DA 70mm, and love it for its sharpness, and compact size.

I've never used the 77mm, but from some of the examples here, I think I would like it.

Here's one example with the DA 70 with in camera pastel effect.

Mike
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
07-25-2017, 11:04 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
According to my extensive statistics, I use the DA*55 about 50% of my shots and the FA77 about 35-40%. Here's a few of my recent faves (ok, kinda chosen randomly....) with the FA77:

And a few with the DA*55:

And here's albums of it all:

FA77: https://www.flickr.com/gp/madmathmind/Y9y904
DA55: https://www.flickr.com/gp/madmathmind/72H1CV
Nice to some cosplay shot by #pentax

08-12-2017, 06:53 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've never had a DA*55, but I am sure OP will like it. Those cosplay shots look great. But I will say that I resisted the 77 for a long time, because I had a DA70 and a Bokina 90. But eventually I caved, and now the 77 is my favorite lens. I don't get results quite as good as LeRolls, for many reasons (ha ha ha), but it is really fantastic for taking pictures of people. I also have the 43, and that does darn well when you need a wider option as well.
09-29-2017, 01:37 PM   #36

Original Poster
Well, the DA 55mm f1.4 that I bought on EBay ended up traveling across the country a few times, but is is now in my hands. I took a few quick snaps last night, and made a couple "bokehoramas." It's amazing Lightroom can stitch this so cleanly. No great capture here, but the lens and technique definitely show some good potential.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
10-02-2017, 05:37 AM   #37

All above about FA 77 is a true and I highly recommend this lens for portrait, my friend like so much Da 50-135 for portrait work and is a good choice for K-3.