Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2017, 10:17 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Tamron AF SDM Compatible 7 Element 2x Teleconverter

has anyone used the tamron 2x SDM compatible converter on the K1 and if so how well did it work for you and also if anyone has used one on the K3 any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated. i am specifically thinking about using this on the old Sigma screw drive 50-500 and the DFA 150-450

07-06-2017, 11:35 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Moved to the lens forum. The product feedback forum is for feedback for Ricoh Imaging and does not accept replies.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-06-2017, 12:22 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nitehntr Quote
has anyone used the tamron 2x SDM compatible converter on the K1 and if so how well did it work for you and also if anyone has used one on the K3 any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated. i am specifically thinking about using this on the old Sigma screw drive 50-500 and the DFA 150-450
So, I'll start by saying I've never used this particular tele-converter, nor have I used the Sigma 50-500 or Pentax 150-450 (good start, right?! ).

That aside...

I've yet to use a 2x tele-converter that doesn't degrade IQ below what we consider acceptable these days, especially given the high-resolution sensors in our cameras. I use the Pentax HD 1.4x converter with the DA*60-250, and I'm very pleased with the results - but you can see a difference in IQ. I've tried a few different 1.4 / 1.5x TCs and some of them are pretty good, but they all affect IQ to some extent. In my experience, 2x converters are a step too far, depending on the subject matter and your expectations.

The biggest problem with any 2x TC is the loss of light. On the 50-500 at 500mm, the widest available lens aperture is - I think - f/6.3. Put a 2x TC on that, and you're now shooting 1000mm at f/13 (near enough) wide open. Even in very good light, you're going to have to keep your shutter speed down and/or pump up the ISO.
07-07-2017, 10:37 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nitehntr Quote
Sold my Tamron converter after trials with DA*300.
Let's blame Pentax for not offering a TC for fullframe within the last decade.