Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2008, 06:44 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Anybody know what this lens is?

I know a little bit about Takumar's but this is a new one on me.
Takumar SMC 4.5/20mm f Alpa Mint BOX - eBay (item 350088023841 end time Aug-18-08 10:20:06 PDT)

Last edited by straightshooter; 08-17-2008 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Removed image
08-17-2008, 06:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter

My guess is that it's a Takumar lens for an Alpa camera. As I recall they were made in Switzerland and very expensive, à la Leica. IIRC they were idiosyncratic in that the film advance was on the left side of the camera, and the shutter release was on the front and activated 90º in—rather than the 45º of, say, a Praktica. This would account for that protuberance on the lens, to let it reach the shutter button.

I didn't know that Pentax make any lenses for Alpas, that's a new one on me. I do know that they're very expensive to collect, do an eBay search for complete Alpa auctions and I think you'll find the prices are up there.

On the other hand, I could be full of beans. But that's my guess, anyway!
08-17-2008, 06:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Many years ago I seen many adds for the Alpa SLR camera. In the sixties. Pentax must have made a lens to fit it. The mount is simular to an Exakta/Topcon.

Dave
08-17-2008, 06:55 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Ok, slight correction. The film advance was on the right, not the left side of the camera, but it was at the front rather than the back, and actuated with your finger rather than your thumb. I should do research before I post.

08-17-2008, 07:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by G_Money Quote
My guess is that it's a Takumar lens for an Alpa camera. As I recall they were made in Switzerland and very expensive, à la Leica. IIRC they were idiosyncratic in that the film advance was on the left side of the camera, and the shutter release was on the front and activated 90º in—rather than the 45º of, say, a Praktica. This would account for that protuberance on the lens, to let it reach the shutter button.
Sounds like you're describing my Exakta VX. Talk about a quirky camera!
08-17-2008, 07:22 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks. I was just wondering why it was over $600 and what it fit (didn't think it would work on my SP II). I was not familiar with Alpha cameras.

CW
08-18-2008, 02:03 PM   #7

I think it is a normal Takumar 20mm lens with an adapter for the alpa-system.

You can read about the history of alpa on their website (ALPA of Switzerland - Manufacturer of fine cameras - The Photographic Platform). 1976 they built a new model based on the Chinon CE II Memotron with M42-screw-mount. In the 80s they build the Si 3000 with K-bayonet.

Andreas