Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2017, 05:34 AM   #1

Choosing between Samyang 16/2.0 and 14/2.8

Helle Fellow Pentaxians,

I'm looking for a good wide agle lens for my K-50 and I'm really interested in the two Samyangs mentioned in the title. I would really like to use them for some astrophotography (mostly milky way work with a tripod, though I may use if to do some piggyback photography on the equatorial mount) and landscape work (We'll be going to Wales/Brecon Beacons this summer and we've been to Norway, Scotland, that kind of landscape).

I'm not sure what to choose. I like the fast aperture of the 16 mm, but that isn't so much wider than the 18-135 that I use as a walkaround lens at the moment and that, of course is where the 14 or even 10 mm Samyang would add the extra FOV. What are your thoughts on this? I should probably mention that I live in The Netherlands and having more than 90 degree FOV doesn't really make too much sense given that I expect the bottom one third of the picture to be uninteresting foreground anyway due to the lack of high vantage points.

all input is appreciated.

hans

07-07-2017, 05:59 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Location: Out in the sticks,Suffolk,UK(or SE Asia,if I'm lucky!)
Photos: Gallery
The difference between 16 and 18mm is more than you would think, so don't discount the 16mm for that reason alone.
07-07-2017, 06:11 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I used the 14/2.8 for astrophotography with my K-5. It's a good lens. Sharp even at f2.8. Low coma distortion. It has other distortions but that's more a concern for architecture, and IMO not noticeable for astro or landscapes. The 14 is full frame and I can keep using it with my new K-1.

I have no firsthand experience with the 16. It is one stop faster so there's potential for shortening exposures by half. Check lenstip.com to see if they tested it for coma distortion.

16mm is wider than you might think from the numbers. The 2mm vs 18mm makes a bigger difference than the numbers suggest. Search for online field of view simulators to get a better feel for it.
07-07-2017, 07:42 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have the 16 and it is an excellent lens. I also had the 18-135 and it 'feels' considerably wider than the wide end of the zoom, and IQ is much better too...it's sharper, significantly faster and distortion is better handled. You do lose out of AF and WR of course. But I've found that a lot less important than I thought I would.

I can't speak for the 14mm...but the 16mm is easier to handle I would guess...fairly normal filter threads, smaller less bulbous front element. However, the 16 is APSC only, whereas the 14 is FF compatible, if that makes a difference.

07-07-2017, 09:47 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got the 14mm long ago. Had to exchange it because of decentering. Second copy is still not perfect, but eh, acceptable enough. Very sharp lens, though. And very affordable!
When the 16mm came out, I researched it and I think today, I would go with 16mm instead. Faster aperture, not as awkwardly wide, removable hood, allows filters (double check these stats, I'm typing off the top of my head), fewer reports of QC issues like decentering..14mm is really really wide and it has a lot of distortion. You need to be really close to whatever you are photographing, or you get just the ground and sky through most of the shot.

The main downsides of the 16mm are that it costs a little more, and that it is rated for APSC. The 14mm is FF compatible, so you can use it on film or K-1, and it is really affordable.
Like I said, today, if I had no ultrawide, I would go with 16mm f2.

If you look at the Samyang club thread, you can see lots of photos taken with 10mm, 14mm, 16mm and other Samyang primes. Samyang is building a good reputation
07-07-2017, 10:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Hello, all.

I bought the Rokinon 14mm earlier this year, and love it. I've read that the Samyang, Rokinon and others are all the same lens.

It compliments my 16-45 and 17-50mm zooms very well.

Very good for interiors and group shots. The very wide field of view and proximity to a group means you can get 20 or more people in the frame in a medium-sized room.

This lens is about as wide as you'd want to go before dealing with extreme distortion.

It's a little hard to focus for me, but I use a focusing hood, and it works great.

I would get the 14mm over the 16mm.

Once you start using it, you'll probably love it.

Mike
07-07-2017, 10:47 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
Helle Fellow Pentaxians,

I'm looking for a good wide agle lens for my K-50 and I'm really interested in the two Samyangs mentioned in the title. I would really like to use them for some astrophotography (mostly milky way work with a tripod, though I may use if to do some piggyback photography on the equatorial mount) and landscape work (We'll be going to Wales/Brecon Beacons this summer and we've been to Norway, Scotland, that kind of landscape).

I'm not sure what to choose. I like the fast aperture of the 16 mm, but that isn't so much wider than the 18-135 that I use as a walkaround lens at the moment and that, of course is where the 14 or even 10 mm Samyang would add the extra FOV. What are your thoughts on this? I should probably mention that I live in The Netherlands and having more than 90 degree FOV doesn't really make too much sense given that I expect the bottom one third of the picture to be uninteresting foreground anyway due to the lack of high vantage points.

all input is appreciated.

hans
i dont know the 16mm lens but i have the vivitar version of the 14 mm (vivitar call it 13mm) while it wont really upset astro photography there is strong barrel distortion in the lens, it is not a fisheye, quite, but it also is not a true rectalinear lens either.

for a walk around, depending on the body, it may be good or not. i really had fun with my PZ-1 and B&W film in NYC when i bought the lens because it is really really wide on full frame. on APS-C you are better off with 10mm in my case i use a sigma 10-20 because the extra 4 mm in the wide end really help especially when touring old cities. where it could help over an ultra wide zoom is indoors being F2.8 compared to the F4-5.6 of the sigma 10-20 i have
07-07-2017, 11:51 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I went from 18 to 16. much wider indeed.
Then i went to 15. Then i went to 12. Maybe it"s just me, but if i want to go wide, i prefer really wide.

If i had to choose between the 2 focals for landscape, i'd go 14.
But that would have to be a pretty rectalinear lens to be honest.
this said maybe the da14 2.8 is an option. Just a thought.

07-07-2017, 04:08 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Another thing to think about is if you're going to be using filters on the lenses. The 16mm f/2 takes 77mm sized filters, and for the 14mm f2.8 you will have to buy a filter holder along with any filters you choose to get.
07-07-2017, 06:27 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
Another thing to think about is if you're going to be using filters on the lenses. The 16mm f/2 takes 77mm sized filters, and for the 14mm f2.8 you will have to buy a filter holder along with any filters you choose to get.
But what filters would you use, the FOV is too wide for a polarizer, you get non uniforms sky's. The lens coatings are actually pretty good against flair
07-08-2017, 09:13 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
But what filters would you use, the FOV is too wide for a polarizer, you get non uniforms sky's. The lens coatings are actually pretty good against flair
I use NDs and grads with mine, to balance out (huge at this FoV) bright skies and foreground shadows, and/or for long exposures.
07-09-2017, 12:28 AM   #12

Original Poster
Many thanks for all the suggestions and input. I've compared the 16 to the 18 mm FOV, and it does matter. For the moment I'm leaning to the 16 mm and I guess that if I want to really wilde, I'll just have to start stitching pictures into a panorama.

Again, many thanks,
Hans
07-09-2017, 05:31 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
Many thanks for all the suggestions and input. I've compared the 16 to the 18 mm FOV, and it does matter. For the moment I'm leaning to the 16 mm and I guess that if I want to really wilde, I'll just have to start stitching pictures into a panorama.
Yeah, you can stitch, but 16mm is really wide. It will almost never be needed. And down the road you can still decide to get an 12mm or 11mm lens. There are so many new manufacturers of UWA lenses, I think they will become only more affordable within the next two years. I think you made a good choice, and you can always supplement it later, should you see a need for it. I doubt you will have that need, though