Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-07-2017, 09:18 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sigma 14 mm question

I see that Sigma is releasing a new lens:
Sigma 14mm 1.8 DG HSM Art | Sigma Corporation of America

What's stopping them from releasing it in K mount, too? Is there a dimension limitation?

07-07-2017, 09:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by smigol Quote
What's stopping them from releasing it in K mount, too? Is there a dimension limitation?
Could be register distance, as some lens designs work better at shorter or bigger register distances. Pentax' is pretty big, so that is rarely a problem, if ever. Mirrorless lenses are usually made for very small register distance, for example, but I don't think they would need massive modification to be Kmount compatible. Another problem could be the size of the back element, as K mount has a relatively small diameter. The Sigma mount is actually really similar to Kmount, though, so if it comes in Sigma mount, I don't think there is anything mechanically preventing Kmount. I think Canon has the same register distance as Pentax K and Sigma has the same diameter as Pentax K.

But! We find that Sigma is simply not interested in Kmount because too few units get sold. Similarly with Zeiss and some other manufacturers. Some manufacturers even said they would release a certain lens in Kmount if someone would give them a guaranteed number of sales (like, 100, 200 preorders) (though, Sigma has not said this; Zeiss and Zenit said that)

Seems like a cool lens. 14mm with such wide aperture is pretty amazing. And it doesn't even look that massive. Compared to some other recent Sigma art lenses (35mm, 50mm) it looks like its a very reasonable size. 1.1kg for an ultra-wide superfast FF lens! Definitely attractive

Last edited by Na Horuk; 07-07-2017 at 09:53 AM.
07-07-2017, 10:13 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I received a response from Sigma:

QuoteQuote:
Thank you for contacting Sigma USA. There are no plans to make any additional K-mount lenses at this time.
To me, this means that no new Sigma design lenses will support K mount. Seems a bit restrictive, but I can appreciate the business choice.
07-07-2017, 10:34 AM   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

any reason why the current Pentax DA 14mm f2.8 wouldn't be a viable alternative?

07-07-2017, 11:12 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
any reason why the current Pentax DA 14mm f2.8 wouldn't be a viable alternative?
It doesn't have Art in the name.
07-07-2017, 11:14 AM   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
It doesn't have Art in the name.

now I understand....

thank you for the clarification....
07-07-2017, 12:03 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The DA 14mm isn't full frame.

But then, the IRIX 15mm is and cheaper, to boot.

https://storeeu.irixlens.com/lenses/9-irix-15mm-f24-firefly.html#/27-version-for_pentax

07-07-2017, 12:27 PM   #8
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

The DA 14mm isn't full frame.

But then, the IRIX 15mm is and cheaper, to boot.

Irix 15mm f/2.4 Firefly

thank you - you did not specify that in the original post...
07-07-2017, 01:47 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Thank you for contacting Sigma USA. There are no plans to make any additional K-mount lenses at this time.
Ouch, that's awfully clear and straightforward!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-07-2017, 06:44 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
The thread isn't about finding an UWA lens. Its about whether Sigma will release that new lens in Kmount or not. And it seems they won't.
The Sigma has some good things going for itself, it is AF, UWA, really fast aperture, FF compatible, and Sigma has been making pretty good Art series lenses recently.
But you are right, there are many UWA primes available these days from Pentax, Laowa, Irix, Samyang,.. (though, none of them have such fast aperture; and yes, its debatable whether anyone would even need such max aperture at that focal length on FF)
07-08-2017, 05:43 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax is a small community, Sigma's latest lenses have focused poorly on Pentax, and we tend to favor Pentax lenses even when the Sigma alternative works. Sounds like 3 strikes, probably why they've given up on us.
07-09-2017, 10:12 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Pentax is a small community, Sigma's latest lenses have focused poorly on Pentax, and we tend to favor Pentax lenses even when the Sigma alternative works. Sounds like 3 strikes, probably why they've given up on us.
Actually I think the community is even cheaper. Looking for M42, M, K, A, old FA lenses rather than current Pentax glass. Looking for cheap third party lenses or used alternatives. Pentax is not offering a lot of new glass, but one reason is that we need to buy the glass they offer.
We don't buy enough Pentax, we don't buy enough Sigma, ... Pentax promotes the FF system with high spec lenses, similar to Sigma Art series. Very interesting concept. I am happy with it, but I am not sure what the community does. Lot's of complains about lack of lenses, but check the threads to figure what most of us here are willing to pay for.
Pentax cameras deserve Pentax glass, third party should be an option for exotic glass - to fill some gaps.
Sigma still provides glass for Sigma SA mount, i think that community is even smaller .

Make Pentax strong again and Sigma will jump on the train as well.
Or start dreaming that Pentax has a secret arrangement with Sigma to promote the ART series as Pentax brand. Pentax takes the risk to sell large numbers and we happily buy ART lenses branded D-FA*. OK, I will be trialed for treason now, but for a bright future we need lenses or dreams.