Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2017, 05:42 AM   #1

SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Limited Macro on K-1 in FF Modus

Hello

I today did some testing mit my SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Limited Macro on the K-1.

It was recognized as APS-C lens. When i switch it manually to FF Mode, it works fine! I see no vignetting at all!
Has someone experience the same

Gérard

07-08-2017, 05:54 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, I think there were reports that the DA 35mm f2.8 macro covers the FF image but only at some focus distances and apertures. So try focusing to infinity, then to minimum focus distance and something in between. You will get suboptimal corners in some focus distances, and completely black corners on some other. And aperture also plays some effect. You can try f2.8, f7.1, f16 at each focus distance to see how the image circle changes.
Feel free to post some sample photos to answer this question once and for all

Edit: Here is a really old thread with an test of DA 35mm macro on full frame film camera:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/179269-tes...ull-frame.html
This test might not be enough to give the full story, but it is pretty decent. Someone with a K-1 could redo the tests much faster than someone with a film camera

Last edited by Na Horuk; 07-08-2017 at 06:08 AM.
07-08-2017, 05:58 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I am definitely dialed into this thread. I have a DA 35 macro and am very interested if it covers FF. I am planning to upgrade my K-5 in the next 12 months and if it is FF compatible, even under certain conditions, this could sway me in what I upgrade to. The DA 35 Macro SMC is one of my favorite lenses.
07-08-2017, 06:32 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can get away with using this lens in FF mode, but IMHO it stops being a Limited as far as image quality goes. Purple fringing can easily occur outside of the APS-C image area. At wide apertures, corner sharpness is poor, while at narrow apertures and close focusing distances, corner vignetting intensifies, though nothing gets fully cut off unless you deploy the hood. The edges are really quite good after you stop down past F4, though. If you can settle with the corners looking a little funky the rest shouldn't matter too much when shooting macros.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: