Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2006, 10:37 AM   #1

Old Pentax 50mm Prime

I have and old 50mm 1:1.4 Pentax-A manual focus prime. Am I to undererstand that if MF is NOT selected on the camera (K100D), that the shutter will not fire unless focus is achieved? Additionally, if MF IS selected the shutter WILL fire regardless of focus setting, and either mode will offer the "in focus" indicator in the viewfinder along with Beep if activated? So it is not necessary to switch to MF on the camera as long as the camera focus point can be satisfied?

I also find no mention of whether the lens will function properly in Auto Pict and P modes, just Tv, Av and M modes. I have used the lens in Auto Pict and P modes with apparantly correct exposure in various lighting conditions.

In short, it seems that the lens works exactly like the kit 18-55 exposure wise with the obvious exception of Auto Focus.

I also think there may be issues with flash as well (A lens only).

While I understand this is explained in detail in the manual, my old thick skull can't seem to decipher it to my satisfaction.

Any light that can be shed will be greatly appreciated!

Dan

Last edited by PentaxDan; 10-03-2006 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Addition
10-03-2006, 12:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not sure what the quiestion is. I can say my 50mm 1.7 A lens works fine in all modes with the aprature ring set to A. I have not found any issues when using my Sigma 500 flash with the DS and this lens combo. I think if you help us understand the question better I am sure someone will be able to help you. Or could be my thick skull can't read between the lines in your post. Good luck
10-03-2006, 03:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

With A Pentax lenses you get all functionality except autofocus.
10-03-2006, 07:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi Dan

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxDan Quote
I have and old 50mm 1:1.4 Pentax-A manual focus prime. Am I to undererstand that if MF is NOT selected on the camera (K100D), that the shutter will not fire unless focus is achieved? Additionally, if MF IS selected the shutter WILL fire regardless of focus setting, and either mode will offer the "in focus" indicator in the viewfinder along with Beep if activated? So it is not necessary to switch to MF on the camera as long as the camera focus point can be satisfied?
With a MF lens mounted, your shutter will fire whenever you press the shutter button, it doeesn't matter if the camera body is on AF or MF.

With an AF lens mounted and camera body in AF mode, the shutter will only fire if the focus indicator is on.

With any Pentax-A lenses, you will get the full functionality of AF lenses, minus the auto focus of course.

With a Pentax-M or Pentax-K lens, you can use the lens in M mode and press AE-L to meter. The focus indicator will still work.

Hope that helps.

cheers
Kenny

10-03-2006, 08:39 PM   #5
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kjao Quote
Hi Dan

With a MF lens mounted, your shutter will fire whenever you press the shutter button, it doeesn't matter if the camera body is on AF or MF.

Kenny
Not quite right.

With the camera on autofocus the shutter will only fire when you have focus confirmation.

This "feature" can be used as a "focus trap" when photographing moving objects:

Set the camera in autofocus mode. Manually focus on a point which the object is heading towards, press the shutter, and the camera will fire when the object enters the zone of focus, and focus confirmation is achieved.