Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2017, 06:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Carl Zeiss Jena 70-210

Saw one of these advertised locally on Facebook for $40AUD. Couldn't find much about it online and was wondering if anyone knew much about this lens? Would be using it on a K1.

07-08-2017, 08:06 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Made in Asia (Japan and S. Korea mostly), not made by CZJ and not designed by CZJ. A few clues regarding authenticity:
  • These lenses are not part of the official Zeiss (Jena or reunified) history
  • The Jena entity's zoom offerings were limited to a Vario-Pancolar 35-70 and a Vario-Sonnar 80-200 (also labeled Vario-Prakticar) in M42 and Praktica-B mounts only
  • The lenses in question are the only Jena-labeled lenses in mounts to fit Japanese bayonet-mount bodies (Jena output supported DDR cameras exclusively)
There are a number of stories about these lenses (mostly zooms in multiple mounts to fit Japanese cameras). The two most common in circulation are:
  1. The lenses were made under license in Asia in a last ditch effort by the Jena entity to field product during the time of German reunification.
  2. The lenses were made under contract in Asia by makers in the house-brand lenses for importers in Britain and France who had distribution rights to the "Carl Zeiss Jena" name. These are the so-called "British Zeiss" lenses.
#2 has the best documentation, but is not popular with those who like to believe they own the real deal CZJ product. Here is a link to a manual focus lens forum thread where the subject is tossed around and a few company names are also mentioned.

Carl Zeiss Jena Zoom lenses - anyone? (Page 1) - Manual Lens: Usage - Manual Focus Forum

Are the Asian CZJ lenses any good? Everything I have read indicates that quality is typical for house-brand lenses from the 1980s. Unless one is in the spirit of adventure, I caution against spending other than house-brand prices for those lenses.

BTW...there are similar bogus-labeled lenses that bear the Exakta and Alpa names. With a single exception, neither company made or sold lenses branded to their name. The single exception was the Exakta "Exaktar" 54/3.5, a rebranded Meyer Primotar bundled by Ihagee with some early 1950s Exakta bodies.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-08-2017 at 08:19 PM.
07-08-2017, 08:19 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't use my legacy glass as much a I used to, or as much as I should, but I have a Sigma 75-200 (Sigma 75-200mm F3.8 Autofocus Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database) which is supposedly of CZJ design, and I have no plans of getting rid of it. If I were you, unless you can't spare $40AUD, I'd snatch that lens up. I know I've certainly spent more on an evening's bar tab, and you can always sell it later if it proves not for you.
07-08-2017, 09:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for info. I suppose the first question should have been what sort of mount would it have, screw or bayonet?

Photo attached.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
07-08-2017, 09:57 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
Thanks for info. I suppose the first question should have been what sort of mount would it have, screw or bayonet?

Photo attached.
It could be either. The lens pictured is the common Japanese or Korean product seen on eBay and has been sold there in several different mounts including: M42, Nikon F, Pentax-K, Minolta MD, Konica, Canon FD, and Olympus OM. I would contact the seller for additional information. With any luck, you can arrange an in-person look-see and take a few sample shots to evaluate on the spot.

Steve
07-09-2017, 03:03 PM   #6
UMC

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote

Photo attached.
A) The lens shown in the picture is identical to a Cosina 70-210 4.5-5.6 model. Although nobody really knows how the Japanese industry was interlinked, it is common belief that Cosina produced its own lenses. Therefore I think it is safe to say that the CZJ 70-210 4.5-5.6 is made by Cosina.
B) The lens shown in the picture does not seem to have a K-mount. If you look closely on the right side of the aperture ring, you will notice a nib or a knob, wich is definitely much bigger than the "A"-Button on the KA veriant. My guess is that this lens has a Minolta MD mount.
07-09-2017, 04:48 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I'd say that's in Olympus OM mount - judging by the lens release button on the lens itself, and the rear cap looks like an OEM Olympus (they're pretty thick).
07-09-2017, 06:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The lens is being sold with a Pentax camera from 1985 so I am assuming a Pentax mount. The ad is gone now however I do know the person so if I bump into him I will ask.

07-10-2017, 03:35 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I used to have a CZJ 28-70 in Pentax mount. I paid about $40 for it (used) in the mid-90s.

At the time I thought I had made the world's best deal. Upon a bit of testing it wasn't that great a lens, and investigation showed it machanically identical to a Sigma lens of the same vintage. So not a bad deal at $40, but not "$40 for a Zeiss?!", either...

Our theory at the time was that it was a simple licensing thing...

-Eric