Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2017, 06:32 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
Or two. Or maybe three. On a good day. At the frame centre ...
Hadn't we concluded some time ago you had a bad copy, KH? Honestly, it's not our problem our lenses are up to spec.

07-09-2017, 08:30 PM - 1 Like   #17
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks to the nicer starbursts I favor the SMC version of the 15mm, but the newer coatings and rounded aperture blades certainly benefit the other 4 primes. We do have a comparative in depth review on the homepage.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-10-2017, 02:13 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I recently picked up a new DA 15, and then a friend gave me the SMC 15 to compare the two. I found in many daylight type tests where I shot the same scene from a tripod just switching the lenses between shots, that the newer DA 15 seemed to have a bit more pop and contrast to the color, and therefore those images were a bit more appealing. However, when I did night test shots with the two lenses, there was no comparison. The SMC 15 had really great startbursts with fine points, as you see in the sample photos above. The DA 15 was blah at best and really took stopping down to get any starburst effect, and then it was still somewhat marginal (my DA^16-50 does much nicer starbursts). So, if you think you're oriented towards daylight work, I'd go with the new DA15. If you see yourself pursuing a lot of night photography where you are after starbursts, then go for the SMC 15, and if you're as nutty as I am, you'll end up with both for the different scenarios....
That is very interesting. Your findings re the HD version seems to confirm what the reviews here say. Good excuse to get both lenses in addition to the WA zoom I guess!

---------- Post added 07-10-17 at 02:16 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Thanks to the nicer starbursts I favor the SMC version of the 15mm, but the newer coatings and rounded aperture blades certainly benefit the other 4 primes. We do have a comparative in depth review on the homepage.
Thanks Adam. Funny enough, I read the USER reviews but skipped the main review on the homepage. I normally enter the forums direct through a link in my update emails so rarely see the front page!
07-10-2017, 04:08 AM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
That is very interesting. Your findings re the HD version seems to confirm what the reviews here say. Good excuse to get both lenses in addition to the WA zoom I guess!
[snip]
LBA is a disease, and I'm starting to think it's contagious - I'd wish you best of luck on a quick recovery, but then again, what would be the fun in that?

07-10-2017, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #20

Have you read this post? After I read this, I decided to go with HD version and totally satisfied.
I prefer Round iris diaphragm to Starbursts.
HD version is 189g while smc version is 212g, which is about 10% lighter magically in its size!
I think you 'll be happy with either one, though.
07-10-2017, 01:53 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
I couldn't agree more. This might be a bit off topic but It seems like Original Poster is interesting in get a DA15, so this could be helpful for the OP when use the DA15 (or any Wide-angle lens). Note that Field curvature is common (Read more here) and it is more pronounce on a higher pixel density sensor like K-3.

Mostly on landscape photography; If you want the whole frame sharped using DA15, try focus 1/3 from the far corner of the frame.
Thank you pakinjapan for the focusing tip. I will try it on my next outing.
07-10-2017, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
Thank you pakinjapan for the focusing tip. I will try it on my next outing.
Your welcome, and if you have time to read the blog link, it could be more helpful because my tip can not be used for "all" circumstances. For some particular scene, you might want to focus in the center, etc.
Hope you will enjoy the lens.

07-11-2017, 12:18 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yukon-bearspirit Quote
Have you read this post? After I read this, I decided to go with HD version and totally satisfied.
I prefer Round iris diaphragm to Starbursts.
HD version is 189g while smc version is 212g, which is about 10% lighter magically in its size!
I think you 'll be happy with either one, though.
Thanks for that. Very useful comparison. The photos from the HD version do look very nice.