Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2017, 12:37 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My Meyer/Goerlitz 50 f1.8 is broken so the only bad one, the other 11 are all good....favourite is M50mm f1.7(3 copies)

07-18-2017, 06:35 AM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gerbermiester Quote
Wow! That was not what I had expected from the FA 50mm f/1.7. My copy of the F 50mm f/1.7 (which I believe is the same optical design) left me really disappointed. Its saving grace was its great sharpness. I'll see if I can dig up some examples of the bokeh I've been talking about. Perhaps I had a lemon?

Here's a sample I found from the F 50mm @ 1.7

First of all, this is clearly NOT my best work, but I hope it illustrates what I'm talking about .
The bokeh, to me, is very busy and the specular highlights are rather hard edged (comdom like). I'd upload more, but I sold the lens after keeping it for about a week.
I think the lens did fine... it blurred out the background smoothly. But it won't turn your background into something different, it's still whatever background you choose... if the background is not complimentary to the subject, the lens can't change that...
07-23-2017, 01:16 AM   #78
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I think the lens did fine... it blurred out the background smoothly. But it won't turn your background into something different, it's still whatever background you choose... if the background is not complimentary to the subject, the lens can't change that...
I agree with you on that everything you said after, "it blurred out the background smoothly"! If you take a look at the fringes on the oof highlights in the trees you'll see what I was trying to get across. Thank you for your comments, I hope this helps foster understanding with what I'm talking about here.

Again, a lot of what makes us like or dislike a lens is subjective between photographers. People are still out there buying meyer optik gorlitz triopans! While most lenses have limitations that the photographer will have to work around, personally, I found this one's to be particularly aggravating. Like the FA 50mm f/1.4 that I sold, the F 50mm f/1.7 had me distracted while creating photos. Trying to isolate a subject with shallow DOF would frequently yield shots with distracting backgrounds, the opposite of my intention while opening up the aperture. So, I found myself trying to avoid making images with point light sources in the background because I knew they would be rendered as eye-catching hard edged blobs.

But, on this lens, I clearly have a dissenting opinion from the norm. As always, your mileage may vary!
07-23-2017, 02:56 AM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
EDIT: Redundant, DA50 gets a lot of respect around here.

Last edited by pres589; 07-23-2017 at 05:05 AM.
07-23-2017, 11:48 AM - 2 Likes   #80
bxf
Veteran Member

I'm not keeping notes, but it's entirely possible that just about every Pentax 50mm lens in existence has received at least one vote in this thread. Now, I'm still waiting for Digitalis to chime in here, since,as well all know, he owns every lens relevant to this topic. And I wouldn't be surprised if he has more than one copy of some
07-23-2017, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #81
Pentaxian

Hi Pres589, hope this helps your orignial question. One's the DA 50mm 1.8 on film, the other's the F 50mm f/1.7

07-24-2017, 07:33 PM   #82
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cabessius Quote
That makes 34... GOD level!!!
Has @Digitalis chimed in on this thread yet? IIRC he has well over 100 50mm lenses, and I'm sure has an opinion on each of them....