Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2017, 12:47 PM   #61
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SunnyG. Quote
which is the best 50mm k mount lens?
I must admit to having a wee soft spot for my two... "Special Lady” (Pentax-A 50mm F1.2), “Femme Fatale” (Pentax-A 50mm F2.8 Macro), as they always deliver when asked.

07-16-2017, 12:57 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Where's the 50mm f1.2? Or the primotar 50mm f2.8 with soap bubble bokeh?
Gimme a break!!! There are more focal lenghts than 50mm!!
1.2s are so expensive, anyway IŽll surely end up buying one. A K series of course, not an A fan.
Never considered the Primotar, but a Volna-9 is in my wishlist after I saw some pics at the Bokeh Thread.
07-16-2017, 02:44 PM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Has anyone mentioned the M50 f4 Macro yet? The 3D effect and general pixie dust happening with that lens, from samples I've seen, seem quite impressive!
07-16-2017, 02:56 PM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Of the 50mm lenses I've owned (Super Tak 50mm f/1.4, Super Tak 55mm f/1.8, Helios 55mm f/2, Pentax-M 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax-A 50mm f/2, Pentax-F 50mm f/1.7, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, and finally the Pentax-DA 50mm f/1.8) I have to admit the cheap little DA lens is my favorite by a pretty large margin.

It's fast focusing, accurate, sharp from wide open, low ca's, great flare resistance, pleasant near and far oof area, absent specular highlight fringing, full-frame compatible, small, and lightweight to boot. I like the smart design it's got that doesn't expose the inner lens barrel to damage while focusing in and out and, simultaneously, creates a sort of built in hood while the front element is recessed during focusing on distant subjects. All in all, the DA punches well above it's price point.

My least favorite would be the FA 50mm f/1.7 due to its awful purple fringing and garish rendering of specular highlights (it's the poster child of rolled up condom bokeh).

As with anything, take my advice with a grain of salt, much of what people like and dislike about their lenses is subjective.

Last edited by Gerbermiester; 07-16-2017 at 03:51 PM.
07-17-2017, 03:47 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I must admit to having a wee soft spot for my two... "Special Lady” (Pentax-A 50mm F1.2), “Femme Fatale” (Pentax-A 50mm F2.8 Macro), as they always deliver when asked.
Well the A 50/1.2 is really special! I thought the FA 50mm f2.8 was better than the A version.

---------- Post added 07-17-17 at 03:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Cabessius Quote
Gimme a break!!! There are more focal lenghts than 50mm!!
1.2s are so expensive, anyway IŽll surely end up buying one. A K series of course, not an A fan.
Never considered the Primotar, but a Volna-9 is in my wishlist after I saw some pics at the Bokeh Thread.
But the other focal length doesn't have so much variety! Well except for the 35mm I guess!

---------- Post added 07-17-17 at 03:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Has anyone mentioned the M50 f4 Macro yet? The 3D effect and general pixie dust happening with that lens, from samples I've seen, seem quite impressive!
Well in that case, I definitely need to check it out!

---------- Post added 07-17-17 at 03:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Gerbermiester Quote
Of the 50mm lenses I've owned (Super Tak 50mm f/1.4, Super Tak 55mm f/1.8, Helios 55mm f/2, Pentax-M 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax-A 50mm f/2, Pentax-F 50mm f/1.7, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, and finally the Pentax-DA 50mm f/1.8) I have to admit the cheap little DA lens is my favorite by a pretty large margin.

It's fast focusing, accurate, sharp from wide open, low ca's, great flare resistance, pleasant near and far oof area, absent specular highlight fringing, full-frame compatible, small, and lightweight to boot. I like the smart design it's got that doesn't expose the inner lens barrel to damage while focusing in and out and, simultaneously, creates a sort of built in hood while the front element is recessed during focusing on distant subjects. All in all, the DA punches well above it's price point.

My least favorite would be the FA 50mm f/1.7 due to its awful purple fringing and garish rendering of specular highlights (it's the poster child of rolled up condom bokeh).

As with anything, take my advice with a grain of salt, much of what people like and dislike about their lenses is subjective.
LOL condom bokeh! You got me there! Pentax has the most interesting list of 50mms. I don't think any other brand has such variety.
07-17-2017, 08:03 AM - 2 Likes   #66
Pentaxian

I'm pretty sure I mentioned it, if I didn't, I should have That lens is a perfect example of why one should have multiple 50s. It's not going to be a low light lens, but when f4 and above are called upon, it's an unbeatable 50 that makes one look like a better photographer than one actually is...

So why I keep my 50s...

M 50 f4 Macro - macro capabilities (1:2), always has good sharpness and rendering from wide open, images are so pleasing with a 3D pop at times and I do think there's pixel dust sprinkled on that lens...
M 50 1.7 - the best all-arounder? f1.7 is plenty fast (just not as fast as f1.4...), colors and sharpness are great, some 3D pop and pixie dust is there...
Rikenon XR 50 1.4 - the weakest 50 I have, as it is pretty bad wide open with unpredictably nervous bokeh, yet from f2 on it all comes together and it gives a 3D effect that no other lens I've seen can reproduce. Mine is currently stuck at f1.4 with a stripped screw that doesn't come off, so it hasn't seen action and has been replaced by the...
Rikenon P 50 1.4 - this fixes all issues with the previous XR version - sharp from wide open if only ever slightly dreamy when pixel peeping but even that is fixable in PP. Stopped down it's a sharpness monster but the field curvature seems a bigger problem than any other 50 I've ever tried. Still, it's usually my go-to 50 now.
F 50 1.7 - I bought it to have an AF version of the 50 1.7 optical formula. Almost as good as the M 50 1.7 wide open, just a tiny tad softer. Great all arounder to do low light events and portraits in situations when I need to do things quickly such as with my kids, it gets its fair share of use that way. It gets used quite a lot in basketball season.
K 55 f2 - it's my least used "50" but I can't come to part with it. It's as good as any 50 I have at any comparable aperture except for the fact that it loses contrast quickly in bright scenes and in a way that is not that easily fixable in PP. I never got a proper hood for it and that needs to change, then I think I'll use it more But for portraits I think it's unbeatable in my current setup - 55mm *is* the perfect portrait FL in APS-C.

And just because... the picture on flickr with most "likes" from each one, plus 3 I don't own anymore - Sears 50 1.7 and Sears 50 f2 (both rebadged Rikenons). I also had an M 50 f2 that is now trash (son dropped it, focus got completely stuck, elements are probably loose, not worth fixing).

M 50 f4 Macro

Rikenon P 50 1.4

F 50 1.7

K 55 f2

Rikenon XR 50 1.4

M 50 1.7

Auto Sears 50 f2

Auto Sears 50 1.7

Conclusion: all 50s are great
07-17-2017, 08:18 AM   #67
Pentaxian

As the OP may have gathered, we are finding it hard to reach an agreement on this

I would say that the great thing about 50mm lenses is that there is none which is perfect, which is great because it means that the journey never ends...

07-17-2017, 08:38 AM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
ChristianRock, thanks for showing off your pictures. A question; if that F50 1.7 is in good working order, any reason why you're saying that your Ricoh P 50 is getting the most use?
07-17-2017, 11:11 AM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FA 50/1.7. The Bokeh is so hideous. I don't know how I can live with it...

07-17-2017, 12:45 PM   #70
Pentaxian

Wow! That was not what I had expected from the FA 50mm f/1.7. My copy of the F 50mm f/1.7 (which I believe is the same optical design) left me really disappointed. Its saving grace was its great sharpness. I'll see if I can dig up some examples of the bokeh I've been talking about. Perhaps I had a lemon?

Here's a sample I found from the F 50mm @ 1.7

First of all, this is clearly NOT my best work, but I hope it illustrates what I'm talking about .
The bokeh, to me, is very busy and the specular highlights are rather hard edged (comdom like). I'd upload more, but I sold the lens after keeping it for about a week.

Last edited by Gerbermiester; 07-23-2017 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Add Pictures
07-17-2017, 01:07 PM   #71
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Well the A 50/1.2 is really special!
I like to think so.

I thought the FA 50mm f2.8 was better than the A version.
I'm a manual kinda guy, especially for macro stuff.
07-17-2017, 01:13 PM   #72
Pentaxian

ChristianRock, thanks for showing off your pictures. A question; if that F50 1.7 is in good working order, any reason why you're saying that your Ricoh P 50 is getting the most use?
All my 50s are great lenses. They all get use. The Rikenon opens to f1.4, is sharp from wide open, has the best bokeh (tie with K 55 f2), grrat "3d pop" and a good manual focus feel...
07-17-2017, 01:19 PM - 1 Like   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gerbermiester Quote
Wow! That was not what I had expected from the FA 50mm f/1.7. My copy of the F 50mm f/1.7 (which I believe is the same optical design) left me really disappointed. Its saving grace was its great sharpness. I'll see if I can dig up some examples of the bokeh I've been talking about. Perhaps I had a lemon?

Here's a sample I found from the F 50mm @ 1.7

First of all, this is clearly NOT my best work, but I hope it illustrates what I'm talking about .
The bokeh, to me, is very busy and the specular highlights are rather hard edged (comdom like). I'd upload more, but I sold the lens after keeping it for about a week.
The M, A, F, & FA all have the same optical design. The only one I've never owned is the F. The DA/1.8 has an updated optical design. At least the diagram in the database differs from that of the 1.7s.
07-17-2017, 01:29 PM   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Pretty much agree with that. Although any of the 50mm f2.8 lenses are damn good. The A version is wonderfully compact with terrific build quality. The K/A 50 f1.2 is quite possibly the best of them all, however.
07-17-2017, 11:16 PM   #75
Pentaxian

I would love my FA 50mm f/1.7 if it weren't for the hit-or-miss AF. It can sometimes produce very sharp images, even wide open, so I know the glass is up to the challenge. Unfortunately, it will only manage to do that a small percentage of the time. It's not a problem that I have with the other lenses I use on my K3, so it must be something to do with the lens. I prefer the manual focus 50s as they don't have that problem - if I get an OOF image I know it's my own fault.