Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2017, 11:08 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
The idea that the FA 35 - one of the more respected lenses of that era - would not have back coating is just a bit breathtaking.
Most film lenses are not back coated. They don't need to be. Film emulsion is far less reflective than the glass placed in front of a digital sensor.

In the early days of digital, there were people who quite seriously contended that film lenses were inadequate for digital cameras because of the potential for sensor flare. I've used plenty of film lenses over the years and have never experienced an issue.

07-19-2017, 11:33 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
have never experienced an issue.
I have. The 55mm 1.4 Tomioka design. has some pretty pronounced sensor flare stopped down. It is because of it's near flat back element. Convex or concave elements will just disperse the light so you don't notice
07-19-2017, 04:25 PM   #48
Veteran Member

In my photo store selling days (extending to before AF), I recall a few lenses without rear coatings. Some Minolta kit lenses, if I recall correctly. Even low line Tokina wide angle and basic zoom lenses had at least one rear coating. Looks like the Pentax FA 28-70 has only one rear coating. Even my Zenitar has multi-coatings (and a good coating on that required rear filter element). Other than that, all my film era lenses have multi-coatings behind the diaphragm and certainly appear to have them on the rear element. It might just be a matter of the lenses I've run across (there are quite a lot of them). Beyond the sensor reflection issue, it is good practice for the sake of light transmission and better contrast even on otherwise middling consumer lenses.

---------- Post added 07-19-2017 at 06:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
So here's the resolution for the DA 35 2.4. Center is excellent and borders are very good from wide open.

Distortion is not field relevant, CA is tested to be very well controlled. Vignetting isn't an issue either:

And despite having gotten thousands of pictures from it and always being pleased with it, the only reason I could possibly like it is because it's cheap. It's true, I just learned that on this thread... or maybe it's because I have no idea what a good lens should actually look like. That is always a very strong possibility
I didn't mean to infer that it wasn't a good lens. In fact, I pointed out that it is better in the distortion department, likely better coatings and contrast. In short, it pretty clearly has a more modern look oriented toward digital preferences. Those aren't really my preferences, but that just would be me. Even the plastic mount is not an issue, as long as the build quality is good and solid (the DA 50 is fine with me). Certainly the DA 35 has had fewer build issues than, say, the SMC 21 which is all metal yet prone to loosening problems. I just keep my fingers crossed.
07-19-2017, 11:03 PM   #49

I vote for the DA35 ltd macro. I have it since 4 years and its on my K3 for 70% of the time, when I travel it is THE walkaround lens.
Built like a tank, all metal super solid. Takes every beating, I put a metal fix lenshood on it, as the original tends to slip back in when you walk around cramped markets and busy streets.

Image quality is excellent. And the lack of speed is not very obvious in that focal length.
I love the rendering and the lack of distortion is a big plus aswell.
Macro is a nice feature, flowers, food, animals perfect for that.

The limited series is perfect for my needs in traveling. People keep asking me why I put MFT Lenses on my DSLR :-)
But my travel set consists of:
- K3
- DA15mm f4 ltd
- DA35mm f4 ltd
- DA50mm f1.8
- spare battery

Every thing fits in the pockets of my cargo pants, plus a camera strap. Other otions to consider is the DA21. Just in case anything else than 35 crosses your mind.

IMHO the K1 and the DA ltd series have contradicting ideologies. The lenses are built to be as small as possible. The K1 is just built for FF but bulky. So if quality is the main objective, the bigger FA31 or FA35 or Sigma 35 1.8 are for sure the better fitting options.

cheers
stefan