Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2007, 04:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How do you clean up an old lens

I have this old MF lens. I know it needs to be cleaned up a bit because the focus ring is very gummy. The optics are totally fine (just my eyes need fixin - lol).

Any tips on how to disassemble/reassemble, or should I bring it to the shop and let them have a go at it (how much)? The lens is not mine, I'm returning it to my friend this weekend after he loaned it to me for a month and I want to express my gratitude by doing this favour. (To that friend - thanks so much!!)

Thanks for any tips.

02-19-2007, 05:14 PM   #2
DAP

Well, if it is not your lens I wouldn't take it apart to relube the helical. Speaking from experience - I would experiment on some "sacrificial" lenses first. It is not brain surgery, but you can definately do some damage if you are not careful. A good repair shop will probably charge you $75-$150 to perform a CLA on a lens (clean, lube, adjust).
02-19-2007, 05:36 PM   #3
roy
Inactive Account

dap,
you hit the nail on the head.

alvin, what lens?? i've got a few repair manuals..
02-19-2007, 08:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
dap,
you hit the nail on the head.

alvin, what lens?? i've got a few repair manuals..
Thanks guys!

Its a Gemini 135mm/2.8 Macro. It's a K mount lens and was used with the K-1000 film body. The lens looks like it could be a Ricoh, or Sears knock-off. Probably worth about $20-30 CDN but I can't find another copy anywhere on EBay.

I think there is a good repair shop somewhere here in Mississauga, so I'm going to look them up.