Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2017, 09:21 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Rokinon, Samyang 85mm f/1.4 on Adorama and B&H

Hi all. I have been checking out this 85mm lens at both Adorama and B&H. I am interested because of the price range. Manual focus does not bother me. I am currnetly shooting with the K200D. I noticed in the photos on the websites that there is not a button on the ring for A setting. I have seen on some reviews of this lens that there is mention on the A setting button and I have seen photos of it as well. Does anyone know if there actually is an A button? I have a few lens that have this button and have found it useful. I shoot mostly manual. Thanks, Joe

07-18-2017, 11:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jjbacoomba Quote
. . .
Does anyone know if there actually is an A button?
. . .
Short answer:
Yes.

Longer answer:
Over the past several years, I've bought three different Samyang made lenses in K mount and they all have the "A" setting. I don't have the latest generation of 85mm in K mount, but here's an excerpt from B&H's overview of the 85mm for Pentax:
"This lens features a mechanical aperture coupling that permits the use of aperture priority and automated exposure modes, as well as the ability to control the aperture setting with Pentax DSLRs"

So it sounds like you're good to go. Those big retailers are just too lazy to actually show the Pentax version of the lens in their listings. It's easier to just paste in a stock photo of a Nikon or Canon.
07-19-2017, 02:34 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jjbacoomba Quote
Hi all. I have been checking out this 85mm lens at both Adorama and B&H. I am interested because of the price range. Manual focus does not bother me. I am currnetly shooting with the K200D. I noticed in the photos on the websites that there is not a button on the ring for A setting. I have seen on some reviews of this lens that there is mention on the A setting button and I have seen photos of it as well. Does anyone know if there actually is an A button? I have a few lens that have this button and have found it useful. I shoot mostly manual. Thanks, Joe
Yes, those have the A setting. In fact, I believe every current offering from Samyang does, as do most other third-party lenses. Lensbaby and Venus/Laowa are exceptions to this.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-19-2017, 04:04 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This has been a debate (I.e. The A button) since the samyang series of lenses first appeared about 10 years ago.

Product photos seem to generally show the Nikon mount leaving people wondering for Pentax whether it is K or KA mount.

I have the vivitar branded version of this lens, it is a great lens

07-19-2017, 12:30 PM   #5
Forum Member

I have 85 mm, 14 mm and 8 mm. They all have the "A" position on the aperture ring.
07-19-2017, 05:23 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The lens does have the A setting, and it is useful, particularly with flash.

The lens is also remarkably good, though challenging to focus due to its shallow DoF.

I've been very happy with mine.

-Eric