Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2017, 06:54 AM   #1

teleconverter help - which brand works with the SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm WR

so as the title suggests - teleconverter help - which brand works with the SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm WR

I am traveling on a motorcycle and don't have space for a large selection of lenses (sadly) so looking at this option. Prices are all over the place and it seems like some (non pentax) brands fail to work 100% of the time.

Any experience/ suggestions?

07-19-2017, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The 18-135 is not the fastest lens in the world but I have used it with the tamron and the kenko (1.4x and 1.5x) successfully (providing light is good)
07-19-2017, 07:07 AM   #3
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't tried using a TC on my 18-135, but trying it on the 55-300 I see that I get at least as good results by skipping the TC and crop the image later.

I do get superb results using the TC on my DFA100 Macro, though. My conclusion has been that you need really good (and fast) glass to gain much from a TC. Just my opinion, of course.
07-19-2017, 07:09 AM - 1 Like   #4
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you don't need WR, and you are traveling light I'd almost look at the Sigma 18-300 since it is cheaper than the DA 1.4 AW teleconverter. The reviews seem to state that lens is pretty good, performing way better than a superzoom like that should even think of performing.

07-19-2017, 07:09 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Do you really need more reach? Teleconvertors are really meant for high quality * glass or lenses like the 150-450. Maybe it is better to get a DA 18-270 instead.
07-19-2017, 07:11 AM   #6
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Ohh, and it will work in good light with the DA 1.4 or the ProMaster 1.7, though forget ti on the long end with the latter, and also only the DA 1.4 will transmit correct info because the ProMaster only gives pass though and will hunt like mad at 135. I tested them out of boredom.
07-19-2017, 07:33 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I second the suggestion to use a dedicate telephoto lens. Something like the DA L 55-300mm should be not far from the price of a decent third party TC.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-19-2017, 10:53 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rtwpaul Quote
so as the title suggests - teleconverter help - which brand works with the SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm WR

I am traveling on a motorcycle and don't have space for a large selection of lenses (sadly) so looking at this option. Prices are all over the place and it seems like some (non pentax) brands fail to work 100% of the time.

I own the lens and I can try it with my HD DA 1.4x but I honestly don't think it will work well. The DA 55-300 (WR or normal or DA-L) will work well as a second lens but that is larger than the TC. The 18-300/ 18-270, 18-250, 18-200 lenses will also work reasonably well. I can't compare these but I can vouch for the 18-135/55-300 combo. This is my goto lightweight wide to long kit. If that's too big - check the 18-270 or 18-300 offerings and see if they make sense for you.
07-19-2017, 12:27 PM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
If you don't need WR, and you are traveling light I'd almost look at the Sigma 18-300 since it is cheaper than the DA 1.4 AW teleconverter. The reviews seem to state that lens is pretty good, performing way better than a superzoom like that should even think of performing.
I agree with this. The main weakness with the Sigma 18-300 is fairly weak border performance (especially at wider angles) if you don't stop down sufficiently, which is a fairly common trait with super-zoom designs. But, centre sharpness (for a consumer-grade lens) is excellent at all focal lengths, even wide open; and at 300mm it will give the HD DA55-300 a run for its money. Focusing is near-silent too, which can be a distinct advantage over the 55-300 depending on the situation. It's a lens of compromises. but those compromises are nothing compared to the reduction in light and IQ you'd get using a TC with the 18-135, IMHO.
07-19-2017, 07:13 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I personally would stay away from using a TC on a zoom. The further you reach out the more light you need to see what you want to photograph. This not only applies to your autofocus system but also to your own eyes. Unless you want to pack around a very large zoom lens with the glass (and weight) needed to maintain at least a 2.8 aperture throughout the entire zoom range, then a TC is a waste of time.

The alternative options already discussed are far more likely to be satisfactory.
07-19-2017, 07:22 PM   #11

Original Poster
wow thank you for all the responses, now i really have a few options to look at, i do get the point of using a 18-300 or 18-270, i had done this with canon in the past, just thought the TC might be an easy option as the 18-135 is a reasonably small lens, but if the quality with the TC is not great then really whats the point. I'm new to Pentax so basically testing the waters for now

To give you guys an idea of some of the things i shoot a very small selction of my shots are on Instagram under rtwpaul @rtwpaul ? Instagram photos and videos might help with suggestions.

I would really like to just carry a bag full of primes but its not realistic therefore i'm looking for options. The reason for the WR lens it helps as i often am riding in the middle of nowhere on dirty/ dusty roads
07-19-2017, 11:52 PM - 1 Like   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rtwpaul Quote

The Tamron F 1.4X teleconverter, not being made, had the original Pentax FA lens series power zoom contacts, and the screw slot AF mechanical linkage, in addition to the A and F(A) lens information transfer contacts: with its up focal length, loss of one f stop at the rated widest aperture of original lens, features. I picked one up for $100 from a midwestern camera store chain on line a couple of years ago (since the full frame DSLR came out its price seems to be between $150 and $500, when and if located for sale). It covers APS-C and full frame formats; it works with both in lens powered motor focusing zooms (which took over its FA power zoom contacts use after the original FA zoom lenses were discontinued by Pentax), and the screw type slot linkage autofocus lenses, or zooms, or, converts the focal length factor for MF lenses which need no electrical contact information or motor power, or old power zoom linkage. I have the Pentax 1.4 A-S, 2X A-S (which carry lens information, but offer neither kind of AF linkage), two Sigma 1.4X converters (which offer only the screw type AF linkages, without the in lens motor powering contacts AF linkage), and the Tamron F mentioned.

If you look on the Forum, under third party lenses, somewhere at the bottom it reviews all teleconverters of legacy use with the K mount. There are two Tamrons, one the F series, which can work with all PKAF lenses made. No other teleconverter works for all of these, with the exception of the DA APS-C format $500 1.4X converter. All other 1.4 or 1.5 converters do not have the in lens motor to camera body contacts. When going 2X (I have the Pentax A-S 2X, and the Tokina A-S 7 element 2x, and an old K mount Vivitar matched multiplier of ill report on the forum [which works great with a straight 200mm to make a sharp handholdable compact 400mm f6.3], all are MF) you may discover that there is one Promura/and other labels 2X AF (all of the same manufacturer) with the mentioned motor contacts -- but it was actually made for the early FA power zoom connection, and simply does not settle to autofocus with in lens motor zoom lenses, or slot-screw AF lenses. It will search and search and never arrive at autofocus. So, excepting the Tamron, and the Pentax DA 1.4X you are looking for a converter which most likely will be manual focus in application, unless just needing the screw-slot type of autofocus linkage. At the very least find one with the A/F(A, DA, DFA) series lens information contacts, not just a straight, now at least 35 year old or so K mount. Then the in camera aperture control will function.

In addition to looking on Ebay, Amazon, KLH, etc, look at used Pentax on Adorama and B & H, and then search for Pentax used lens outlets, some of which are specialty stores on Ebay, and may not show up on a general Ebay search. There are several advertising vintage PK and its offspring lenses and accessories. I am sure a Tamron F 1.4X is out there, finding a good price is uncertain.

The ones mentioned will give good focal length upgrade results, with the 2X costing two f stops off the original lens widest aperture, which can be difficult to preview through, the 1.4X costing one stop, and very very few of available used converters otherwise out there not creating more problems to focal length conversion than they supposedly solve. Go with a 1.4X which works to your best advantage with the gear you have, or think you will have. The 2xs are a mixed lot, mine work OK, but handling a 2X without a reasonable tripod or window mount and bright light is very shaky with long teles (in converting optics of 250mm and above, including camera crop factor). The 1.4Xs used, I know by use work very well, have few abberations, and are easily hand holdable, or mountable to readily grant their focal length upgrades. Recall too that shutter speed needs to go up with increased focal length, or blur due to camera shake will occur. As with a sensor crop factor, depth of field will lessen as focal length increases. Aperture selecton will be affected, as stated. F2, will become f2.8, 4 will become 5.6, if selected on the on lens aperture ring, otherwise put it on the A setting and let the camera figure. An advantage is that they can get you closer to a subject than an alike actual focal length achieved original lens.

I recently reviewed the Sigma 150-500mm full featured 21st century zoom, find it under third party lenses on the Forum: Sigma recently discontinued legacy lenses, out of production lenses, where I comment on using the 1.4X with that fine and fieldable optic. No third party manufacturer is currently making Pentax AF teleconverters, so, you are diving in a still water pond attempting seeing to the bottom through a mirky history of present availabilty to find what you need among those selling used or almost new gear settled into that now aging source.

Last edited by climbmountainway; 07-20-2017 at 12:38 AM. Reason: to provide greater accurracy of mentioned detail
07-20-2017, 07:31 AM   #13
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

If you're just wanting to keep it light then the only teleconverter I'd recommend is the DA 1.4. Also, since you're using the K70 and you travel around on a motorcycle I'd likely add in the DA 55-300 WR to keep a light WR kit just in case you hit inclement weather.
07-27-2017, 01:04 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The HD DA 1.4 is excellent. I have one and could shoot some test shots with my 18-135 if you wanted. But the point isn't that it isn't good as a TC... the point is that the TC adds 1.5 stops to an already slow lens and one that likes to be stopped down to get best results. The downside in optical quality may be small if you have a LOT of light. But overall the compromise involved in a TC with a slow lens is hard to justify over either a longer range zoom or a pair of zooms. My recommendation is based on your criteria not my own. I own several large zooms and primes and do not travel on a motorcycle so the packing optimization you face is rarely my problem. My light kit of choice for walking about with unknown weather and unknown subjects is the DA 18-135 and DA 55-300 (non-WR) and a Raynox DCR-150 or DCR-250 to give me all the flexibility I can have. Alternately I carry the DA 20-40 with the DA* 50-135 and Raynox. Sometimes I just grab a DA 20-40 and my DA* 60-250. Conditions matter to me and intended use matters. In the end however the gear doesn't make photos - you do.
07-27-2017, 01:15 PM   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know your budget but I note you live in the US

one option you might want to look at:

renting equipment, either for your trip, or for personal experimentation.

I have used LensRental.com out of Tennessee and had good luck.

I rented the D FA 150 - 450 mm zoom and the HD DA 1.4 rear converter from them for personal testing.

LensRentals.com - Rent Lenses and Cameras from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Leica, and more

they even may offer to sell you the equipment you rent with the rental fees as credit against the purchase price.

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-27-2017 at 01:21 PM.