Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2008, 04:23 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Lens question.

Someone local to me has a couple of lenses for sale. They have not put a price, the just said "Make an offer". These are the lenses. Didn't see these exact ones listed in the database, so I hope someone can give me some insite to if these lenses are good or not worth my time. If they are half decent, what would be a fair offer? Would these be any better than the lenses I have? (see signature below). I know my Pentax one is not a great one.

Tokina AF 28-70, 1:2.8-4.5
Japanese, Peachtree SKYLIGHT (1A) 67mm, f=28-105mm, 1:3.5-4.9
Vivitar MC Tele Converter 2X PK-A/R-PK

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by eccs19; 08-18-2008 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Spelling
08-18-2008, 04:54 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
The Tokina lens should be half-decent. I've never used it, but considering that it's a 2.8-4.5 lens, I'd offer him $40. The second one ... I don't know. It seems as though it has a clear filter on the front ("Skylight 1A"), but I don't know the brand. The third "lens" is a 2x teleconverter. I'd pass on that one since you already have a Tamron TC.
08-18-2008, 04:57 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeH Quote
The Tokina lens should be half-decent. I've never used it, but considering that it's a 2.8-4.5 lens, I'd offer him $40. The second one ... I don't know. It seems as though it has a clear filter on the front ("Skylight 1A"), but I don't know the brand. The third "lens" is a 2x teleconverter. I'd pass on that one since you already have a Tamron TC.
I think they want to sell the bunch as a lot. Not separate. I could always turn around and sell one of the 2x converters. I think the Vivitar supports the auto focus, where as mine doesn't.
08-19-2008, 04:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I saw that ad a short while ago. Ask them to take a shot of the second lense without the filter but, I would be warry of the "needs cleaning".

Why not go have a look?

08-20-2008, 02:49 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well I went and looked at those lenses. The Tokina must have been all gunked up, as I could hardly move the zoom in and out, and the focus ring was not much better. It had the Auto feature for the aperature, but my camera didn't respond to it. Perhaps it just didn't work. Not sure if it was suposed to have auto focus or not, but it didn't work. The other lense was as old as the hills, and I didn't see any name on it, so I also left it. It was a good try.

On a side note, I did stop and look at a 50mm F2 lens at another place, and it was mechanically good. The only problem is that it is a full manual lens, and my camera just flashed either AV or TV. (I can't remember exactly), and in the view finder, the F= just kept flashing. Will my camera support full manual lenses, and if so, how do I get them to work? I had a quick look in my manual, but didn't see anything.
08-20-2008, 04:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
if the ist D is the same as the newer models, you need to go to the custom menu, and scroll until you find "Allow aperture ring" and set that to "allowed" or "enabled" ( can't remember the exact terms ) Then shoot in manual mode, set the aperture you want to use on the lens, and hit the "green button" on the camera. It should stop the lens down, and set the shutter speed for you. And then enjoy using old glass on a modern camera
08-20-2008, 05:44 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
There is a setting in my custom menu that says "F Stop other than A", and it's set to off right now. My guess is that is what I need to use the older lens. Don't see any "Allow aperature ring" in mine, so I guess what I've got is the equivilant. Safe guess?

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
if the ist D is the same as the newer models, you need to go to the custom menu, and scroll until you find "Allow aperture ring" and set that to "allowed" or "enabled" ( can't remember the exact terms ) Then shoot in manual mode, set the aperture you want to use on the lens, and hit the "green button" on the camera. It should stop the lens down, and set the shutter speed for you. And then enjoy using old glass on a modern camera
08-20-2008, 06:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sure looks like it, and you can leave it set to "on" all the time, it won't affect auto lenses at all.