Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
07-24-2017, 05:20 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
How "manual" do you like to go? One of my favorite 28 lenses is an old Yashica m42. I picked up the camera, 28, 50 and 135 for $25. It's great for portraits and very acceptable for landscapes, but doesn't play nice with bright sunlight.
Now if I can figure out where I placed my adapter....
Now that is some bargain! I wish I could come across such a chance but...

I started MF with Helios 44 on a Nikon (well, excluding the times that I was using AF lenses on MF just for fun), so I am all fine with going all manual. Anyway K-50, strangely, works on Av mode with Helios although it is connected through an adapter, and works like a charm excluding rare cases in metering. So I am not on fully fully manual - but I am fine with fully manual too.

07-24-2017, 07:23 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's actually normal with a preset aperture m42 lens on an adapter. Where the party gets more complicated are pre-A k-mount lenses where the lens isn't stopped down until you hit the shutter, the depth of field preview (which I don't think the K-50 has) or the green button. And I've not found green button metering to be all that accurate with my M50.
07-24-2017, 09:17 PM   #18
Pentaxian

My choice I have Sigma10-20 and 17-70
Sigma 10-20 superior image
Look section lenses club
I don't thing so Helios will be wide lenses with factor 1.5 will be close 70 mm
07-25-2017, 03:15 AM   #19
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I cannot recommend a K24/2.8 enough - mine is a stunner....

but if you are looking for cheaper, why not an M or an A manual zoom? an A28-80mm or an M24-50mm may be just the ticket for you....

07-25-2017, 04:46 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Finding a cheap wide angle (or around 24-28mm) lens that is sharp with distant subjects has eluded me, while I have (and had) a selection of 28mm lenses, none have impressed me much with distant subjects. You might scour the Astro and landscape photography posts to pick up tips on lenses though.
My favourite 28mm lens is probably the -M 28mm F3.5.....but I understand the K 28mm F3.5 is better!
I have both the Vivitar 28mm F2.8 close focus and wide angle (Komine), one an "A" lens and preferred for the auto metering, the other needs green button metering and a Sigma miniwide 28mm F2.8 as well as a Pentax-M 2.8.
Looking at the ones I have sold they include a Pentax-A 28mm F2.8 and a Petri 28mm F2 that I found were not any better than I already had and sold to get my money back as they are sought after to a degree. (As cheap lenses anyway).
You might find that you need to purchase a few cheap lenses to find one that works for you, a messy business as you may be buying a pig in a poke....or you might get a gem!
Keep an eye out for K series cameras with lens bundles, for some reason the K type camera has some worth judging by ebay sale prices and the "K" lenses get good reviews.
Good luck with this, let us know if you find the definitive "sharp" throughout the range lens.
07-25-2017, 08:53 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by mrohank Quote
Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!

After some extensive research, I bought a Sigma 24mm f/2.8 super wide II to use on my K-50 but I am badly dissatisfied with it. Below you can find my review of this lens, and what has been problematic:

Sigma 24mm F2.8 Super Wide II Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

I am looking for a lens which is the "wide angle version" of Helios 44, for which my review can be found below too, to see why I adore this lens and am looking for a wide angle Helios:

Helios - 44M 58mm f2 Lens Reviews - Russian and Zenitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

(A note: 44M is the worst model in Helios 44 family, but still I am amazed with it - not only in terms of PP, but overall. I believe that it is a very genuine competitor of modern "great" lenses, including, at least for me, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 or Nikon 24mm f/1.4, as well as old Takumar 50mm 1.7 and such)

The main uses of the lens will be street photography and portraits, as well as some cityscapes and, although rarely, landscapes. I have been going through the reviews of 24, 28, and 35mm lenses, but nothing seems to be good enough. The budget may go up to 100 pounds, but the cheaper the better. I was keen on a Vivitar 28mm f/2.8, yet it does not seem to be sharp too. As the rest (contrast, CA, etc.) are rather fixable in PP, I care the most about the sharpness - especially at infinity. I know that sharpness will fail significantly at infinity, yet Sigma failed me even at 2 meters and I will get rid of it as soon as I will find a replacement.

Any recommendations are highly appreciated!
I recently purchased the vivitar 28mm 2.8 macro and absolutely love it.
When using the reverser ring it takes some very sharp super close up shots.
07-25-2017, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #22

Here's the image from the vivitar 28mm macro 2.8

Attached Images

01-17-2018, 05:16 AM   #23

Hello,
I don't want to create another topic about the same question.
I am looking for wide angle lenses. My budget is between U$50-100.
I'll use it to take pictures of building and some landscapes.
Thanks for your replies and time.
01-17-2018, 05:28 AM   #24
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

well, if you are using a crop filter camera, you don't get a " wide angle " field of view with it

but I like my Kiron 28mm 2.0 PK/A which is a film era lens

I found for a very good price here at the market place ( " buy/sell " ) and bought it " well under market prices "

I understand that the PK version is much more common and it is one of several companies that made " Vivitar " branded lens

" Fast 28mm wide angle, also sold under the Vivitar marque, can be found in M42, PK and, more rarely, PKA, mounts.

FOV: 66 Degrees (Horizontal) on full frame. "

Kiron 28mm F2 MC Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-17-2018 at 06:27 AM.
01-17-2018, 05:48 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jfca283 Quote
Hello,
A second hand DA16-45 ? - Search: smcpda1645mmf40edal | Flickr

DA16-45 at 16mm :

01-17-2018, 06:02 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jfca283 Quote
Hello,
If your body is APS-C, and you need something wider than the kit 18-55, you will need something around 15mm to make a reasonably significant increase in coverage - not sure what you can find around that focal length within your price range.

OTOH, you might find a w/a converter (such as a Filterking IIRC) that screws into the filter ring on the existing lens, but those are large, heavy, result in a lot of barrel distortion and sometimes vignetting.
01-17-2018, 08:13 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Save more money. Not joking. I can't think of anything like that. Learn how to make the most of the lenses you have and start stitching panoramas together in post.
01-17-2018, 09:28 AM   #28

Ok. I'll save more money as you said.
The cheapest DA 16-45 I've found on ebay costs U$190...
Can I expect a lower price from another website?
01-17-2018, 09:50 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You might find a better deal here on the PF Marketplace. Maybe set up some watch words for different lenses and see what they're selling for over time.

If you are okay with manual focus, the Samyang/Rokinon 14mm sells for about $300 USD new through normal channels. ebay listings are as low as about $225. The fear is that you may get a lens that is decentered and you would want to return it. So I'm not sure if I would go that route. 16mm on a crop camera just isn't that wide. I have a DA 15 which I love using but some days I wish it was a bit wider yet. Putting it another way, if I were to spend money on a lens for a specific purpose or field of view, I would want it to really get there, and the 16-45 just isn't that wide. So it's hard to justify.

Cruise around the user reviews and see what interests you the most. Might help making a lens selection.
01-17-2018, 10:32 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Maybe look for an early Sigma (non HSM) 10-20mm f4.0-f5.6 - still my go-to lens for anything "wide" after nearly 10yrs.