Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2017, 11:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
DA Rear Converter w/FA* 300

I'm looking into options to add some reach to my existing setup. One of the options is:

HD Pentax-DA 1.4x AW AF Rear Converter

Does anybody know if this teleconverter works with the Pentax FA* 300 f/4.5 lens? I'm not bothered if autofocus is terrible.

If anyone has any idea about the quality of the image with this teleconverter then I'd be happy to hear it.

07-27-2017, 12:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had F*300, and itīs optical the same. It works with F1,7 converter.
Look at post 5 at SMC Pentax-F* 300mm F4.5 ED [IF] Reviews - F Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
"This lens works VERY well with the HD 1.4x teleconverter."
07-27-2017, 04:38 AM   #3
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, it works without problems. Be aware, though, that this rear converter will vignette on a K-1 or film body.
07-27-2017, 05:17 AM   #4

I did used the TC1.4 both on the DA 300F4 and FA *300 F2.8 mounted on a K3
i wasn't happy with the results with the 300F4 but I found it really nice with the FA300 F2.8. that may be due to the loss of one stop that can be critical starting ā F4, worse at F4.5 ?

07-27-2017, 07:52 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the 300mm f4.5 F lens (not FA) as well as the new TC. I can check out any settings you might want to check. I also have the K1 as well as K3 to try on different bodies.
07-27-2017, 10:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies! I will just be using it with a crop body. @stemked - thanks for the offer. If you have any shots (crop body, tc + lens) to share I'd be glad to see them! I'm trying to decide whether it's worth it to get this TC or just get a longer lens.... I typically manual focus in good light so if autofocus is not the greatest I'm ok with that.
07-28-2017, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #7
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Pentax DA 1.4x TC is probably the gold standard, but it ought to be for the price - upwards of $A700 new (or $A500 used, if you can find one). Part of the price comes from it being weather resistant and being designed to work with SDM/DC/PLM lenses - neither of which is relevant when using the FA*300.

I use a Kenko 1.5x pz TC (about $A200 second hand, in mint condition) with my FA*300 f4.5 and I am very happy with the results. (This one is the same as the Tamron 1.4x pz.) The AF works reasonably well and there is minimal degradation of image quality. The only real downside (apart from the obvious limitation from any 1.4x TC that the loss of one stop of light means a maximum aperture of f6.3) is that the effective focal length isn't passed to the camera for shake reduction purposes or for recording in the EXIF.

The Kenko works a treat with the DFA 100 WR as well.

I believe the Kenko/Tamron should work on a FF camera without vignetting, but I have no experience of this.

TBH, I think the DA TC isn't great value for use with the FA*300. Of course if you plan to use it with other lenses, particularly SDM/DC/PLM lenses, or for weather resistance with AW or WR lenses, the equation is different. (The Kenko/Tamron pz models have contacts to activate AF in an SDM lens, but those who have tried them seem to report that AF performance is somewhere between unreliable and useless.)

Here are some sample images taken with the FA*300 + Kenko TC.

Last edited by Des; 07-29-2017 at 02:02 PM.
07-28-2017, 07:16 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I use a Kenko 1.5x pz TC (about $A200 second hand, in mint condition) with my FA*300 f4.5 and I am very happy with the results. (This one is the same as the Tamron 1.4x pz.) The AF works reasonably well and there is minimal degradation of image quality.
I agree with this--those are capable TCs
07-30-2017, 01:41 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@Des: thanks so much for those samples. They look pretty good, and very similar subjects to what I'd be shooting too! I'm going to agree with you that getting the HD is probably not worth it since I'd only use it for the FA* 300. I think I might try and find that Kenko TC on ebay after your encouraging shots!

Edit: after searching eBay I guess these aren't that common. Well, I'll keep my eye out.
07-30-2017, 05:58 AM   #10
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A word of warning @automorphism. For such simple optics teleconverters are very confusing. Just look at the list of TCs here to see what I mean: Here is an updated list of TCs working with SDM lenses: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Some models that have the same name are completely different, and some that have completely different names are exactly the same. For example, there are two versions of the Kenko Pz-AF 1.5X Teleplus SHQ:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/275594-how...eplus-shq.html.
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3537477
The one I have is the one that magnifies about 1.4x and is identical to a Tamron 1.4x pz. The other is identical to a Promaster 1.7x (and magnifies a little more than 1.5x). Either version seems to be very good.

If you find a TC that interests you, research it first.

There are very few comparative tests of TCs, but have a look at this one done by @Wildmark - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/309566-tel...on-x1-4-a.html The Tamron that he tested might be the same as my Kenko; certainly the Kenko that Mark tested isn't. Note that his Sigma did well, so that might be another option to look for.

See also this one by @Driline: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/313556-f-3...pressions.html He isn't comparing TCs but comparing using a TC with cropping.

I got my Kenko on Gumtree. I think that was rather a fluke, but K-mount TCs do turn up there or on ebay or in the PF marketplace from time to time. Just keep looking.

And hey isn't that FA*300 f4.5 something? As WildMark and Driline show in the threads above (Driline's F*300 is optically identical to the FA*300), images are so sharp they will stand a lot of cropping, especially with a 24mp sensor.

Last edited by Des; 07-30-2017 at 03:17 PM.