Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2017, 08:19 AM   #1

Another "What to Take on Vaction" post

Hello,

I am heading to Ottawa for 4 days starting Sunday and since I am driving up, it is no big deal to carry extra gear, but once I start walking around I want to carry no more then an extra lens. I will have my 18-135 mounted on my K-500 most of the time, but I want to have a prime with me as well. My soon will have the trusty K-1000 with a 50mm mounted on it. First question is about the 50, currently he has out M 1.4 on it, but I also have an A 1.7 and the F1.7. The later two make it much easier to borrow and use on the DSLR. He also is using an M 28mm f3.5. I also have ant home the DA 35mm 2.4 and a Sigma Super Wide II 24mm f2.8. I also have a Pentax A 135 2.8. I was thinking I could have the 24mm and he could have the

SO I guess the question is Which 50mm to share and which two other lenses to carry while walking around the city?

Thanks,

Jim Fellows

07-28-2017, 08:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimfellows Quote
Hello,

I am heading to Ottawa for 4 days starting Sunday and since I am driving up, it is no big deal to carry extra gear, but once I start walking around I want to carry no more then an extra lens. I will have my 18-135 mounted on my K-500 most of the time, but I want to have a prime with me as well. My soon will have the trusty K-1000 with a 50mm mounted on it. First question is about the 50, currently he has out M 1.4 on it, but I also have an A 1.7 and the F1.7. The later two make it much easier to borrow and use on the DSLR. He also is using an M 28mm f3.5. I also have ant home the DA 35mm 2.4 and a Sigma Super Wide II 24mm f2.8. I also have a Pentax A 135 2.8. I was thinking I could have the 24mm and he could have the

SO I guess the question is Which 50mm to share and which two other lenses to carry while walking around the city?

Thanks,

Jim Fellows
Hello Jim,
I'd definitely bring a wide angle lens. Ottawa region has a lot of nature as well, if you are into nature and landscape type of work. Are you staying in town only, or planning to get out and explore the region as well? Regarding the 50mm, I use M 50 1.7 all the time on my K - 5, and it's not really difficult. So you have 3 lenses to choose from
07-28-2017, 09:27 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would definitely take the 24 and the 135. A 28 is not really wide angle on a crop frame DSLR.

Which 50 to take is a bit of a conundrum. The M 1.4 would be my first choice. I have one but it is a little tricky to manual focus on a DSLR. And you have to do the green button thing the whole time.

The F would be ideal on a DSLR. I don't have one but in my experience autofocus lenses are not so nice to manually focus. The lack of resistance and short(ish) travel work against you. Using it on the K1000 would be an exercise in character building.

That leaves the A 1.7. Very sharp and auto exposure for the DSLR. No autofocus but that is not a big hardship.
07-28-2017, 09:45 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Using it on the K1000 would be an exercise in character building.
I have used an FA50/1.4 on an MX, but was very glad for the split prism and microprism collar and I don't know what the F is like in comparison.

OP, the A 1.7 probably is the best compromise but it depends on what shape the aperture ring is in. Those things do have a reputation for suffering with age on this particular lens. On the DSLR it's not an issue; park it in A and leave it there. But shared with the K1000 it's going to be getting a workout. Is the copy you have available up to that?

My first impulse is to say: keep the M28/3.5 on the K1000 and the 18-135 on the DSLR. I recently did two days in Toronto with an S1a and an M42 28/35/55mm kit, and although Toronto isn't Ottawa I'd pick the 28/3.5 as first choice any day if I were going there. However, there were times I felt the want for a 24mm Takumar lens, and if one had been available in the camera stores I visited, I would probably have bought it. So if your Sigma 24mm is a film-era manual-focus full-frame lens, I'd bring that along for the film camera instead of the 28/3.5.

The 18mm end of the 18-135 has the same field of view as a 27-28mm lens on full frame, and is the widest option you describe for the DSLR. You'll want that at times. Leave it on during daylight hours. Save the 50mm primes for sunset and after dark.

If you're shooting as a team, leave the A135/2.8 home unless he really, really wants to take himself off somewhere else and feels the need for a tele lens on the film body.

Last edited by pathdoc; 07-28-2017 at 09:59 AM.
07-28-2017, 10:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Your DA 18-135mm can keep to f/3.5-4.5 from 18-70mm. At 24mm it is at f/4 with good quality. The Sigma 24mm f/2.8 would provide some wide angle and 1 stop more aperture. The DA 35mm is nearly the same aperture-wise, but no wide angle and made for DSLR APS-C use only. Among the 50mm lenses you can choose from, I would recommend the F 50 for very low light because it has shown to be very good even wide open at f/1.7, and it is an AF lens since shooting in low light poses challenges for MF. It is a moderate tele lens on your DSLR, but may be useful for some indoor displays, and isolating subjects from the background. The A 135mm f/2.8 would provide a 2-stop advantage over your zoom lens, and no doubt better edge performance. However, the next question is how often you'd need that focal length for touring Ottawa?

Last edited by mikesbike; 07-28-2017 at 10:44 AM.
07-28-2017, 10:18 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm back from Munich, I ended up using only my A24. Did not change lenses due to bad weather, the other one along was the FA43.
I did not take too many shots either...

Go wide.

Seb
07-28-2017, 10:38 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
However, the next question is how often you'd need that focal length for touring Ottawa?
That was why I suggested leaving it unless OP's son really wanted a tele option to go off separately with. Outdoors in daylight, f/5.6 on a DSLR is usually more than good enough and OP doesn't want to be weighed down in the field.

07-28-2017, 12:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Ottawa is pretty spacious. I would go with something around 20-35mm and a short telephoto (50-100mm).
DA 35mm is a lens I enjoy in cities and it would work there, but you might want something wider from time to time.
When I travel with primes, I have three. One normal, one very wide, and one short telephoto. That covers pretty much anything. Usually I use the normal one the most
07-29-2017, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice. I think I will try the A 50mm on the k I000 and carry the 24mm and the 28 and see how it goes. I can always crop, can't make it wider in post. (Ok you can stich).

07-29-2017, 08:09 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello,

Thanks,

Jim Fellows

I am not the fittest/strongest of blokes but I would find it necessary to take an extra lens (or two), the Pentax-A 135mm F2.8 as well as the 18-135mm, the Pentax DA 35mm F2.4 and the Pentax-M 28mm F3.5. Let your son take the Pentax-M 50mm F1.4 and pick up a Pentax DA 55-300mm (or other long telephoto zoom) to take as well.
I spent a day in Alicante with my wife taking in the sights with a Tamron SP 60-300mm on the camera and a 18-55mm kit lens in my wife's handbag. Most of the time I had the 60-300 on the camera and the only wish I had was that I had a Pentax DA 55-300mm instead of the Tamron to save a bit of weight. In September I will be doing the same day trip again...this time with a Pentax 55-300mm. For some reason I seldom find the need of a wide angle lens to take images, maybe it's because I prefer to shoot at longer telephoto distances or that I would feel the lack of a long lens.
Fitting a couple of lens cases to your trouser belt helps if you can.
07-29-2017, 11:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The DA 18-135mm is a truly versatile, all-around lens for travel, or for general use. Very good FL range and image quality, making it less necessary to change lenses on the fly, and very compact and lightweight. The faster primes are mainly for special circumstances such as low-light indoors, etc. It is mainly that. Actually, it is nearly impossible when considering a 24mm prime lens to find one with good edge performance if not stopped down. If a DA 12-24mm were available, it would be the ideal combo with the DA 18-135mm, for a best image-quality wide-angle. Then perhaps just one fast prime for lowest light and that's about it.

When I am going trekking about (touring, hiking, biking) I take one lens on-camera in a camera holster with its strap cross-shoulders, and also use the belt loop to prevent wobbling and swinging. Then perhaps another lens in a lens belt holster on the other side of me. If needed, a small fast prime lens can fit into a pocket.

Last edited by mikesbike; 07-29-2017 at 11:50 AM.
07-29-2017, 01:43 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
Let your son take the Pentax-M 50mm F1.4 and pick up a Pentax DA 55-300mm (or other long telephoto zoom) to take as well.
You make it sound as simple as the drive-through at McDonald's, but it's not that easy for some people. Even those who have a good deal of disposable income will not necessarily go out and casually "pick up" a lens for a short trip like this.
08-04-2017, 11:34 AM   #13

Original Poster
Thank you for all the advice. I ended up using the 18-135 almost exclusively and my son used the 28mm f3.5 on the k-1000. I did carry my 35mm f2.4 for a day, figuring it was the lightest lens, but only used it at night for a couple of shots. I do have an older Quanaray (sp?) (I think it is a Tamron rebadge) 70-300 that is pretty good, but quite large as it is for a full frame, but I did not carry it around the city. We did over 9 miles on foot one day in the sun and heat, and I am glad I did not bother with any more then what we had.

Of course now I am thinking of a wider zoom down the line. Perhaps a 10-20 range.

Jim Fellows
08-05-2017, 06:42 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Of course now I am thinking of a wider zoom down the line. Perhaps a 10-20 range.
I bought the Sigma 10-20 recently (the slower, variable aperture version) and find it is a perfect complement to the 18-135. I can both of them with my K-3 II in a small bag and they covered just about anything I could need.