Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2017, 09:11 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
With the sensor shift functionality in the K-5 and onwards you can use any K-mount lens as a shift lens, to some degree at least. :-)
How much lens shift is that equal to?

==============================

Who uses T&S?
Who uses Pentax built in composition adjustment?

I think I have only used my T&S lens ONCE since moving to digital. I used composition adjustment ONCE on the
K5 just try try it. PS seems so much easier now for the small tilt adjustments I do than toting that heavy lens. I spent more time removing the tilt knob, reducing its size, reinstalling the knob to clear the flash bump than using the lens for digital! I forgot about it. I did not even put it on my lens list below!

07-28-2017, 09:43 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote

I think I have only used my T&S lens ONCE since moving to digital.
Well, besides making panos, you can get out of the way of flash or reflections, or really reduce DOF or change the plane of focus.
07-29-2017, 12:49 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
How much lens shift is that equal to?
I have no experience with shift lenses, but I believe the lens shift movement is quite a bit larger than the sensor shift movement.

I've tried sensor shift once, when photographing a Lego building for my son's 4H project. :-) I might hadn't the right lens to see the full effect of the shift movement, so I can't really tell from my experience how effective it is.
07-29-2017, 05:24 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The Pentax 28 has 11 mm of shift, the Arax 28 has 11, and the Rokinon 24 has 12.

In contrast, "Composition Adjust" offers sensor shift on the K-5, K-7, & K-1 but can only do ±1.5 mm vertically and horizontally (or about 2 mm diagonally although there's not many compositions that would benefit from diagonal shift). The nice part is that you can use it with any lens and it's free. (I'm not sure how much shift is available on other Pentax models.)

MikeSF created a excellent thread on this topic (Composition Adjustment/Sensor Shift...are you using it? - PentaxForums.com) including this example of the effects of it:

Shift has more noticeable effects on full-frame and with wider-angle lenses.

SpecialK has a good list of the uses of shift and tilt. And although the shift effect can be done in post (with perspective correction or keystoning tools) it degrades resolution and affects framing. It's sometimes more effective the create the picture you want in the camera than hope what you took can be corrected the way you want. You can also create exaggerated perspective by shifting in the "wrong" direction and that's an effect that can't be done in post without starting with an image from a much wider-angle lens. The tilt effect is much harder to simulate in post -- bringing a tilted plane into focus would require focus stacking.

07-29-2017, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
bringing a tilted plane into focus would require focus stacking.
Although the opposite is the stated aim of the lensbaby composer (although the same effect can be achieved in a limited way with a normal T/S or much less so the sensor shift. The effect of a slice of focus through a flat plane is quite striking.
07-29-2017, 07:37 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Although the opposite is the stated aim of the lensbaby composer (although the same effect can be achieved in a limited way with a normal T/S or much less so the sensor shift. The effect of a slice of focus through a flat plane is quite striking.
Indeed! The "toy diorama macro" effect is quite popular.

What's interesting is that T/S lenses can either be used to remove the optical artifacts of the photographic process (eliminate perspective distortion and out-of-focus effects across a surface) or exaggerate them.

P.S. I'm surprised more portrait and street photographers don't use shift lenses for full-length portraits. Using a regular lens and angling the camera downward to get head-to-toe filling the frame results in a weird keystoning effect that makes the subject's head and shoulders too large and their legs too small. With a shift lens, one can hold the camera level (and at eye level) and then shift the frame to get head-to-toe.
07-29-2017, 04:28 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
SpecialK has a good list of the uses of shift and tilt. And although the shift effect can be done in post (with perspective correction or keystoning tools) it degrades resolution and affects framing. It's sometimes more effective the create the picture you want in the camera than hope what you took can be corrected the way you want.
Perhaps if you do some of the perspective correction with sensor shift and the rest in post you'll get less degradation than if you do all of it in post?

04-13-2021, 12:42 AM   #23

Some of the Nikon PC lenses can be adapted via the Leitax adapter. I have experience with a 85mm Macro PC 2.8D, it works well.
04-30-2021, 12:19 AM   #24

A wide angle tilt shift for Pentax has been on my wish list for years, the Samyang/Rokinon just doesnt cut it imo

One can only hope that, once the K3iii is a massive success and the K1 iii flies out retailers door, they will add one to the lens roadmap
04-30-2021, 09:26 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gordon_l34 Quote
There is a Pentax 6x7 75mm f4 Tilt and Shift lens which you can use on 35mm equipment with a Pentax 6x7 to 35mm adapter.
Sorry but the P67 75 mm f/4.5 is a "SHIFT ONLY" lens, it doesn't offer tilt to maximize depth-of-field via the Scheimpflug Principle. It is an older design and is rare on the used market.

Regards
05-09-2021, 03:23 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SunnyG. Quote
How many tilt shift or Shift lenses are available in K mount? I am aware of some
I count seven:
  1. SMC Pentax 28mm F3.5 Shift (shift only)
  2. Arsat 35mm F/2.8 PCS H
  3. Arax 35mm F2.8 Tilt/Shift
  4. Arax 80mm F2.8 Tilt/Shift
  5. Lensbaby Sol 45mm F3.5
  6. Samyang 24mm F3.5 ED AS UMC Tilt/Shift
  7. Venus Optics Laowa 15mm F4.5 Zero-D Shift
05-09-2021, 04:30 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Arax Photo | Specials | ARAX 2.8/35mm Tilt & Shift lens.

Here is info on the Schneider Kreuznach lenses. AFAIK only the 50 & 90 were made in K-mount, not the 28mm (which isn't in this PDF)

Industrial Optics / Foto Optics - Schneider Kreuznach
Not sure why you are asking, shift lenses on cameras with mirrors are not a common thing these days and not necessary. I had the Schneider PC 28, nice glass, any mount can be fitted in the back. There was also a 35 mm Curtagon long before the 28, not worth looking for today. Question is what do you want to do with the lens. Adaptors make normal angle shift of MF wide angles...
05-10-2021, 05:14 AM   #29
Pentaxian

not wanting to cross-post hence just the link that might be relevant

- Anyone using Hartblei 45 tilt/shift on 645? - PentaxForums.com
05-10-2021, 05:18 AM   #30

Some Nikon PC lenses can be adapted via Leitax. I use a Nikon Micro 85mm PC 2.8D via Leitax. It is a great lens and a great option.