Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2017, 08:10 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some (mostly) general advice, as there's enough advice regarding specific lenses and lens lines in this thread already:
  • So many options, so tempting, I hear you. Yet I forced myself to slow down a little (also by financial necessity, as I'll readily admit, but anyway). Build your kit one lens at a time, and take the time to fully explore and learn each lens you pick up.
  • Do research before you get a lens, but let it go beyond laboratory-based lens reviews. Get to see a fair amount of (preferably unedited) sample shots taken with the lens you're contemplating, to get a feel if its output would work for you. If I had just listened to reviewers who slammed the DA 10-17mm fisheye zoom for its outrageous purple fringing and supposedly "lackluster" IQ, I would have missed a capable lens that has given me a tremendous lot of fun (see attached sample shots, edited to taste).
  • Keep your mind open for various options, even if they don't belong to certain premium lens lines, unless you plan to take your gear to the Amazon rainforest or Eigernordwand. You already have the cheapo DA 50mm F1.8 in your kit, the "placeholder", but where ruggedness doesn't matter, I have found it to be able to do great things on my K-3 (again, see samples below, taken only yesterday in my backyard, edited to taste).
  • The DFA 100mm F2.8 Macro is probably one of those lenses in the Pentax line-up - performance-, versatility-, and build-quality-wise - with which you can hardly go wrong. It's been on my radar for years now, and I know that sooner or later I will likely end up getting it.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 07-31-2017 at 08:40 AM.
07-31-2017, 08:18 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chunkiness Quote
I have some old glass I started collecting to try on my DSLR. I purchased a Sigma Zoom Master Multi-coated 1:3.5 ~4.5 f=35~70mm, a Tokina SZ-X730 75~300mm F4.5~5.6 Macro 1:3.8, and an SMC Pentax-F 1:4-5.6 35-80mm.
'Old' does not necessarily mean good. I suspect you will find those old consumer zooms to perform rather poorly. Many of us (I know I did) started out surprised that you could buy these old lenses for little money. But we quickly learned that old and cheap is still old and cheap. Better to focus on one good quality lens rather than dozens of poor quality ones that you will just waste time on.
07-31-2017, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
YMMW but I do like shooting primes and here are some thoughts...

35mm - Sigma 35mm ART is amazing and I had it but my uncle took possession of it and I am using DA35 2.4 which is also good but cannot get close to Sigma's performance.
50mm - In regards of 50mm I am using Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG, the last version sold in Pentax mount and is excellent. The SMC Pentax-A 50mm 1.7 is simply excellent as well but you have to pay attention how to use it (position of the sun etc.). The DA50 1.8 you have is good I like to say 60-70% up to performance of the Sigma and equivalent to SMC-A 50mm 1.7
85mm - There is some option there and I looked into Sigma 70mm, Pentax FA77mm and Sigma 85mm. I will probably settle on Sigma 85mm but still did not made decision yet between 77mm and 85mm, also waiting for the new D-FA 85mm while I already have Sigma 70mm Macro which is simply excellent and currently the sharpest lens I have (at least I think so...)
100mm - DFA 100mm is excellent and you have option here as well - Tamron 90mm Macro or Sigma 105mm Macro, and both of them are amazing performers. I had Sigma 105mm but let it go. The cheap option here is also to look for FA 100mm 3.5 Macro (need additional diopter lens to get to 1:1) which delivers for the price can be found
135mm - I think that you have only 2 options here: F and FA 135mm 2.8

Above those focal lengths is few choices available but for my personal use I will probably get DA200mm and later DA300mm as both of those are FF compatible.
In terms of 28mm, 24mm I am on the look out by myself but probably will settle on Sigma's DG Macro series of both.

This is my 2c.