Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2017, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #16

@drumhead, you will be happy with your purchase, I'm pretty sure :-) Especially 35macro is a real dream, I love it!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
08-01-2017, 06:07 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by drumhead Quote
Waiting for my 15mm and 35mm macro. They look so wonderfully constructed and the photos in this forum look spectacular. Can't wait to use them on K70. Hoping this will make a nice small kit for geology fieldwork: shooting landscapes, rock formations, macros on rocks and plants. I was mildly concerned about buying new lenses that won't do FF but their compact size was so compelling. I don't see FF in my near future. Either way I think I will always own aps-c kit for portability. Make sense?
QuoteOriginally posted by Ketsuppi11 Quote
Nice, your selection is good! For geological field work I have always used weather sealed zoom lenses (da* 16-50 / 16-85). Often in bad weather (arctic or desert) and not much time to change lenses.
Over 40 years ago when I did geology fieldwork, all I took was my Canon FTb ql with a chrome nose f1.4 50mm along with a couple of closeup filters. I was paranoid about dust and sand getting inside the gear train and shutter curtains if I changed lenses. The "ql" was a joy when trying to load film fast.

If I were doing that again, I would get the K3 II for the GPS and WR and a 20-40 for the size, WR, and the zooming. I would probably use those same 55mm diameter closeup filters! I still would be too paranoid about dust and sand to change lenses in the field.

Wow GPS coordinates attached to the photos! Smaller camera! Good zoom lens! Automatic image backup! WR! Time and technology have been traveling companions.
08-09-2017, 06:34 PM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for such fine insight and encouragnent. As for WR for fieldwork, your comments are much appreciated. This kit will only come out to play in ideal conditions. The everyday gear is much more robust.

---------- Post added 08-09-17 at 09:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
Over 40 years ago when I did geology fieldwork, all I took was my Canon FTb ql with a chrome nose f1.4 50mm along with a couple of closeup filters. I was paranoid about dust and sand getting inside the gear train and shutter curtains if I changed lenses. The "ql" was a joy when trying to load film fast.

If I were doing that again, I would get the K3 II for the GPS and WR and a 20-40 for the size, WR, and the zooming. I would probably use those same 55mm diameter closeup filters! I still would be too paranoid about dust and sand to change lenses in the field.

Wow GPS coordinates attached to the photos! Smaller camera! Good zoom lens! Automatic image backup! WR! Time and technology have been traveling companions.
Funny... I've been shooting a Pentax-k 55mm/1.8 and close-up filters for part of this summer!
08-09-2017, 06:43 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love the 15 so much I bought it twice! Sold my first one to help finance my K1 purchase. Later after buying a KP, I missed the 15 so much I had to buy another one. It is a very special lens.

I think WR is much more critical with zoom lens.

08-09-2017, 06:47 PM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sibyrnes Quote
I love the 15 so much I bought it twice! Sold my first one to help finance my K1 purchase. Later after buying a KP, I missed the 15 so much I had to buy another one. It is a very special lens.

I think WR is much more critical with zoom lens.
To be honest, it was the "15mm mind control" tread that sealed the deal even though I know I'd probably be better served by the more versatile WR 20-40.

08-09-2017, 06:53 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by drumhead Quote
To be honest, it was the "15mm mind control" tread that sealed the deal even though I know I'd probably be better served by the more versatile WR 20-40.
There is a huge difference between 15mm and 20mm. You NEED the 15
08-09-2017, 07:26 PM   #22
Dark Underlord
Loyal Site Supporter

You have chosen wisely.
I have all five DA Limited primes (pre-HD). I use the 15 and 35 often. I use the 21 occasionally. The 40 and 70 don't get much use at all.
08-10-2017, 03:51 PM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sibyrnes Quote
There is a huge difference between 15mm and 20mm. You NEED the 15
Haha...I like the way you think!

---------- Post added 08-10-17 at 06:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
You have chosen wisely.
I have all five DA Limited primes (pre-HD). I use the 15 and 35 often. I use the 21 occasionally. The 40 and 70 don't get much use at all.
Thanks for the reassurance.