Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: If limited to one series of Vintage Pentax Glass , what would you choose ?
Takumar M42 mount 1518.52%
SMC-K 1417.28%
SMC-M 1113.58%
SMC-A 4150.62%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2017, 06:42 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you need to widen the M42 takumars out a little, there are presets, super tak's, and SMC Taks as a minimum. personally i like the preset taks because of the bokeh.

in k mounts i like the SMC Pentax (AKA K series) build and finish seem superior over the later M and A series

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 08-01-2017 at 06:48 AM.
08-01-2017, 08:25 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
With the initial results of the Poll , and what I already know....lol. (or DONT Know) my M series is getting listed and sold here on the Forum. I don't have the quantity of the M series and they don't really fit in with anything series wise I already have.
When I have too much in the line of lenses , something has to go.
Its confusing , especially when my brain doesn't work right what the settings are for each , until I'm in nothing but a frustrated quandary and stress response and cant shoot anything out of frustration.
Time to simplify greatly ! And get up close and personal with my lenses and learn .

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 08-01-2017 at 08:37 AM.
08-01-2017, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #18
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I have found the best way to learn the good, bad, and ugly about a lens is to use it every day; I shoot in the Single In Challenge and it has done wonders for me, both as a photographer and as a collector/appraiser of lenses...
08-01-2017, 09:13 AM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Did the A series get the votes because of ease of use? Or maybe they are thinking star series? I've got lenses from each set that are unique in their own regards. Like the K 55, amazing build and rendering, or the M 50 1.7 with fantastic bokeh. Of course there's the super Tak 28... oh well, LBA is for another thread... ��

08-01-2017, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
Did the A series get the votes because of ease of use? Or maybe they are thinking star series? I've got lenses from each set that are unique in their own regards. Like the K 55, amazing build and rendering, or the M 50 1.7 with fantastic bokeh. Of course there's the super Tak 28... oh well, LBA is for another thread... ��
This poll got started because of past LBA. It backfired on me as my brain and emotional state took a dump and I just don't have time to test everything.......I will keep 2 series of lenses , and that's it.
Everything else is going. Medical bills are piling up also.
I just listed 2 lenses in the M series for sale here that I simply don't use.
08-01-2017, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
This poll got started because of past LBA. It backfired on me as my brain and emotional state took a dump and I just don't have time to test everything.......I will keep 2 series of lenses , and that's it.
Everything else is going. Medical bills are piling up also.
I just listed 2 lenses in the M series for sale here that I simply don't use.
I'll pm you later. I may be taking those M lenses off your hands...
08-01-2017, 09:56 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
I'll pm you later. I may be taking those M lenses off your hands...
I will make you a sweet deal ! I have more lenses too such as SP 90 and Rikenon 105 macro. I'm having such a hard time right now I cant even post good photos.

08-01-2017, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

I would go with Takumars... Manual aperture works better with stop-down aperture, and a ring in my mind.
08-01-2017, 11:17 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Cabessius Quote
Agree with you about the auto-aperture need, but there are some Ks that beat by far their newer M version (if you donīt mind the bigger size and weight).

K28mm f3.5 is superior to its M sucessor.
K35mm f3.5 is miles ahead of the M35mm f2.8
The same with K105mm f2.8 compared to M100mm f2.8
K135mm f2.5 doesnīt even have a counterpart in M version.

But donīt get me wrong, I also love M series and personally own several of them.
The K85 is supposedly better than the M85 (which is really good).
OTOH, at least the M*300 is better than the K one, arguably also the M-series have the edge with the slower 50mm (1.4/1.7) and the 100 macro.

Seb
08-01-2017, 12:12 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
If only given the choice of using a Vintage set of Pentax lenses ( 24mm - 200mm) on a Pentax DSLR which would you choose ?

But, thank goodness that we're ~not~ limited to just one set of vintage lenses !!!

08-01-2017, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have examples of K,M and A lenses. I would have to say my favorite is the K20mm f/4.
08-01-2017, 01:55 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
But, thank goodness that we're ~not~ limited to just one set of vintage lenses !!!

No......we have choices , but sometimes it gets too big for us and simplicity is better....lol.
OK.....heres my list I'm selling.
I bough and sold a lot off of Goodwill , estate sales , Ebay , Thrift stores, and any place lenses can be found. Everything I have is Excellent to mint condition and works perfect. The only lens I have that shows wear is the Tamron SP 90 macro and the chinon. Some have cases and some don't. All have both caps.

MISC Lenses......
Tamron SP-90 2.5 adaptall-2 macro with case....Didn't test
Sigma Mini Wide 28mm 2.8 with case....Didn't test
Rokinon 135mm 2.8....Sweet lens
Chinon 28mm 2.8 MC M42 mount....Works great and is quite desireable.

Rikenon lenses.....
Rikenon P 105mm macro (Lester Dine) MINT with case (cult Following)
Rikenon P 28mm-70 zoom ...Mint with case mint
Rikenon P 70-210 zoom.....Mint with case mint
Rikenon P 28mm 2.8 (Have 2) Mint....great performers !
Rikenon P 50mm 1.4 mint with case.
(the above set was a kit that was used by the government and I purchased it Goodwill tucson )

Pentax lenses........
SMC-M 50mm 1.4....sweet lens. mint
SMC-M 50 2.0 Mint
SMC-M 50 mm 4.0 Macro mint

SMC-A 24-50 Zoom Mint
SMC-K 28mm 3.5 Mint

Like I said all my lenses are very nice. Ive spent a large part of 3 years getting all the very best , but the thing is that wasn't my intentions of LBA in the start. Its all gotta go.
I'm keeping my Taks , A series , and K series except for duplicates.
I don't know if you read my intro , but dealing with a genetic mutation called MTHFR , VAL , CBS....and it has me all messed up and I can barely function to post anything at all and not doing a very good job of it when I do (go look at the ads I posted this morning.....lol. )
I don't expect top dollar for any of my lenses , and am very willing to do a very good package deal on whatever anyone might want.
I would like to just sell it all to one person and let them sort it out , but that may be impossible on here........thanks.

Ron Oakes/Shirley Hubbard.......Thanks.
08-01-2017, 04:33 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'd take that SMC-A 50mm f/1.2mm for a dollar
08-01-2017, 05:14 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
I'd take that SMC-A 50mm f/1.2mm for a dollar
Don't have that one anymore. Sold it two years ago
08-01-2017, 07:36 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
utak, monochrome and Kerrowdown need not answer. We already know

It would be the A series for me - for range and the automatic aperture. The K series lenses are lovely though.
Hah hah. The Green Button is my friend.

I generally prefer a K lens to its M or A variant. There are fabulous lenses and average lenses in every series though.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-01-2017 at 07:42 PM.