Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: If limited to one series of Vintage Pentax Glass , what would you choose ?
Takumar M42 mount 1518.52%
SMC-K 1417.28%
SMC-M 1113.58%
SMC-A 4150.62%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2017, 08:27 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
No......we have choices , but sometimes it gets too big for us and simplicity is better....lol.
OK.....heres my list I'm selling.
I bough and sold a lot off of Goodwill , estate sales , Ebay , Thrift stores, and any place lenses can be found. Everything I have is Excellent to mint condition and works perfect. The only lens I have that shows wear is the Tamron SP 90 macro and the chinon. Some have cases and some don't. All have both caps.

MISC Lenses......
Tamron SP-90 2.5 adaptall-2 macro with case....Didn't test
Sigma Mini Wide 28mm 2.8 with case....Didn't test
Rokinon 135mm 2.8....Sweet lens
Chinon 28mm 2.8 MC M42 mount....Works great and is quite desireable.

Rikenon lenses.....
Rikenon P 105mm macro (Lester Dine) MINT with case (cult Following)
Rikenon P 28mm-70 zoom ...Mint with case mint
Rikenon P 70-210 zoom.....Mint with case mint
Rikenon P 28mm 2.8 (Have 2) Mint....great performers !
Rikenon P 50mm 1.4 mint with case.
(the above set was a kit that was used by the government and I purchased it Goodwill tucson )

Pentax lenses........
SMC-M 50mm 1.4....sweet lens. mint
SMC-M 50 2.0 Mint
SMC-M 50 mm 4.0 Macro mint

SMC-A 24-50 Zoom Mint
SMC-K 28mm 3.5 Mint

Like I said all my lenses are very nice. Ive spent a large part of 3 years getting all the very best , but the thing is that wasn't my intentions of LBA in the start. Its all gotta go.
I'm keeping my Taks , A series , and K series except for duplicates.
I don't know if you read my intro , but dealing with a genetic mutation called MTHFR , VAL , CBS....and it has me all messed up and I can barely function to post anything at all and not doing a very good job of it when I do (go look at the ads I posted this morning.....lol. )
I don't expect top dollar for any of my lenses , and am very willing to do a very good package deal on whatever anyone might want.
I would like to just sell it all to one person and let them sort it out , but that may be impossible on here........thanks.

Ron Oakes/Shirley Hubbard.......Thanks.
Sending private message on the Rokinon 135.

08-01-2017, 09:58 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This hasn't been a theoretical exercise for me. If you look at my signature block you can see what series I've gone with. All started with a M50/1.7 on my long dead ME Super carried over from film days and then a mild dose of LBA kicked in. Anyone got a cheap M2000 they dont want?
08-02-2017, 06:32 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
This hasn't been a theoretical exercise for me. If you look at my signature block you can see what series I've gone with. All started with a M50/1.7 on my long dead ME Super carried over from film days and then a mild dose of LBA kicked in. Anyone got a cheap M2000 they dont want?
I see you have the M*300, and I have just picked up a mint-like copy of that lens as well. I tried it at the zoo, and found it too long for use unless you just wanted to capture heads, tails, tusks, etc., but the photos that came up were very good. This morning I am trying it again for ducks and turtles at a nearby lake. Do you use it very much? I would kbe quite interested in your experience and thoughts on this lens.
08-02-2017, 06:46 AM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K Series for me as it has the best build, best handling and best optics overall.

The A Series would come in second as it has some great, even better lenses, but some are too plasticity and the handling not as good as the bigger K Series equivalent. So the A Series is less consistent overall.

Phil.

08-02-2017, 05:51 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I see you have the M*300, and I have just picked up a mint-like copy of that lens as well. I tried it at the zoo, and found it too long for use unless you just wanted to capture heads, tails, tusks, etc., but the photos that came up were very good. This morning I am trying it again for ducks and turtles at a nearby lake. Do you use it very much? I would be quite interested in your experience and thoughts on this lens.

I haven't used this lens as much as I should have. For a while I thought it was faulty but the problem turned out to be a deteriorating UV filter on the lens. Once I took the filter off, the lens was fine. In fact the detail it can capture from a distance is quite impressive. Like all M lenses, it needs a little more work in post processing to bring out the best in the images captured.

I've used it only on APS-C so far. On APS-C, the M300/4 equates to 450mm which I agree puts it in the specialty use category.

I bought a K-1 late last year but really haven't had the time to run through the M family much at all on the K-1. Only used so far the M20/4 and a second copy of the M200/4 I picked up cheaply last Christmas. The second M200/4 has pleasantly surprised on FF. I think the APS-C crop pushes the M200/4 a little too hard on resolution - on FF it seems a lot happier. On either format it renders images nicely (provided focus is spot on). If focus is a little out, then fringing quickly kicks in. The M300/4 with its ED element is much better behaved in this respect.

I've been thinking of taking out a one year membership to the Adelaide Zoo. They have in addition to the city zoo, an open range zoo about 45 minutes out of the city - I suspect this is where longer lenses like the M300/4 will come into their own - provided animals stay still long enough to get focus sorted! I found swimming ducks with the M300 thoroughly frustrating. They seem to either be swimming towards me or away - neither is good for manual focussing of long telephotos!
08-02-2017, 06:32 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax-M 400mm not 300mm

I haven't used this lens as much as I should have. For a while I thought it was faulty but the problem turned out to be a deteriorating UV filter on the lens. Once I took the filter off, the lens was fine. In fact the detail it can capture from a distance is quite impressive. Like all M lenses, it needs a little more work in post processing to bring out the best in the images captured.

I've used it only on APS-C so far. On APS-C, the M300/4 equates to 450mm which I agree puts it in the specialty use category.

I bought a K-1 late last year but really haven't had the time to run through the M family much at all on the K-1. Only used so far the M20/4 and a second copy of the M200/4 I picked up cheaply last Christmas. The second M200/4 has pleasantly surprised on FF. I think the APS-C crop pushes the M200/4 a little too hard on resolution - on FF it seems a lot happier. On either format it renders images nicely (provided focus is spot on). If focus is a little out, then fringing quickly kicks in. The M300/4 with its ED element is much better behaved in this respect.

I've been thinking of taking out a one year membership to the Adelaide Zoo. They have in addition to the city zoo, an open range zoo about 45 minutes out of the city - I suspect this is where longer lenses like the M300/4 will come into their own - provided animals stay still long enough to get focus sorted! I found swimming ducks with the M300 thoroughly frustrating. They seem to either be swimming towards me or away - neither is good for manual focussing of long telephotos!
I really mis-spoke because my telephoto M is the 400mm not the 300mm. However, what you have stated about the 300mm applies as well to the 400. On APS-C the field of view is same as 600, which is why I could only get tusks, heads, and tails. However, I did have the Pentax-M 200mm with me, and it turned out to be just about right for zoo animals. The 400mm definitely needed post processing noodling to get good quality photos, but the 200 looks good right out of the box.

Cheers,

ivan
08-04-2017, 01:23 AM   #37
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

I have been shooting windsurf with M*300/4 using fast burst and catch in focus with good results. Well, K-30 works great, but K-5 doesn't lock focus as reliable. Flying birds were more difficult, but from time to time you can catch them also.

Windsurfing: Sports photography - single images - Page 20 - PentaxForums.com

A tern in flight. K-30 M*300/4 CIF:

08-04-2017, 01:39 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it has to be the A series for me (although the F-series are pretty vintage now) - Pentax were at their height then and produced a full range of interesting optics.