Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2008, 05:43 PM   #16
Veteran Member

i got mine when i had it from B&H
cameracanada lists it on their website but it's a special order

i believe i've read someone had Henry's order them one, so you might want to check out that perspective as well

08-20-2008, 01:06 AM   #17

i noticed a couple months ago that this lens disappeared from the pentaximaging website.

Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page has it listed as discontinued as well. (he says last production 2004, which i suspect is to long ago).

i think bh and adorama still carry it though, for now.

resolution is pretty awesome on this lens even from max aperture. but when i put it to f/4 it makes my eyes pop out of my head! it's scary sharp - some tests have it as among pentax's sharpest ever i think. even so, i still lust after the 31mm daily not just for the bragging rights, but also i think i would prefer that wider focal length 47mm vs. 53mm (the da*30mm (46mmeq.) can't come soon enough!).

of course, i would love to see both on an un-cropped format...i think the "character" of the lenses would increase greatly (i can imagine some beautiful cats-eye oof highlights).

here's a recent parting shot, made under less-than-ideal imaging conditions, but i think it's better for it. 1/25sec f/2 ISO400:

please remember, this image is (c) 2008, all rights reserved.

there's just a hinting of radial blur/swirl that i think would be more present on ff, and would look awesome.

-
08-20-2008, 01:52 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A sharp lens, sure enough, but I found my copy to be poor in other respects - especially quite ugly bokeh. But OK for the money if your expectations are not too high.
08-20-2008, 02:56 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jthommo Quote
A sharp lens, sure enough, but I found my copy to be poor in other respects - especially quite ugly bokeh. But OK for the money if your expectations are not too high.
I second this. I bought this lens two years ago because I had read so many excellent reviews all over the Internet. The resolution is of course quite good but I have been very disappointed by the ugly bokeh and the annoying longitudinal chromatic aberration. One more proof that lens resolution is not the most important specification (at least to me ).

Cheers!

Abbazz

08-20-2008, 04:05 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by architorture Quote
i noticed a couple months ago that this lens disappeared from the pentaximaging website...
It must have been hiding!

Pentax Imaging: smc P-FA 35mm F2.0 AL - FA - Wide Angle - Digital & 35mm - Lenses - Cameras by Pentax

Steve
08-20-2008, 09:06 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Interesting, it seems it's on the pentax imaging site, but not pentax slr.
08-20-2008, 09:12 AM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nixcamic Quote
Interesting, it seems it's on the pentax imaging site, but not pentax slr.
I noticed that as well. It may be that they don't want to market the FA 35/2 to new dSLR owners in deference to the DA* 35/2.8.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-20-2008 at 08:07 PM.
08-20-2008, 11:42 AM   #23

well found! honestly though, i meant to say pentaxslr website
Pentax Digital SLR Cameras :: Lenses here, it is missing.

woops, didn't read the next posts. sorry guys.