Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2017, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

I bought a silver version and then a silver KP. I have had the DA 21mm, and DA 40mm for some years, and do enjoy their fine quality. But I now find the quality I get from this zoom lens on my KP does rival that from those fine primes! And of course, since it is a zoom, I can frame shots from where I stand. This lens is small for a zoom of better than average speed, quite compact, and balances beautiful on my KP, even with the small grip in use. It handles very well, and its AF works great. The fact it has WR is a plus also. It with the DA 15mm LTD and the DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 make for a very high-quality trio covering a wide FL range.

Now I only use the DA 40mm LTD when I need f/2.8 and/or for an extra-small package. I rarely use the DA 21mm LTD, and then only for extra-small carrying.

08-02-2017, 04:24 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bui Quote

From that point of view, the new DA 20-40mm seems quite interesting, because it covers both focal length, and meanwhile it's a bit slow at the long-end, it's quite compact, light and beautifully made for a zoom. However, it is also very expensive, and I'm wondering if it has some other special features? Image quality, can it be comparable with the two primes?
Don't forget you are also getting focal lengths such as 24, 28 and 30 which are quite handy...
You are also getting a nicely crafted lens with HD (newer) coating; it is quite compact and light for a zoom lens,

QuoteOriginally posted by Bui Quote
If there is a step down in image quality, I will forget about it, however, if they are more or less the same, I may think about getting one at the end of the year, providing that I find a good deal.
Although you may think of it as a slower lens on the long end compare to the DA 40 at f4, 24-32 at f3.5... it is by no means compromised in image quality (although I have no way to compare to the DA21 and DA40). This is my regular everyday lens and have used it quite often for all my event photography. My copy of this lens is very sharp especially when it is stopped down to f5.6-f8.
08-02-2017, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #18

You can aim this lens directly into the sun and it doesn't flare either...The coatings are worth the price of admission alone!, with the added bonus of WR and near silent AF. I pretty much only use this lens outdoors so f2.8-4 doesn't matter to me, but can crank up the ISO if needed...You need this lens!📷
08-02-2017, 05:38 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

I have 21 and 40 limiteds and really like them but I also wanted a walk around zoom for those times when I don't want to change lenses. The choice came down to the limited zoom and the HD DA 16-85 after I eliminated the Sigma options. Cost was a big issue and I decided getting the limited zoom and having the equivalent Limit primes (I also have the 35 macro) was a redundancy. For these two reasons I ended up going for the 16-85 and I really like the lens a lot for what it provides. It is a question of priorities and everyone elses may be different from mine. I am very happy with a zoom with a very versatile zoom range when I don't want to change lenses and don't mind the extra weight. The option of switching to the 21 and 40 limiteds when I want to travel light and don't mind a lens swap or two gives me the best of both worlds. All of that said, I am sure if I went with the limited zoom, I would have been very happy with it. Both lenses have their proponents and both have very good ratings on this forum.

08-03-2017, 06:43 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Groove Quote
I have the 20-40 which I bought to replace the 21 and 40. I sold the 21 and don't really miss it. I still have the 40 but hardly ever use it - I guess compactness is not that important to me. The 20-40 is soft when fully open, but sharpens up nicely around f5.6. Agree with the earlier points about colour.

I also have the 70 which is my favourite lens, but it is indeed a pain to change lenses all the time.
I personally haven't noticed softness wide open, but I can agree things are CRAZY sharp at 5.6 and beyond. I personally don't think a lens could get better than this once stopped down. Just my opinion.
08-03-2017, 06:32 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

The DA 20-40 is by far my favorite ASP-C lens, it's the lens that's on my K-3II most of the time. Will usually carry the DA*50-135 as a companion lens, a great combination when I want to carry light and leave the K-1 at home. Had the DA 16-85 for a while, good lens but just liked what I got from the 20-40 better. Like others have said, the colors and rendering are truly amazing.
08-05-2017, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #22
Bui
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
After reading all of your comments, now the 20-40 has entered my wishlist officially I hope I can afford it someday though.

08-05-2017, 07:59 AM   #23

Sell your 21mm & 40mm lenses, you won't miss/use em once you get the 20-40 anyways.That should get you enough to make the switch.
08-05-2017, 06:49 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Simply put it is two prime quality lenses in one. I love mine, it is typically glued to my KP. I still carry a 15 Limited for wide work and my 55 * for a modest telephoto makes for a nice 3 lenses "kit." With great quality for photos or if I am not in the mood I grab the K3II with the 16-85.
08-06-2017, 04:40 PM   #25
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
I really can't decide between the 20-40 Ltd and the HD 16-85 as my new WR walkaround. Useful extra range vs pixie dust..
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I acquired a 16-85mm and I was much more satisfied. Yes, it is bigger...but I needed nothing else on a recent trip to Hawaii.
QuoteOriginally posted by longbow Quote
Had the DA 16-85 for a while, good lens but just liked what I got from the 20-40 better.
Comparing apples and oranges?
08-06-2017, 05:38 PM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Not for me, no. I need something in the wide-ish to normal-ish range with WR for taking out in the rain and on the beach. I have the range fairly adequately covered in fast glass already, so it is really only the WR that I'm missing. I had the 18-135 and, while a good lens, it's nothing special. That said, the choices are the 16-85, the 20-40 and the (star) 16-50. Unfortunately, they all have their downsides...the first two are not as fast as I'd ideally like, and the third has some unfortunate build issues and a step up in price. Given that the star lens's price seems to me an awful lot to pay for something with such a high chance of early failure, the other two are left standing.

The 20-40 and the 16-85 are both similar speed, both DC, both HD, both WR, both APSC, both in the wide-ish to normal-ish range, both kinda similar price...just one has that Limited 'dust', the other has more range. So to me, more like comparing a cox's apple and a pippin.
08-06-2017, 05:46 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Electric Eye Quote
Sell your 21mm & 40mm lenses, you won't miss/use em once you get the 20-40 anyways.That should get you enough to make the switch.
20-40 was on my buying list for a while. I would switch to 20-40 already If only it could produce as beautiful starbursts as those see in 21 and or 35 ltd.

Last edited by pakinjapan; 08-06-2017 at 08:22 PM.
08-06-2017, 06:37 PM   #28
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
The 20-40 and the 16-85 are both similar speed, both DC, both HD, both WR, both APSC, both in the wide-ish to normal-ish range, both kinda similar price...just one has that Limited 'dust', the other has more range. So to me, more like comparing a cox's apple and a pippin.
That's sound reasoning, if I may say so, but there seems to me a world of difference between a lens that covers 20-40mm and weighs 283g and a lens that covers 16-85mm and weighs 488g. Like the OP, the potential attraction of the 20-40 for me would be as a prime-substitute, not as a walkaround-zoom substitute.
08-06-2017, 08:20 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
No, two different lens, just stating which I preferred. Owned both at the same time, when I gave my daughter my K-3, the DA16-85 went with it - she's happy with it. So I made the statement from the standpoint of - "If I had to choose between the two...." with practical hands on experience to back it up. YMMV
08-07-2017, 12:48 AM   #30
Pentaxian

I have read mostly good things about the 20-40mm, though I've seen some complaints about softness, all lenses have their duff copies. I get the impression it's a zoom lens for people who like primes.

Personally, I'd like to replace my 21mm and 40mm with this one (but not the 35mm, oh no, not the 35mm...) but the high price makes it too expensive for me. Even if I were willing to spend that kind of cash, I'd probably pick the reputedly superb 16-85mm instead for the increased focal length when travelling.