Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2017, 04:13 AM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
That's sound reasoning, if I may say so, but there seems to me a world of difference between a lens that covers 20-40mm and weighs 283g and a lens that covers 16-85mm and weighs 488g. Like the OP, the potential attraction of the 20-40 for me would be as a prime-substitute, not as a walkaround-zoom substitute.
Exactly how I feel about comparing the Limited zoom to the DA 16-85. As a walk around zoom my choice is the 16-85 especially for its range. for compactness. I have the SMC limited primes and I would not give them up for another zoom, especially considering the starbursts I get with the 15 and 21 versions.

08-07-2017, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whenever you have a discussion about "this instead of that" the obvious conclusion is aways "If you have to ask, you want both." The 60-250 or DA 200 with 1.4TC are both worthy alternatives to the DA*300, but people still want the DA*300. It's more about the person than the lenses. My philosophy is cover your entire desired focal range with zooms, fill in with primes when necessary. Even if i carried the 20-40 I'd want the 40XS for ƒ2.8 shooting, the 31 for ƒ1.8 shooting. SO, I don't see it as a prime replacer. Primes still have things to offer. And the range is just unacceptable for the. I'm already carrying the Sigma 8-16, 18-135, and 60-250. The 20-240 is just odd, in that it doesn't have enough range to replace one of my zooms. In fact it's whole range is covered very nicely by the 18-135 or 16-85.

So the folks I see being happy with this lens would be people who shoot a lot in that focal length, and don't really care about longer focal lentghts. Carrying my 8-16 and 60-250 it would simply leave too big a gap from 40-60 and require way too many lens changes because of a lack of over lap. But I'm limited by what I can carry in my bag. maybe others carry bigger bags and don't have to take a lens out if they put a lens in.

But that's just me, it could be good for you.

This lens in full frame would have been a killer lens. In APs-c it just has way to many competitors that cover that focal length that have a lot to offer to ever be a really popular lens, but it might be the lens for you. It's completely your decision.
08-07-2017, 02:01 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My DA 20-40 is best at the wide end, where it seemed to equal my DA 21. I got rid of the latter lens as a result. The DA 20-40 is not quite as good at the long end, wide open; but stopped down a few clicks it does just fine. This is similar to the DA 40 that I subsequently sold. I've mostly considered my self a prime lens person, but the DA 20-40 is on my camera most of the time, now. I do still have a few primes for when I am in the mood.