Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2017, 11:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
18-50 on older bodies

I understand the 18-50 won't work on anything before the k100d super. What I'm wondering about is what limitations it would have on a k10d. For example, the Sony 16-50 requires so much correction that it might as well not function at all on the NEX bodies that don't support corrections. I'm wondering if the 18-50 is the same, or is what comes out of the lens pretty normal to begin with?

08-04-2017, 11:45 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
I understand the 18-50 won't work on anything before the k100d super. What I'm wondering about is what limitations it would have on a k10d. For example, the Sony 16-50 requires so much correction that it might as well not function at all on the NEX bodies that don't support corrections. I'm wondering if the 18-50 is the same, or is what comes out of the lens pretty normal to begin with?
As long as you have firmware >= 1.3, I think the lens should work normally. Not being able to fully recognize the lens, the camera will likely let you shoot even when the lens is collapsed or not fully extended, but otherwise the image quality won't be affected.

The real issue would be if you tried using the lens on a non-SDM body, since you wouldn't be able to focus at all (even manually).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-04-2017, 07:22 PM   #3
Pentaxian

It is the only lens I own that will auto focus on my wife's K10D as the screwdriver stopped working after she dropped the camera. I don't remember how fast it focused but it does work on it.
08-04-2017, 11:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I thought the DA*16-50mm f/2.8 SDM also has screw-drive capability for non-SDM equipped bodies. Oh, you mean the new compact DA 18-50mm DC lens- well, that's a different story. I do think the K-10D has had firmware updates available for its being compatible with the later DC and SDM lenses. For a camera in that class, however, unless you already have that DA 18-50mm, I would recommend the DA 18-135mm or the DA 16-85mm as a better match.

Last edited by mikesbike; 08-04-2017 at 11:58 PM.
08-05-2017, 08:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I thought the DA*16-50mm f/2.8 SDM also has screw-drive capability for non-SDM equipped bodies. Oh, you mean the new compact DA 18-50mm DC lens- well, that's a different story. I do think the K-10D has had firmware updates available for its being compatible with the later DC and SDM lenses. For a camera in that class, however, unless you already have that DA 18-50mm, I would recommend the DA 18-135mm or the DA 16-85mm as a better match.
I'm really more of a small prime person myself. I was just thinking that in a couple months, when they go on super-clearance (and I have some money), I might pick up a k-s2. If I do, it would be nice if the kit lens worked on more than one of my cameras.