Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2008, 01:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Sigma 10-20, polariser or not ?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Having hopefully just received a good copy of the Sigma 10-20 (after 2 awful ones) I'm considering polariser options, one is pretty much permanently on my Sigma 17-70...

the problem with wide angle lenses is I believe that polarisers can create uneven polarisation effects but to current owners just how bad are these "effects" ?

I normally go with Hoya Pro 1 D filters but a 77mm one is very expensive, is there a similiar quality viable alternative ?

Any advice much appreciated

simon

08-19-2008, 03:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
it's mostly useful only in portrait mode...covers maybe 2/3 of the sky in landscape mode...
Did you get the HSM version of the 10-20? I'm curious if it's any better than the screw drive one...
08-19-2008, 05:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

maybe this will help? Polarizers

they have an example of the uneven polarization
08-19-2008, 08:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't think there is HSM for the Pentax mount versions of the Sigma 10-20mm.

08-20-2008, 08:34 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Ditto pop4, no HSM on ANY Sigma lenses for Pentax (yet) and no announced plans to revamp existing lenses with HSM.

That said, I found my 10-20mm focused fairly quickly on my K10D (it has a really short focus throw)
08-20-2008, 10:51 AM   #6
jlp
Forum Member

Try this link . . . don't know how they would figure shipping to you . . . you can email them. Always had great prices and good services on everything I've bought from them (ebay and their website.)

I use the Marumi CPL's for both my 12-24mm (77mm) and 16-45mm (67mm) and find them very good (I also use a 49mm CPL also for non-wide lenses.) As a bonus, they are low profile and, used without other filters in a stack, do not vignette. I would put them in the same quality bracket of the elite filters (Heliopan, B & W, Nikon.)

Attached is a .dng sidecar .jpg as an example. 12-24 @ 12mm w/CPL; 1/125 sec @ f13 straight from camera without any processing (I don't use jpg's except for quick viewing.)
Attached Images

08-20-2008, 11:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info & the links....

As mentioned no HSM for Pentax but the lens does focus quickly, noticeably quicker than my Sigma 17-70...

I'm going to give the polariser a try anyway, alway found one invaluable on the 17-70

thanks

simon

08-20-2008, 03:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Hi,

QuoteOriginally posted by simonkit Quote
Having hopefully just received a good copy of the Sigma 10-20 (after 2 awful ones) I'm considering polariser options, one is pretty much permanently on my Sigma 17-70...

the problem with wide angle lenses is I believe that polarisers can create uneven polarisation effects but to current owners just how bad are these "effects" ?

I normally go with Hoya Pro 1 D filters but a 77mm one is very expensive, is there a similiar quality viable alternative ?

Any advice much appreciated

simon
I use a cheap digital concepts 77mm polarizer I got on ebay with my sigma 10-20, for about $15 I think. I have been fairly happy with the results. One of my coworkers who is a Nikon user just bought a sigma 10-20 for his camera after he saw my photos with the sigma, and got to play with my K200D and the sigma a little bit.

I don't keep the polarizer on the lens all the time. It does darken the frame. I use a UV filter when the polarizer is not on.
08-20-2008, 07:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I dont have any advice about the CP filter other than to say I can feel your pain, I to always have to have a UV/CL filter and CPL filter with every lens (gets kinda expensive) and of good quality. But congratulations on getting a good (or great) lens. I have read and seen great pics from this lens, maybe buying lens today is like a lottery but if your willing to work at it as you did, the end result is happy happy wide angle pic taking. Post some pics and what you think of it.