Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
08-07-2017, 03:07 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want wider, I think start by selling two out of your 3 overlapping zooms (keep the one you like best, for me I think it would be the 16-45mm f4). Then get the Pentax DA 12-24mm - a stunning lens for landscapes. If the budget doesn't allow for it, then the Sigma 10-20mm (either version) should be a good, cheaper alternative. The Tamron 10-24mm doesn't have the same reputation as the others mentioned, but I've seen great landscapes taken with it. I think it has more to do with the photographer, frankly... invest in your skills as well, it's the best investment you can make.

08-08-2017, 06:39 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
If you want wider, I think start by selling two out of your 3 overlapping zooms (keep the one you like best, for me I think it would be the 16-45mm f4). Then get the Pentax DA 12-24mm - a stunning lens for landscapes. If the budget doesn't allow for it, then the Sigma 10-20mm (either version) should be a good, cheaper alternative. The Tamron 10-24mm doesn't have the same reputation as the others mentioned, but I've seen great landscapes taken with it. I think it has more to do with the photographer, frankly... invest in your skills as well, it's the best investment you can make.
The Sigma has bee a solid performer for years now. I think the f3.5 version is the only new lens available. Also, it is quite a deal for what you are getting. If you have some extra cash, I would still consider the DA 12-24 over the 10-20 simply for the Pentax colors. Nothing wrong with Sigma, I just think Pentax has an edge.
08-08-2017, 07:39 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote
The Sigma has bee a solid performer for years now. I think the f3.5 version is the only new lens available. Also, it is quite a deal for what you are getting. If you have some extra cash, I would still consider the DA 12-24 over the 10-20 simply for the Pentax colors. Nothing wrong with Sigma, I just think Pentax has an edge.
I haven't had either, but people say the Sigma f/3.5 version doesn't really sharpen up in the corners. However real world results I have seen from it have been stellar, so I think people probably worry too much about these things. I find the colors and the rendering of the Sigma very good as well. The Pentax lens does have some "pixel dust" though, but whether it is worth the difference in price is up to the buyer... and the results are probably going to be more related to the person behind the viewer than the lens itself, at that level.
08-08-2017, 10:01 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
BAck to the OP original post, he/she's asking for suggestion in expanding his/her gear buying lenses with good cost/performance ratio. There are no simple answers. My experience is that having 3 lenses (10-20; 35 ; 70-200) covers most of the situations . With Pentax I love my old primes (20;28;55;200;300 ) . I had DA17-70 and 50-200 for the K5 but I let the k5 go and save money for the K1. My perspective is having 2 different setups: AF with APSC and almost zooms; FF (in the near future) with primes. I do love primes much more than zooms, but I admit zooms are much more "easy" or versatile. But, as in the old good days , a small bag with a FF and 20/24,50,135 primes is something I miss.

Last edited by bm75; 08-08-2017 at 10:10 AM.
08-08-2017, 01:22 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hello

Relating to the original question: “What would your strategy be, lens-wise, to improve image quality for the least expenditure?”

My advice is:
1 - compare the Tamron 17-50 F2.8 and the Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4 and decide who is the one with “best image quality” for you;
2 - keep the one you have chosen and sell the other 3 lenses;
3 - pocket the money!

Best regards,
08-08-2017, 02:23 PM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
Realistically, I'm not going to own a K1 in the near future so AF & APS/C it is - I'll keep the Sigma 17-70 and search for a good Sigma 10-20 to go alongside it.
I think this may be the best compromise, unless of course I happen to stumble upon a bargain version of one of the more expensive suggestions in the process.

Thank you all for the suggestions.