Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2017, 05:24 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Lensrentals.com has the 16-85, the 20-40, and the 18-135. Each for less than $50 for a week. I may have to do some trial runs in the coming months.

08-10-2017, 11:55 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Now with much time for the mind to wander I'm reassessing whether 2018 is the time (and do we have the additional budget) for the long-rumored larger family Switzerland/Germany trip instead of Iceland. Either would be spectacular, and my lens choices probably wouldn't be wildly different either way.
08-10-2017, 12:30 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I took most of my pics with Pentax Da* 16-50mm f2.8 when I was there. WR was a must...the rain doesn't hold back when it comes. Another alternative might be a used Pentax 18-135mm on ebay. Hope you have a great holiday!
08-11-2017, 03:11 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Replace the XS with the 40 Limited.
IMO, the DA 40mm XS is not a lens to get rid of, it is compact and fast enough, it takes up no space in your camera bag, or a pocket, it's the perfect prime when you need to ditch your zoom lens. It's small size turns my K-5 DSLR into a great, pocketable camera for walking around, street shooting, or informal portraits around the evening table while sharing a drink and talking about hte days events, and planning tomorrow's

Otherwise, I think the 18-55 you already own is a good idea, or get the 18-135 WR (I bought mine used here on PF and love it). Then again, I'm all about sticking with one lens for the day and not swapping, I'd rather enjoy the trip and not fiddle with gear, except for swapping to the 40 XS in certain occasions.

---------- Post added 08-11-17 at 06:15 ----------

Lensrentals.com has the 16-85, the 20-40, and the 18-135. Each for less than $50 for a week. I may have to do some trial runs in the coming months.
Sorry for the double post, renting a tentative purchase is always a good idea, IMO. For that matter, renting a lens I might only use once a year is a great way to save money.

I might have overlooked this, but instead of a lens, a good monopod or good compact travel tripod might be a better way to make your travel photo experience a better one. Monopods get short shrift, but that bit of stability goes a long way in making that f5.6 zoom useable in lower light.

08-11-2017, 06:56 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
IMO, the DA 40mm XS is not a lens to get rid of, it is compact and fast enough, it takes up no space in your camera bag, or a pocket, it's the perfect prime when you need to ditch your zoom lens. It's small size turns my K-5 DSLR into a great, pocketable camera for walking around, street shooting, or informal portraits around the evening table while sharing a drink and talking about hte days events, and planning tomorrow's

Otherwise, I think the 18-55 you already own is a good idea, or get the 18-135 WR (I bought mine used here on PF and love it). Then again, I'm all about sticking with one lens for the day and not swapping, I'd rather enjoy the trip and not fiddle with gear, except for swapping to the 40 XS in certain occasions.

---------- Post added 08-11-17 at 06:15 ----------

Sorry for the double post, renting a tentative purchase is always a good idea, IMO. For that matter, renting a lens I might only use once a year is a great way to save money.

I might have overlooked this, but instead of a lens, a good monopod or good compact travel tripod might be a better way to make your travel photo experience a better one. Monopods get short shrift, but that bit of stability goes a long way in making that f5.6 zoom useable in lower light.
The only reason I want to replace the 40XS is mine is broken. I dropped it and the K-3II. Camera is fine, lens decentered.

I have a borrowed monopod I haven't tried out yet. I'll have to use it and see how much I like it.

09-13-2017, 06:18 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Now with much time for the mind to wander I'm reassessing whether 2018 is the time (and do we have the additional budget) for the long-rumored larger family Switzerland/Germany trip instead of Iceland. Either would be spectacular, and my lens choices probably wouldn't be wildly different either way.

I've discussed trip planning with my extended family and we've decided to spool up for an epic Germany 2019 trip, which means we're probably on for a 2018 Iceland trip with the immediate family (wife, two boys aged 9 and 11 next summer). About a week. My idea is to rent a house/cottage somewhere north of Reykjavik, maybe in the Borgarnes area. Then make day trips to Snaefellness, Golden Circle, maybe the south coast from there.

I need to figure out my lens rental plans for trial runs. I spend Thanksgiving at the old family farm, with ample photo opportunities. I might rent the 20-40 and 16-85 that week.
09-13-2017, 07:35 AM   #22

Make sure you have a superwide along if you visit any of the historic churches and such. I didn't have one along and very much regretted it!

09-13-2017, 10:51 AM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I have used lensrental.com and was quite pleased.

they may offer to sell you the equipment you rent and apply your rental fees toward the price

if you are going to do multiple try outs check out their special offer re: shipping

be sure you get the best " insurance " option they offer

speaking of insurance is your equipment insured

I have a separate " personal article " policy covering my cameras and lenses which according to my insurance agent covers me even if the " problem " arises out of the country.

I was told that any coverage I have under my home owner's or automobile policy would not help if a " problem " occurred out of the country.

I really like my 40 mm xs. perhaps you can find a " experienced " one at a good price as I did, I got mine from a forum member via the market place

QuoteOriginally posted by photomax7 Quote
. . . WR was a must...the rain doesn't hold back when it comes. . . .
regarding weather issues

consider the method used by many before W R or A W existed:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Rain-Capes-Covers-Slickers/ci/3313/N/4075788778

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-13-2017 at 10:59 AM.
09-14-2017, 04:59 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by emergo Quote
Make sure you have a superwide along if you visit any of the historic churches and such. I didn't have one along and very much regretted it!

I have the 15 limited, which is probably my favorite lens. But it's not terribly fast and maybe not made for dark indoor scenes.

I also have the Rokinon 8mm fisheye, which is a bit faster but also not truly fast. I hadn't even considered the fisheye for the trip, I like to pack reasonably light. But I'll have to think about it... I have actually used it for some pretty great landscape shots in Kauai. If you center up the horizon you barely even notice the fishiness. Maybe it could pull some double duty.

---------- Post added 09-14-17 at 08:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I have used lensrental.com and was quite pleased.

they may offer to sell you the equipment you rent and apply your rental fees toward the price

if you are going to do multiple try outs check out their special offer re: shipping

be sure you get the best " insurance " option they offer

I'll keep my eye out for special offers. I've used Borrowlenses.com and was very happy with them, but they don't have the 16-85, and I'm not sure they have the 20-40.

QuoteQuote:
speaking of insurance is your equipment insured

I have a separate " personal article " policy covering my cameras and lenses which according to my insurance agent covers me even if the " problem " arises out of the country.

I was told that any coverage I have under my home owner's or automobile policy would not help if a " problem " occurred out of the country.
Huh, I'll have to look into that. Although I don't really have a professional grade kit, the sum total of all my gear might not sell for $3000. Insurance is only good if you can't afford the loss.

QuoteQuote:
I really like my 40 mm xs. perhaps you can find a " experienced " one at a good price as I did, I got mine from a forum member via the market place
That's how I got my dear, departed XS. I'd almost certainly be buying the 40mm limited used, too.

QuoteQuote:
regarding weather issues

consider the method used by many before W R or A W existed:

Rain Protection | B&H Photo Video
Another good idea. $30 is certainly less than the cost of even a rental of a 16-85 or a 20-40.

Last edited by ThorSanchez; 09-14-2017 at 05:21 AM.
09-14-2017, 06:31 AM   #25
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . I'll keep my eye out for special offers. I've used Borrowlenses.com and was very happy with them, but they don't have the 16-85, and I'm not sure they have the 20-40. [ insurance ] Huh, I'll have to look into that. Although I don't really have a professional grade kit, the sum total of all my gear might not sell for $3000. Insurance is only good if you can't afford the loss. . . . [ wetness protection ] Another good idea. $30 is certainly less than the cost of even a rental of a 16-85 or a 20-40.
on insurance, it isn't the individual cost of replacing one item. I assume that if I lose something or it is stolen, it will be multiple items. Since we carry a personal article rider for other things as well, it is worth it to me to add the photographic equipment.

remember that " WR " and " AW " is a rating placed on the lens and camera by the manufacturer, not an independent lab ,

there is a thread calling into question [ justified or not ] whether Pentax backs up the equipment if damaged by moisture

Warning: it is 7 pages or more

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/349918-weather-resistance...ml#post4054830

it does have some good hints on how to use your equipment " during moisture events "

it might be wise to use the type of product I referenced even with equipment " rated " WR " or " A W " under conditions where you are certain you will encounter dust and moisture

I plan on trusting the ratings for " protection " under limited circumstances

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-14-2017 at 07:04 AM.
09-14-2017, 07:31 AM   #26
Pentaxian

From my single experience in Iceland a sturdy tripod is even more important than WP lenses, especially if using ND filters. I took a Manfrotto tripod I use for my 4X5 camera and it was not always enough, in fact there was one time that we more worried about being blown off the cliff than getting a photo. And I live in southern Alberta where winds of 100 kph are not unheard of.

However I was using mostly my Hasselblad hence if the rain was hard I could spare my Pentax for quick shots.

Enjoy yourself it is a great place, at least the little part I saw. And don't be like me and come down with a very bad case of bronchitis while there. I plan on stopping over there for a week next summer or fall on the trip to the Hebrides my wife and I have planned.

---------- Post added 09-14-17 at 08:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
From my single experience in Iceland a sturdy tripod is even more important than WP lenses, especially if using ND filters. I took a Manfrotto tripod I use for my 4X5 camera and it was not always enough, in fact there was one time that we more worried about being blown off the cliff than getting a photo. And I live in southern Alberta where winds of 100 kph are not unheard of.

However I was using mostly my Hasselblad hence if the rain was hard I could spare my Pentax for quick shots.

Enjoy yourself it is a great place, at least the little part I saw. And don't be like me and come down with a very bad case of bronchitis while there. I plan on stopping over there for a week next summer or fall on the trip to the Hebrides my wife and I have planned.
Edit take along some shower caps if you don't buy a raincoat for your camera. They do help and are very easy to use with your prime lenses.
09-15-2017, 12:45 AM - 2 Likes   #27

I spent 9 days in Iceland at the end of May and start of June this year - did the full loop around the island on Route 1, very nice place. My first piece of advice is don't just stay in the southwest. Sure, the Golden Circle has quite a bit in it, but if you head out you will get to see wonderful things that the stop-over-visitors don't and experience it without the crowds. Some of the best stuff I did involved being the only people there, and you wont get that in the southwest! Getting to Myvatn is totally worth it, not only is it stunning, but there is plenty to see on the way.

Anyway, I took my K-1 and probably too many lenses (but I did much more than just Iceland, that's my excuse). At a minimum, you will want something wide:

(Myvatn - FA* 24mm; ~16mm on APS-C)

(On the northern road to Akureyri - DFA 28-105mm @ 28mm; ~18mm on APS-C)

You'd be surprised how often you are taking landscape shots at normal and tele focal lengths - the air is so clear your visibility just goes on and on and on. So you definately want something in the middle - say 30-75mm on APS-C:

(Siglufjörður - DFA 28-105mm @ 105mm; ~70mm on APS-C)

And you will want something with reach, because... well... this:

(Puffin - DA* 60-250 @ 250 and then cropped some; probably 300-400mm on APS-C)

And finally, some good ND filters and a sturdy tripod. Lots and lots of waterfalls, like this:

(One of god-knows-how-many waterfalls just by the side of the road - though I didn't actually use an ND filter for this one, I used the Composite mode to stack, from memory, 25 shots taken at 1/15; I kept switching between ND filters and composite mode depending on what I had remembered to take from the car).

Ok, so that is a huge range. But I think you can cover it off with the DA 15 Limited (magic lens, small, really good stopped down), the DA 55-300 (very portable telephoto, decent range, and good enough in good light) and a new DA 16-85 (weather resistant, which is all important in Iceland, great IQ, covers off the wide to mild-tele range really well). With all that you just have to hope for good photo weather.
09-15-2017, 02:20 AM   #28
Pentaxian

A spare battery is always good (if you can't charge it every night), likely you won't need one since you don't need your flash due to good light conditions 24 hrs a day outdoors!
The sun is not bright like in Florida or Africa but a hood is recommended, it gives additional protection.
It might rain so WR is preferred. To walk in rocky terrain with a heavy lens is a pain. Go prime.

Seb
09-15-2017, 04:42 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Strictly speaking there is no midnight sun on Iceland as it is south of the polar circle. There is a small island off northern Iceland that lies on the polar circle. I've lived in Iceland for two years.
What do you need a 10 stop ND filer for?
09-15-2017, 04:52 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GodsPetMonkey Quote
I spent 9 days in Iceland at the end of May and start of June this year - did the full loop around the island on Route 1, very nice place. My first piece of advice is don't just stay in the southwest. Sure, the Golden Circle has quite a bit in it, but if you head out you will get to see wonderful things that the stop-over-visitors don't and experience it without the crowds. Some of the best stuff I did involved being the only people there, and you wont get that in the southwest! Getting to Myvatn is totally worth it, not only is it stunning, but there is plenty to see on the way.

Those pictures are excellent, thanks.

My initial thought is that a week is probably not enough to do the ring road justice, but more than a week might be too much for 9-10 year old boys and the budget. So... I've been looking for cabins/cottages/houses to rent in the Akranes or Borgarnes area, or possibly somewhere out in the south. But the south is a little farther removed from some of the must-dos and Reykjavik, and the rentals seem a little more sparse.

With a base about an hour north of Reykjavik we can do easy trips to Þingvellir and the main Golden Circle stuff (you have to do it...), Snæfellsnes, Reykjavik, various fjords and villages, and not terribly far to the south coast. I think there will be opportunities for solitude in that area. We won't see the far north/east or Westfjords, but I'm kind of done with the type of trip I routinely did in my 20s (let's average 350 miles a day for two weeks and see the entire northwest and Canadian Rockies!). A more relaxed pace seems nicer than trying to rush around the ring road and stay in a different place every night.

Although the idea of getting to Grimsey and hitting the Arctic Circle for the first time in 20 years has a certain appeal... probably not...