Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
08-07-2017, 03:35 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Long term planning for a trip to Iceland

I started this earlier and accidentally deleted the whole post while amending it, so I’ll try again.

I've gotten my wife to give a thumbs up to make our 2018 family vacation a week in Iceland. Probably would be in June under the midnight sun. I’ve been there once, going on 17 years ago. But that was just for a three-day stopover in March. Back then my camera was a Canon film era Elph with whatever that film format was that allowed you to select different aspect ratios and even panoramas. That was long before marriage or kids (who are now 9 and 10).

Today I have the stuff in my signature line, a K-3II and various lenses. The K-30 is a backup body. I’m a huge fan of the DA15 limited; it was almost glued to my camera during a Yosemite/Tahoe trip last summer. I’m generally a fan of small primes; I went to Munich in the fall with just the 15 and the 40XS and loved it. Unfortunately I dropped the 40XS and it’s now decentered, unusable, and presumably unfixable.

On a trip to Iceland I’ll have to expect wildly varying weather and my only WR lens is the 18-55 kit lens. I’d like to replace that with something better. Let’s say my photography budget for the next year is something like $500.

My tentative plan is:
  • Replace the XS with the 40 Limited. I can get one used on the marketplace for $170.
  • Replace the kit lens with the 18-135. I have concerns about the corner softness. But it’s not expensive and it would become my general all-arounder for anytime the weather is dodgy. I’d step up to the primes when it’s nicer out.
  • Pick up a couple of 10 stop ND filters for the lenses I’d end up taking

I also would probably take the 55-300 (old, non WR version) for reach.

I’m open to other thoughts. I’m not opposed to renting lens(es) for the trip. I did that with the DA15 in Yosemite and fell madly for the lens and ended up buying a copy shortly afterwards. I’ve thought about the 20-40 Limited, and the 16-85. Both appear to have better IQ than the 18-135. Also, I’ve daydreamed about the 55-300 PLM WR, although that would bust my budget to buy.

Or… I could forget all that and go with only the Lomo Daguerreotype 64mm f/2.9 and have an absolutely surreal Iceland experience.

I know there are countless “what lens to I need” threads, even just about Iceland, but it was helpful just to get all my thoughts typed out here. But any suggestions would be appreciated. I have plenty of time to ponder.

08-07-2017, 03:46 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What's your budget?
08-07-2017, 03:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Sounds like a great plan!
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Or… I could forget all that and go with only the Lomo Daguerreotype 64mm f/2.9 and have an absolutely surreal Iceland experience.
But I would advise against this, unless you go to Iceland often and just want a really different experience.
15mm, 40mm sounds great, with a WR zoom for everything else. I often travel with 14mm, 35mm and 100mm, so really close to your plan. If anything I would say maybe get a 28mm, something in between 15 and 40. Pentax A 28mm f2.8 has nice FoV and its not too expensive. Might require a hood in bright sunlight

Edit: Oh, one more thing. Tripod, spare battery. These things might help you a lot in some situations. Even a small tripod or one of those bags that you place your camera upon. This lets you take super sharp shots with MLU, you can even try night and astrophoto. I would get these before the 28mm I mentioned above

Have a good trip
08-07-2017, 04:13 PM   #4
Pentaxian

For wider lenses I'd say go with the 16-85mm or if you want something with a faster/constant aperture lens go with either the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 or Pentax 17-70mm f/4.
For the long end, I'd say sell the 50-300mm lens & replace if with the 50-200mm WR lens, even though you end up losing the extra reach, you get the wr (bit of extra protection from the weather.)

You can find those lenses all in the used depatment at B&H.

08-07-2017, 05:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like an excellent trip plan! Regarding the ND filters, I'd recommend getting one 10 stop for your largest lens and a step-up ring to allow you to use it on a smaller lens. That will save some money and you could possibly get a weaker ND filter for those shots that aren't compatible with a 10-stop filter. You might also want think about likely future lens purchases too. Good ND filters are not cheap. I had a perfect set of filters for 77mm threads and then when I switched to the K-1 and full frame lenses I had to replace many with 82mm versions. But this only makes sense if you're pretty sure of your future lens sizes, which may not be the case. And I highly recommend a circular polarizer if you don't already have one. It can also be used as a weak ND filter.
08-07-2017, 06:17 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I have the 16-85. I presently use it on my K-3II. It covers a nice range and the image quality is excellent. If you plan on getting landscape shots, it is a very worthy tool. The 16 end comes in really handy along with the ability to zoom to 85.
08-07-2017, 06:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Although I can't really advise you re: equipment I can lend this, no matter what time of the year expect sudden and unpredictable weather changes and patterns. If Iceland is anything like Sweden the day may start off bright and clear, an hour later it's raining, then crystal clear again, then fog, then clear etc hahaha. Plan for that and you should have a great time. Use this old Norweigian saying as your mantra, "there is no such thing as the wrong weather, just the wrong clothes" that goes for both you and yer equipment

08-07-2017, 07:21 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Erikka Quote
Use this old Norweigian saying as your mantra, "there is no such thing as the wrong weather, just the wrong clothes" that goes for both you and yer equipment
Ha! So true. I was in Iceland in July 2013. The sun never came out the week we were there. When we asked a local which was the best month to visit, they replied, "July." I didn't mind the weather, however I had to borrow a raincoat and hat.

I think you'll likely use your DA15 most of the time (especially if you visit Gulfoss, or any of the other waterfalls). but a short tele might be nice, so your plan of taking a DA40 is a good one. I was travelling very light, and only had room for a single 50mm (equivalent) with me, and that was good enough for most things, however a wider lens (in the 20 to 24 equivalent range) would have been more useful.
08-07-2017, 07:58 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

I always recommend the 12-24 :-) Excellent IQ, wider than the 15, longer than the 21, and the bulk is mostly hood.
08-07-2017, 08:07 PM   #10
Unregistered User

I've been to Iceland six times, with both film and digital cameras. The DA15 was used a lot, as was a M28 f2.8 and a M100 f2.8. I brought DA16-50 once, then left it at home, it was too bulky. My last trip I only took a Q-7 and a Q-S1 with the Q 02, Q 03, and a Pentax 110 18, 24, and 50mm. I really enjoyed the freedom of traveling light, with both cameras on wrist straps. Most areas of Iceland are wide open, a zoom lens isn't as necessary if you are willing to walk (unless you are birding.). You won't see much night in July so you might not need a tripod unless you are doing some time exposures with a ND filter or plan on doing some stitching.

Looking at your list of equipment you already have, I'd be comfortable going with the DA 15, the DA 35 and the DA55-300. The manual lenses are cool, but you might not want to be fiddling so much while you're there. Don't worry about the weather, it changes all the time, just bring some ziplock bags. I've been in Iceland in October several times and the weather has been glorious, you never know.

If you are going to be outside for any length of time, wear several light layers of wool or micro-fleece with a windproof jacket, and get some thin gloves that will allow you to operate your camera. You won't want to take any pictures if you are cold and miserable; high temps in July are quite cool and it is often windy.
08-08-2017, 02:37 AM   #11

I visited Iceland earlier this year in April and had a mixed bag of weather in my 2 weeks there. Both my DA15 and 20-40 Ltd saw plenty of use and the WR on the 20-40 really helps in giving peace of mind while out hiking. I'd also like to add that a micro-fibre cloth is ABSOLUTELY essential, especially when shooting near the plentiful waterfalls, you don't wanna get back home and realise half your photos were spoilt because of water droplets on the lens. Enjoy the trip! It's a beautiful place.
08-08-2017, 03:51 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My impression of Iceland:
1) many waterfall with a lot of spray and mist, WR WA useful.
2) Many birds, if you're into that kind of photography, a second-hand Sigma 50~500mm or 150~500mm are the least expensive options,
3) Many quaint little villages, modest range zoom will do, but a 40mm will serve if you're willing to move in or back.
08-08-2017, 04:18 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
What's your budget?
Not strictly defined, but let's say $500. So don't suggest a K-1 or a 150-450 or a Leica or something.

---------- Post added 08-08-17 at 07:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Sounds like a great plan!

But I would advise against this, unless you go to Iceland often and just want a really different experience.
15mm, 40mm sounds great, with a WR zoom for everything else. I often travel with 14mm, 35mm and 100mm, so really close to your plan. If anything I would say maybe get a 28mm, something in between 15 and 40. Pentax A 28mm f2.8 has nice FoV and its not too expensive. Might require a hood in bright sunlight

Edit: Oh, one more thing. Tripod, spare battery. These things might help you a lot in some situations. Even a small tripod or one of those bags that you place your camera upon. This lets you take super sharp shots with MLU, you can even try night and astrophoto. I would get these before the 28mm I mentioned above

Have a good trip
I was kidding about the Lomo. Although if it was my 5th or 6th time to Iceland I might be tempted...

I have a Gorillapod SLR tripod I'll probably take. It served me well in Yosemite. Will stock up on batteries, but I have three.

Wouldn't have thought of the 28mm.

My main challenge now is dialing back planning for a trip that is still almost a year out. If I don't pull back the reins I'll blow many a day staring at lenses and locations online.
08-08-2017, 04:57 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

If you can push your budget by $49 you could get the 16-85 and fix and forget,perhaps take your DA15 as it takes up so little space.
Ten weeks travelling around Asia last year it was the only lens I took with me and I can honestly say I very rarely needed anything else(perhaps the very odd occasion the 55-300 would have been useful for wildlife)Lack of the need to swap lenses in indifferent weather conditions is a big bonus and your family may appreciate you having to spend less time faffing about and concentrate on the family holiday!
08-08-2017, 11:49 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I have a Gorillapod SLR tripod I'll probably take. It served me well in Yosemite. Will stock up on batteries, but I have three. Wouldn't have thought of the 28mm.
Great that should be plenty.
I have the old M 28mm and sometimes it comes in handy as something between 35/40mm and the UWA 14mm. These days the DA 21mm has replaced the 28mm, because it is so compact and has amazing contrasts (and full automation). The A 28mm is actually a newer design than the older M 28mm and should be better optically, plus it has auto aperture which is very handy. Doesn't cost much more than the M version, though. I am a wide shooter, so I like to have a nice lineup of wide to ultra wide primes. DA 21mm is amazing too. Its main downside is that it has some distortion and that its not exactly super affordable. It has rendering that is similar to the other DA limited lenses, with strong colours and contrasts

Last edited by Na Horuk; 08-08-2017 at 12:00 PM.