Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2017, 09:24 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Strictly speaking there is no midnight sun on Iceland as it is south of the polar circle.
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Although the idea of getting to Grimsey and hitting the Arctic Circle for the first time in 20 years has a certain appeal... probably not...
Easier to hit the polar circle in Scandinavia as Pål hinted. In any case, plenty of light even south of the circle. The circle itself is no big thing for me, crossed it several times during summer and winter. No daylight at all is more extreme...

Take your time and do not try to spend all day driving around. More time to take pics too.

Seb

11-17-2017, 02:12 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I rented the 16-85 for Thanksgiving week, to try it out in anticipation of next summer. Surprisingly it came today, three days early. So, yeah Lensrentals.com. I paid for a week but get 10 days!

11-28-2017, 06:16 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I took about 150 shots with the 16-85mm over Thanksgiving week, and I was pretty impressed (see the "DA 16-85 WR, show us what it can do" thread). Very sharp, nice rendering, not too big, clearly a step up in multiple ways from the kit 18-55. I think that will now be on the list to rent for the planned Iceland trip next summer.

Also, I found a used copy of the 40mm Limited at Borrowlenses.com for only $160, plus a 25% off coupon code, so $120 for a Pentax Limited. I hinted and winked at my wife that this would be an excellent Christmas present. It disappeared from the site, so hopefully that'll be under the tree. I loved my 40XS until I dropped it, this should be a great replacement. I'm a huge fan of a K-3II + lens that'll just about fit in a coat pocket.
11-30-2017, 11:57 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
On my first trip to Iceland I was only there for ~36 hours. I had my little Sony NEX 3, with the Sony 16mm 2.8, and a Hexanon 40mm 1.8. That worked pretty well, but there was a lot of switching back and forth between lenses. If I was going to do it again with those 2 lenses, I'd take 2 bodies.

On my second trip to Iceland I was there for almost 3 days. I took an Olympus XA and a bunch of Fuji 400 ISO film. I really liked those images as well, but they had a completely different look to them. I'm not talking about the film vs. digital difference. Working with such a constraining camera made me work harder for the shot, and on some level the images were better for it. I'll try to dig up some scans tomorrow. I guess my point is this - over the years there is a photography lesson I have to keep learning over and over again: Less is more, in that less gear tends to actually get me better photographs. This may not be true for you, and you are going for a longer period than me, so that may be a factor. Still, it is something to consider.

12-01-2017, 03:11 AM - 1 Like   #35
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

A Side Note

a few days ago, I watched the opening episode of the series " Vikings " on the history channel

Vikings Full Episodes, Video & More | HISTORY

the tie in with this thread is that they filmed part of this season in Iceland - the portion of Iceland they have shown so far was breathtakingly beautiful

of course, it was the Vikings who settled Iceland and were the first recorded Europeans to live in Greenland and North America

---------- Post added 12-01-17 at 04:17 ----------

I took about 150 shots with the 16-85mm over Thanksgiving week, and I was pretty impressed (see the "DA 16-85 WR, show us what it can do" thread). Very sharp, nice rendering, not too big, clearly a step up in multiple ways from the kit 18-55. I think that will now be on the list to rent for the planned Iceland trip next summer.

Also, I found a used copy of the 40mm Limited at Borrowlenses.com for only $160, plus a 25% off coupon code, so $120 for a Pentax Limited. I hinted and winked at my wife that this would be an excellent Christmas present. It disappeared from the site, so hopefully that'll be under the tree. I loved my 40XS until I dropped it, this should be a great replacement. I'm a huge fan of a K-3II + lens that'll just about fit in a coat pocket.
currently B & H has it listed ( with a note about limited quantities being available) at $529.95

Pentax HD PENTAX DA 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 ED DC WR Lens 21387 B&H

Price: $646.95
Holiday Savings: $117.00
Limited supply at this price

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-01-2017 at 03:27 AM.
12-01-2017, 06:41 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
I guess my point is this - over the years there is a photography lesson I have to keep learning over and over again: Less is more, in that less gear tends to actually get me better photographs. This may not be true for you, and you are going for a longer period than me, so that may be a factor. Still, it is something to consider.

I tend to agree. I was in Yosemite and around Lake Tahoe about 18 months ago, and probably 80+% of my pictures were with the 15mm Limited on the K-3II. I just didn't feel the need to swap lenses a lot, the 15mm is a wonderful lens, and you just work with what you have. I also was in Germany last November and went with a kit that was just the 15mm and the 40XS and I got some great shots.

But... a consideration for Iceland is the weather, and waterfall spray. I'll keep the kit small, but will probably have the 15mm and 40mm Limiteds for general use, plus renting the WR 16-85mm for when the weather is dodgy or I'm standing under a waterfall. And I'll probably have the 55-300mm in the bag, just in case I need reach.

---------- Post added 12-01-17 at 08:48 AM ----------

I know this is the lens forum, but forgive me a slight diversion... tripods. I have a nice Vanguard that I'm very happy with, but it's a monster. I also have a Gorillapod SLR, which is all I had with me on my Yosemite trip last year and it worked out okay. Question is... would I be better off in Iceland with a travel tripod? I really rather not spend $150, $200+ on a travel tripod, but I see the benefits of something between the 5 pound beast and the essentially tabletop Gorillapod. I almost just want to take the big Vanguard, but with today's airline policies I fear that might incur confiscatory baggage fees (slight exaggeration, but airlines like Wow seem very strict on baggage).

Would it be worthwhile to buy an inexpensive, small travel tripod I could throw in the checked bag, and just take care that it's not so flimsy it doesn't topple over?
12-01-2017, 07:44 AM - 2 Likes   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't overthink it.
Don't over-gear either.
You want to experience it as well as capture it.

01-12-2018, 05:30 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My planning has begun to morph into reality. In the last couple weeks we've booked an AirBnB house about 30 minutes north of Reykjavik, and tickets on WOW. Late June. We'll be there about eight days, right on the summer solstice.

Now that I don't have to obsessively track airfare and house availability I can move on to compulsively writing and re-writing itineraries and gear lists. I did get my 40 Limited for Christmas, so I have a great small walkaround lens. And I got a 10-stop ND filter for all those not-at-all stereotypical dreamy Icelandic waterfall shots.
01-12-2018, 09:29 AM   #39

Photos: Albums
Iceland is hands down one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. I didn't read back through the entire thread, but the tips I would give include make sure you have something very wide to take. Wider than 16mm if possible. Be prepared to stare mouth agape, a lot, and definitely read up on taking pics of the Aurora Borealis, Northern Lights in Iceland | When & Where to See the Aurora and astrophotography too. Below is a link to a google gallery of a few of my pics (and a few my wife took as well). Enjoy the trip, soon Iceland will be not as much fun because tourism is running rampant and that almost always has a deleterious effect over time.

Iceland 2015 - Google Photos
01-12-2018, 10:55 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Scottie137 Quote
Iceland is hands down one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. I didn't read back through the entire thread, but the tips I would give include make sure you have something very wide to take. Wider than 16mm if possible. Be prepared to stare mouth agape, a lot, and definitely read up on taking pics of the Aurora Borealis, Northern Lights in Iceland | When & Where to See the Aurora and astrophotography too. Below is a link to a google gallery of a few of my pics (and a few my wife took as well). Enjoy the trip, soon Iceland will be not as much fun because tourism is running rampant and that almost always has a deleterious effect over time.

Iceland 2015 - Google Photos

24/7 sunlight is going to put a little damper on the aurora. But I'll definitely take my 15mm Limited.
01-12-2018, 11:46 AM   #41

24/7 sunlight is going to put a little damper on the aurora. But I'll definitely take my 15mm Limited.

See that's what I get for not reading the whole thread first! In that case, definitely do some of the black sand beaches. I especially liked the beaches near Vik if you get out that way.
01-12-2018, 12:00 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Scottie137 Quote
See that's what I get for not reading the whole thread first! In that case, definitely do some of the black sand beaches. I especially liked the beaches near Vik if you get out that way.

No worries.

I think there's black sand all over the place. We may get out as far as Skogafoss or Vestmannaeyjar, but probably not Vik. That's just too far from our home base north of Reykjavik. We'll definitely have a day for an epic Snaefellsnes road trip, and there are some really good beaches there. I'm trying to remain flexible and we'll see how much driving the wife and kids are up for.
01-12-2018, 12:08 PM   #43

No worries.

I think there's black sand all over the place. We may get out as far as Skogafoss or Vestmannaeyjar, but probably not Vik. That's just too far from our home base north of Reykjavik. We'll definitely have a day for an epic Snaefellsnes road trip, and there are some really good beaches there. I'm trying to remain flexible and we'll see how much driving the wife and kids are up for.
Its true, some are more black rock than sand, but you can find it everywhere! Looking forward to seeing some pics!
04-25-2018, 04:55 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Long term planning has shifted to not-so-long-term planning, as we're less than two months out from the Iceland trip. I just took possession of a new Suiri T-025X travel tripod, and a plate with separate attachment point for my BlackRapid strap. Also have a good neutral density filter that fits my 40mm limited and 15mm Limited. 16-85mm reserved for the week of the trip from LensRentals.com. The photography side is good. Itinerary includes Vestmannaeyjar, Snæfellsnes Peninsula, Golden Circle, the Suzuki Midnight Sun Run, and hanging out in Reykjavik one of the days that the Icelandic football team has a World Cup match. Have a cool looking AirBnB reserved. A Romanian-built, manual transmission, diesel SUV reserved. I'm ready to go.