Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2017, 10:43 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
The 16-50 is a fine lens. Get one that has been converted to screwdrive (or do it yourself) and don't worry about SDM failure ever.
QuoteOriginally posted by Gondo Quote
A few questions. Is the reliability of DA* lenses still an issue in 2017? Can I get away with a sigma in rain, snow, etc... without a bag or any sort of protection? Would a prime be weatherproofed or is rain still an issue even with a prime? I've never owned a prime so I'm not sure if it's worth it over the zoom as a walkaround lense. But the F1.4 intrigues me for the astro sky shots.

Any suggestions.
I second the motion from ChatMerchant. It seems the 16-50 would serve most of your needs best. I have the 16-50 and it is an excellent lens. I just recently had an issue that was not SDM, I believe, and that issue was that the zoom froze. This could probably could happen to any zoom, however. As other suggest, if the SDM fails, just do a hack override - people report great success with that. Good luck with your decision - quite a few good alternatives.

08-09-2017, 10:57 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't overlook the DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 Limited, It's an outstanding lens.
08-09-2017, 10:57 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
The point of DSLRs is to have many lenses, each one for the specific situation you need. . . .

and here I thought the point of having a DSLR ( and the SLR in the past ) is:

1 to have multiple lenses and be confused over which to use when and/or

2 to build muscles as you haul all of your lenses and/or

3 to start arguments over which one of many to own, use, or buy and/or

4 to start an argument whether to go prime or zoom

guess I was wrong
08-09-2017, 11:04 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Get a wide prime for astro, keep the 18-135 for general purpose, and a DA50 for portraits.

08-09-2017, 11:07 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, you've got some suggestions for replacements for your 18-135. I'd look to expand, not replace.

A 30mm prime is nice. That's pretty close to a "normal" view on ASPC. I have a Sigma 28mm f1.8 which is quite nice, though quite large.

I'd investigate the pancakes. Yeah, that's what I tell everyone. You'll like them. The DA40 is a bit tight for indoors, though it's inexpensive. The DA 21 is a gem, with fairly wide FOV and great optics. They're not weather resistant, but you have one WR lens already.
08-09-2017, 11:30 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bought the DA*16-50 for astrophoto and general photo. It's basically always on my K-5. It dates back from 2012 and SDM is showing signs of failure on my K-50 but not (yet) on my K-5. It is a great lens but its performance at 16 mm f/2.8 was not so good so I also bought a Samyang 16 mm F2.0. In winter I can be 5-6 hours outside shooting stars at -10°C or 1 hour at -20°C. I always put 2 hot shots on the lens to prevent dew on the front element. The 16-50 can get covered in frost no problem but I never let that happen to the Samyang.
08-09-2017, 01:00 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I also vote for the DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 in your case, since you need f/2.8 and a wider angle-to-portrait zoom lens for times when you need these advantages. You also get another WR lens of top build quality. And, as others have said, if you run into SDM failure, just get it converted to screw-drive operation. Of course, also keep your DA 18-135mm as it is a very good lens with fast, quiet, accurate AF, very compact, and has a very versatile range. I would not part with mine, even though I have number of fast zooms and primes.

08-09-2017, 01:12 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Yes, you've got some suggestions for replacements for your 18-135. I'd look to expand, not replace.

A 30mm prime is nice. That's pretty close to a "normal" view on ASPC. I have a Sigma 28mm f1.8 which is quite nice, though quite large.
Would you recommend the Sigma 28 F1.8 over the Pentax F/FA 28mm F2.8? I thought the contrast was better with the Pentax lenses. Obviously, you do get an additional stop
of light with the Sigma.
08-09-2017, 01:21 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eminker Quote
Would you recommend the Sigma 28 F1.8 over the Pentax F/FA 28mm F2.8? I thought the contrast was better with the Pentax lenses. Obviously, you do get an additional stop
of light with the Sigma.
I got the Sigma 28 as a close macro. I'd compare it with the FA 35mm Macro, not the FA28mm. If you want more of a general use, get the FA.

Contrast - that's an interesting thought. I don't use it much outdoors and in high contrast situations. I think I'll do some this weekend in the garden etc, see how it rolls. This means the weekend will be overcast and damp...

The 21mm is wonderful for contrast. I was honestly surprised when comparing similar images with the zoom. Plus, it performs really well wide-open indoors. As a bonus you get occasional looks from people. Now I can pull the 40mm out of my pocket and show them that, too!
08-09-2017, 01:43 PM   #25

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for their suggestions.

My 18-135mm has lense creep. As I'm walking around the lense extends a lot. Also the high F value makes it difficult to shoot in dim locations such as under canopy in the woods on a trail. Night photography is tricky even with a tripod. I need to up the ISO and lower the shutter speeds. I have the camera, I'd like to up my game in the glass department.

I'd don't do any portrait work. Mostly just landscapes and city, etc... Imagine shots a tourist would take visiting around. So my main concerns are the following:

A very low F value on a wide-normal zoom
Something in the telephoto range...250mm-450mm.

The 80-130mm range isn't something I use much. I only use it as telephoto since it's all I have now, but would prefer 200mm+. So I want both ends of the spectrum with not much in between.

Budget is an issue. I cannot afford both or multiple lenses right away. And I can't afford to keep replacing lenses. I want something that will last me into the future. I doubt I'd ever spring for a full frame camera...maybe someday but not anytime soon. I'm just a hobbyist, nothing serious. But I have no problems spending over $1000 to get that one right lense for me right away and be over with it.

The DA* 16-50mm is intriguing if the SDM failure has been resolved. All complaints I've seen are from many years ago. And new lenses state they have the new SDM mechanism. It's weather resistant, in the focal range I'm looking for, and F2.8 is all I can expect from a zoom unless I go with the Sigma which is a rare beast. I'd rather have one lense and be able to walk around. And the price is right up my ally.

On the telephoto end I like the look of the DA* 60-250mm as a general walkaround telephoto but if I'm going to go big I might as well get the FA 150-450mm. The DA* is cheaper but add the expensive teleconverter from Pentax and it becomes the same price as the FA.

After those 2 if I really desire a serious astro lense I'd spring for a 14mm prime as suggested.
08-09-2017, 02:11 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On the telephoto end I like the look of the DA* 60-250mm as a general walkaround telephoto but if I'm going to go big I might as well get the FA 150-450mm.
Keep in mind that if you go with the DFA 150-450 you always have 150-450. But if you go with the DA*60-250 you have both a relatively light 60-250 and a 84-350 that doesn't weigh much more. The 150-450 is a beast and not something I can just walk around with. It's a fine lens and I'm glad I have it but I only take it when I know I am going to use it. The 60-250 is always in my bag. Just a thought.
08-09-2017, 02:35 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm still wondering why the 16-50 is being suggested if the Tamron 17-50 is still available new. This is a serious question.
08-09-2017, 02:38 PM   #28

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help guys. I checked out the Samyang/Rokinon stuff and they have a 24mm F1.4 which would be awesome for the astrophotography. It would also make a great landscape lense if required. Price is definitely great in the $500 range. Weatherproofing is not a deal breaker with this one as for astro it would be a clear night.

For the telephoto/walkaround the DA* 60-250mm would definitely be an upgrade from my 18-135mm kit lense. Not crazy heavy like the 450mm FA lense, constant F4 so good for daytime shots, and better quality than the DA kit lense I have. The 250mm would also be a good upgrade from my current 135mm. And using it as a walkaround if I want to take a portrait/street photo I can dial it back to 60mm. If only an F2.8 version was available.

I don't do much indoor work so the 16-50mm isn't really required. The 24mm prime at F1.4 would be way better suited for my astro and night city/landscapes on clear nights. I still have the 18-135mm if I need the wide angle stuff with weather resistance.
08-09-2017, 03:40 PM   #29

Original Poster
I talked to the wife. Here's what we decided. The Samyang or Rokinon 24mm F1.4. That thing is amazing for astro shots and landscapes.

For the telephoto she wants really zoomed in. So the DA* 300mm with a future teleconverter works, is not too heavy, fits in a bag, etc... and isn't $5000.

For the in between as a general walk around our 18-135mm kit lense works in the meantime. This would cover the entire range of what we want. In the future if I wish to upgrade the kit lense I'll just get some sort of 18-70mm or whatever in an F2.8 to increase performance and quality. But I'm in no hurry to do that now.

We decided to start with the 24mm F1.4 and try some nice city scapes and night shots.

Thanks for the help guys. You've helped me to choose exactly what I want wish is not even what I originally was looking at. And I've been convinced of keeping the kit lense for now and adding 2 primes to cover what I am missing.
08-09-2017, 04:06 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I talked to the wife. Here's what we decided. The Samyang or Rokinon 24mm F1.4. That thing is amazing for astro shots and landscapes.

For the telephoto she wants really zoomed in. So the DA* 300mm with a future teleconverter works, is not too heavy, fits in a bag, etc... and isn't $5000.

For the in between as a general walk around our 18-135mm kit lense works in the meantime. This would cover the entire range of what we want. In the future if I wish to upgrade the kit lense I'll just get some sort of 18-70mm or whatever in an F2.8 to increase performance and quality. But I'm in no hurry to do that now.

We decided to start with the 24mm F1.4 and try some nice city scapes and night shots.

Thanks for the help guys. You've helped me to choose exactly what I want wish is not even what I originally was looking at. And I've been convinced of keeping the kit lense for now and adding 2 primes to cover what I am missing.

A win for the forums!!! I am happy you found what you needed. It wouldn't be Pentax Forums if we all didn't get excited to talk lenses.

Be sure to post some photos you make with your new lenses!!!