Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
08-09-2017, 02:26 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wide angle Lens for K-1 (ie FF) that takes 52mm ND Filters

I think I have pretty much summed up the subject matter for this post in the title, basically I have paid in the region of $200AUD for two ND filters that fit a 52mm thread, they work great on my DA 50mm 1.8 and 100mm 2.8 Macro DFA, now I am looking for a full frame wide angle lens to fit onto the K-1 where I can still use the filters. I have two old primes that are 28mm (a Sigma and Tokina) and they also take 52mm filters, but I wouldn't mind upgrading to something more expensive ($500 or thereabouts) for a wider lens (21mm etc) that can still be a 52mm thread.
I actually own a DA limited HD 21mm 3.2 that can also take those ND filters, but I'm not loving the results of that lens on the K-1 and need to sell it (and its not full frame so I'm not getting 21mm with it anyway).

The purpose for this lens is purely landscape, AF is not necessary, third party choices are welcome. Does such a lens exist or am I eventually going to have to sell my ND filters or factor in a new set just for a landscape lens...?

Cheers,

Bruce

08-09-2017, 02:31 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are a few vintage options as far as Pentax lenses go, unfortunately nothing modern as 52mm is not a popular diameter on Pentax primes.

<= 40mm Lenses | PentaxForums.com

Both of the 24mm options get pretty consistent reviews. The K 28mm F2 is far more expensive, I'm not sure if it's because of the rarity and optical design history or if it legitimately is that much better optically (despite being narrower). I think it's one of the new K lenses I've never tried.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-09-2017, 03:10 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
For anyhing wider than 28mm (<24mm) with a 52mm filter thread you're pretty much limited to the older K-, M-, and A-series of lenses. For any newer lenses (e.g. Samyang/rebrands, Mitakon, etc.), are going to be in the 77mm or so range.
08-09-2017, 03:11 PM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I am looking for a full frame wide angle lens to fit onto the K-1 where I can still use the filters. I have two old primes that are 28mm (a Sigma and Tokina) and they also take 52mm filters, but I wouldn't mind upgrading to something more expensive ($500 or thereabouts) for a wider lens (21mm etc) that can still be a 52mm thread.
Let me get this straight. You are wanting a K-mount prime in the $500 range at shorter than 24mm having a 52mm or narrower filter size so you can use your ND filters. Ok...

Pentax-A 24/2.8 or Pentax-K 24/2.8
Pentax-M 20/4
Voigtländer 20/3.5 Color Skopar SLII

Steve

(...trying to figure out why my fingers are better at finding out these things than B. Banner's...oh...because I am dumb enough to do it...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-09-2017 at 03:21 PM.
08-09-2017, 04:19 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There are a few vintage options as far as Pentax lenses go, unfortunately nothing modern as 52mm is not a popular diameter on Pentax primes.

<= 40mm Lenses | PentaxForums.com

Both of the 24mm options get pretty consistent reviews. The K 28mm F2 is far more expensive, I'm not sure if it's because of the rarity and optical design history or if it legitimately is that much better optically (despite being narrower). I think it's one of the new K lenses I've never tried.
Oh! I never knew that resource existed, how fabby
Cheers for assisting in narrowing down the choices, I have found an aussie ebay seller with one of those lenses

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
For anyhing wider than 28mm (<24mm) with a 52mm filter thread you're pretty much limited to the older K-, M-, and A-series of lenses. For any newer lenses (e.g. Samyang/rebrands, Mitakon, etc.), are going to be in the 77mm or so range.
Good to know, thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Let me get this straight. You are wanting a K-mount prime in the $500 range at shorter than 24mm having a 52mm or narrower filter size so you can use your ND filters. Ok...

Pentax-A 24/2.8 or Pentax-K 24/2.8
Pentax-M 20/4
Voigtländer 20/3.5 Color Skopar SLII

Steve

(...trying to figure out why my fingers are better at finding out these things than B. Banner's...oh...because I am dumb enough to do it...)
lol, I didn't know about that resource, I swear! Thanks very much for your fingering
The Pentax-M 20/4 and Voigtlander 20/3.5 I will have to research more! Thanks once again!

BB.
08-09-2017, 05:21 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hey... is this a good or clever alternative? I found a seller with a used SMC Pentax DA 15mm ($375AUD), it's obviously intended for a ASP-C sensor, but on my K-1 I would still (in crop mode) get around 23mm. This then also brings the convenience of having AF compared to the older film era lens suggestions. Thread size is 49mm so that works for me.

So there's that or a SMC Pentax-A 24mm F2.8 going for $225AUD that are looking tempting.

Thoughts?
08-09-2017, 05:47 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Depends on whether you're happy with 16mp images in crop mode vs 36 mp images in FF mode.

08-09-2017, 06:08 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

a full frame wide angle lens to fit onto the K-1 where I can still use the filters.
Pentax-A 24mm f/2.8 works nicely on my K-1. It is amazingly tiny and has 52mm filter threads.
08-09-2017, 06:26 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Pentax-A 24mm f/2.8 works nicely on my K-1. It is amazingly tiny and has 52mm filter threads.
Oh nice, got any sample images? Any existing uploads of yours somewhere for view by chance?
08-09-2017, 06:50 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh nice, got any sample images? Any existing uploads of yours somewhere for view by chance?
I'm not jatrax but here's a sample of my K24 24mm which supposedly has the same optics:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/130-lens-sample-photo-archiv...rocks-1975.jpg
08-09-2017, 10:25 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
M 20 f/4 takes 49 mm. I easily use alu conversion rings for round filters, they're inexpensive. in this you have to use just one 52 -49 and if it's a slim type you don't have to worry about vignetting. My copy of the 20 is a gem, but I haven't tested on FF.
08-09-2017, 11:46 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well... after a short amount of research and shopping around I am (already) the proud new owner of SMC Pentax-A 24mm F2.8, purchased from within Australia for $220AUD, which was a major contributing factor (wasn't so keen on grabbing one from further away). Keen to see how it performs on my K-1
08-10-2017, 12:07 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have paid in the region of $200AUD for two ND filters that fit a 52mm thread, they work great on my DA 50mm 1.8 and 100mm 2.8 Macro DFA, now I am looking for a full frame wide angle lens to fit onto the K-1 where I can still use the filters.
I'm in similar situation but my filters are 82mm. Also have a set of Cokin Pro series that are too narrow to fit the wide angles lenses. Lesson learned: take my losses and buy a high quality square filter system, larger than the largest lens front and be done with it. Filter are like tripods, the kind of accessory that last longer that cameras and independent from the mount, they are long term investments. Trying to adapt the lens to filters is the wrong way, usually, it makes more sense to adapt the filters to the lenses we own.
08-10-2017, 01:02 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I'm in similar situation but my filters are 82mm. Also have a set of Cokin Pro series that are too narrow to fit the wide angles lenses. Lesson learned: take my losses and buy a high quality square filter system, larger than the largest lens front and be done with it. Filter are like tripods, the kind of accessory that last longer that cameras and independent from the mount, they are long term investments. Trying to adapt the lens to filters is the wrong way, usually, it makes more sense to adapt the filters to the lenses we own.
Yeh, pretty sensible conclusion. I think long term I'll be going down this route, but for now I 'should be' content with a lot of my future photography work, I'll have a 24mm, 50mm and 100mm primes with ND filters compatible on all 3 of those, so I'm seeing this as $200 spent to tie me over a few years.
08-10-2017, 03:20 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All of the M series up to short telephoto are 49mm filter threads so a cheap 49-52mm ring adapter would allow any of these to use 52mm filters. The M 28/3.5 I consider to be a good wide angle lens. And cheap too. The M20/4 is much dearer and, based on my copy, is not that sharp at infinity. It seems sharpest out to mid range. So good for some things but not ideal for landscapes in my view. Fine for sunsets etc where there is not a lot of detail as it does great colours but less suited for fine detail like distant landscapes. Other copies might be better but it is a scarce lens and pricy for what it is so I haven't been inclined to seek out a second copy.