Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
08-10-2017, 08:45 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
ND filters for wide angle lenses

I honestly believe this is the first time I have heard of shopping for a lens based upon the diameter of neutral density filters currently owned. Nothing at all wrong with doing so, just my first to hear of it.

My suggestion does not involve using the existing ND filters, but includes $50 extra to cover the cost of new ND filters to fit the lens. I am referring to the Kino Precision (Kiron) 28mm f 2.0, MF (f 2 - f16), 55mm thread. Total cost around $250, and a lens I like a lot.

08-10-2017, 11:00 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I honestly believe this is the first time I have heard of shopping for a lens based upon the diameter of neutral density filters currently owned.
I don't think I have ever shopped based on that. But lately I have been sorting through my kit and thinking about consolidating so that my existing filters cover my existing lenses. So far it has not worked out well and I have not found anything I'm willing to sell on
08-10-2017, 02:36 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I honestly believe this is the first time I have heard of shopping for a lens based upon the diameter of neutral density filters currently owned. Nothing at all wrong with doing so, just my first to hear of it.

My suggestion does not involve using the existing ND filters, but includes $50 extra to cover the cost of new ND filters to fit the lens. I am referring to the Kino Precision (Kiron) 28mm f 2.0, MF (f 2 - f16), 55mm thread. Total cost around $250, and a lens I like a lot.
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I don't think I have ever shopped based on that. But lately I have been sorting through my kit and thinking about consolidating so that my existing filters cover my existing lenses. So far it has not worked out well and I have not found anything I'm willing to sell on
Yeh, initially it wasn't that i was actively committed to buying a wide angle lens to use the preexisting ND filters I own that already work with my 50mm and 100mm, it was more of a 'does such a thing exist', because as you see my ND filters were not cheap, they cost together more than $150AUD! That's more than I paid for the DA 50mm 1.8! The fact that I managed to get a well recommended 24mm F2.8 that works with my existing filters just helps reduce the overall cost. I now own a 24mm, 28mm, 50mm and 100mm that all take the 52mm ND filters, it cuts down on having to think, buy and carry more filters in the future also, I think it's not a bad approach to consider thread sizes.

In future I may sell a lot of these primes and just grab a 24-70mm and then new filters for that lens and be done with lens swapping... we'll see. Or it might be when looking for a 200 or 300mm I will take into account thread sizes for those lens I'm keen on and see if there is a 10-20mm lens that is also of similar thread size.

@ivanvernon, thanks for the Kiron 28mm f2 recommendation. I already own a 28mm (tho it's f2.8), I kinda wanted even wider (the aforementioned 20mm voightlander was interesting but proved hard for me to find), however I'm not sure what kinda ND filters you can get for $50! Maybe it's just an Australian price hike thing we have to pay over here, filters ain't cheap. I'd prolly be still shopping around if it wasn't by chance to see a fellow aussie seller selling the Pentax-A 24mm F2.8 yesterday.
08-10-2017, 02:43 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I now own a 24mm, 28mm, 50mm and 100mm that all take the 52mm ND filters, it cuts down on having to think, buy and carry more filters in the future also, I think it's not a bad approach to consider thread sizes.
I think it is a very smart approach. If I could just stick with one filter size I would be very happy.

08-10-2017, 03:47 PM   #20

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bm75 Quote
M 20 f/4 takes 49 mm. I easily use alu conversion rings for round filters, they're inexpensive. in this you have to use just one 52 -49 and if it's a slim type you don't have to worry about vignetting. My copy of the 20 is a gem, but I haven't tested on FF.
Hi, I do have the same - for about a month only : Pentax M 20/4 with 49mm thread, on K-1. And yes, if I step up to 52 mm, it vignettes a bit. BUT, 49-77mm Step-up ring to cokin holder for square filter does not vignette at all, and is not that big either. And it looks pretty nice too !
08-10-2017, 04:00 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 24mm Sigma Super-Wide II AF has AF (it's even in the name of the lens!) and uses 52mm threaded filters.

This is honestly a lens that I wish Pentax would clone, so to speak, today. They're small and it's an awesome focal length for both crop as a walk-around prime and on full frame it's a pretty wide angle. Some might even call it... super wide.
08-10-2017, 06:26 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Yeh, initially it wasn't that i was actively committed to buying a wide angle lens to use the preexisting ND filters I own that already work with my 50mm and 100mm, it was more of a 'does such a thing exist', because as you see my ND filters were not cheap, they cost together more than $150AUD! That's more than I paid for the DA 50mm 1.8! The fact that I managed to get a well recommended 24mm F2.8 that works with my existing filters just helps reduce the overall cost. I now own a 24mm, 28mm, 50mm and 100mm that all take the 52mm ND filters, it cuts down on having to think, buy and carry more filters in the future also, I think it's not a bad approach to consider thread sizes.

In future I may sell a lot of these primes and just grab a 24-70mm and then new filters for that lens and be done with lens swapping... we'll see. Or it might be when looking for a 200 or 300mm I will take into account thread sizes for those lens I'm keen on and see if there is a 10-20mm lens that is also of similar thread size.

@ivanvernon, thanks for the Kiron 28mm f2 recommendation. I already own a 28mm (tho it's f2.8), I kinda wanted even wider (the aforementioned 20mm voightlander was interesting but proved hard for me to find), however I'm not sure what kinda ND filters you can get for $50! Maybe it's just an Australian price hike thing we have to pay over here, filters ain't cheap. I'd prolly be still shopping around if it wasn't by chance to see a fellow aussie seller selling the Pentax-A 24mm F2.8 yesterday.
Makes perfect sense. I had no idea how expensive the prices are for good brand ND filters, I guess because I have never had occasion to use them.

08-10-2017, 07:16 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just priced a couple ND filters on Amazon. I want one that's a one stop and then a three stop so I can have some add/remove versatility. I'm getting 62mm filters so I can mount them on my 18-135, and then a 49-62mm step-up ring so I can install them on my DA15 or other lenses that use that size. In any case, I think there's about $50 in both filters and a ring. One is a Hoya, the other is a B+W. Shop around and you might be able to find a good deal. That said, I'm in the USA, which seems to get pricing advantage over most other parts of the world on this kind of thing, so grain of salt with this.
08-10-2017, 08:09 PM   #24
dbs
Pentaxian

Hi Pres 589
The prices are better in the US but the postage to AUS is expensive , the said filters would cost as much again in postage .
I have bought some lenses before and the postage was $85 aus the return post would have been $26 aus for the same package.

Dave
08-11-2017, 01:03 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
The 24mm Sigma Super-Wide II AF has AF (it's even in the name of the lens!) and uses 52mm threaded filters.

This is honestly a lens that I wish Pentax would clone, so to speak, today. They're small and it's an awesome focal length for both crop as a walk-around prime and on full frame it's a pretty wide angle. Some might even call it... super wide.
Oh! I have the Sigma Super Wide 1, I think its 28mm, and I actually prefer the Tokina 28mm I have as it's an A series (meaning I can control aperture from within the body of the camera). Didn't know about the Super Wide 2 being AF and 24mm, def on the watch list! I wonder if it's pricey?

Makes perfect sense. I had no idea how expensive the prices are for good brand ND filters, I guess because I have never had occasion to use them.
Well my logic was to not skimp on ND filters, when you spend $2.3k on the K-1 and $700 on a DFA 100mm, I didn't want to ruin the process with a filter that might have saved me $50 but damaged the whole set up in terms of IQ. YMMV, it wasn't a risk I was willing to take.

I just priced a couple ND filters on Amazon. I want one that's a one stop and then a three stop so I can have some add/remove versatility. I'm getting 62mm filters so I can mount them on my 18-135, and then a 49-62mm step-up ring so I can install them on my DA15 or other lenses that use that size. In any case, I think there's about $50 in both filters and a ring. One is a Hoya, the other is a B+W. Shop around and you might be able to find a good deal. That said, I'm in the USA, which seems to get pricing advantage over most other parts of the world on this kind of thing, so grain of salt with this.
I don't mind supporting local Aussie retail stores, the dollar prices are higher in oz for sure, but then I'm thinking our economy and basic wage is higher, so really I don't compare too much between countries. The only exception is the UK, I grew up there and lived the majority of my life there, it's a complete rip off, a product might be $200USD and in the UK its 200quid, difference is minimum wage (at the time) was 4quid an hour vs US minimum wage $12/hr etc. The brits get the bad end of the stick for sure.

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Pres 589
The prices are better in the US but the postage to AUS is expensive , the said filters would cost as much again in postage .
I have bought some lenses before and the postage was $85 aus the return post would have been $26 aus for the same package.

Dave
I tend to buy abroad when the circumstances deem it, we can import up to $1kAUD before taxes start to kick in (vs the UK 30quid limit!).
08-11-2017, 03:12 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 28mm Sigma from that era is the Mini-Wide. I don't think it's considered to be a very exceptional lens, but it's not abysmal (I own some abysmal 28mm primes, just not this one) The first Super-Wide was 24mm and manual focus, the second was AF and usually came with their then-current Zen coating that appears to turn greasy and weird. I still kind of want one, but a DA21 probably makes more sense.
08-11-2017, 04:21 AM - 2 Likes   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

ND filters and old stuff in general

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote

Sorting through old stuff can be quite counter-productive. I did it one time, thinking to find a boxful that I could list here on the Forum or maybe on eBay. The problem is that I found some good stuff I had forgotten about, and some of it incomplete sets, so I found myself shopping to buy items necessary to fill out the incomplete sets.
08-11-2017, 08:50 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorting through old stuff can be quite counter-productive. I did it one time, thinking to find a boxful that I could list here on the Forum or maybe on eBay. The problem is that I found some good stuff I had forgotten about, and some of it incomplete sets, so I found myself shopping to buy items necessary to fill out the incomplete sets.
ROFL. Yes, my issue exactly. When I was done I had a list of filters and lenses I should buy instead of a list I should sell. I'm starting to feel like a dragon guarding it's hoard.
08-11-2017, 09:07 AM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hold up. Jean P. just posted yesterday that the DA 18-55 works on full frame from 24mm on? Just get a kit zoom!
08-13-2017, 10:36 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
the DA 18-55 works on full frame from 24mm on
Yes,that is correct...and the DA 16-45 starts working around 22 if I remember correctly...its a constant F4 too.

Both work in 1:1 crop from the wide ends.

---------- Post added 08-14-17 at 05:10 PM ----------

It was the first lens I put on my K-1,as far as being SUPERwide,its wide enough....anything wider isn't necessary(for what I do)....I'm soon to buy the DFA 28-105,WHEN stock comes back to ORstralia but the Sigma is a great little lens that will always keep the K-1 company!