Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2017, 09:29 AM   #16
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

We've had good and bad stories about Precision here on the forums - some better, recently, but it does seem like the service still isn't what it could be.

I see no reason why your 55-300 wouldn't be repaired, so it does seem a little premature to go for a different lens without waiting to see what happens. That aside, congratulations on the Sigma - I'm sure you'll enjoy it

Sorry to hear you're out of the Pentax game, and I hope you find a brand that gives you any better service. Pentax is a niche brand in the UK too, but I've been happy with the service I've had from Ricoh, their main dealers and third-party service resources.

08-18-2017, 10:25 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
We've had good and bad stories about Precision here on the forums - some better, recently, but it does seem like the service still isn't what it could be.

I see no reason why your 55-300 wouldn't be repaired, so it does seem a little premature to go for a different lens without waiting to see what happens. That aside, congratulations on the Sigma - I'm sure you'll enjoy it

Sorry to hear you're out of the Pentax game, and I hope you find a brand that gives you any better service. Pentax is a niche brand in the UK too, but I've been happy with the service I've had from Ricoh, their main dealers and third-party service resources.
I should have been a bit more clear - I use all brands, and Pentax has always been my go-to for affordable weather-resistance. I still have a K-S1 and the K-70, and several lenses, and I won't be throwing them away. But when it comes time to replace, it won't be a Pentax. I'd rather get a "disposable" DSLR that sells for under five hundred dollars (like Nikon's D3400) and try and keep it dry or put some sort of camera rain gear on it. I'd rather have a less well-spec'd camera than have to deal with indifferent corporate attitudes. Just my response to their peccadillo, really.

It might just be that when I send the 55-300 in for service that all goes well, and it gets repaired under warranty fairly quick and efficiently. Still, the fact that an almost unused lens has had a failure doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that it will stay healthy. At least with Sigma there's a 3 year USA warranty - though I'd almost expect them to replace a $200 lens versus repair it.
08-18-2017, 10:42 AM   #18
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
I should have been a bit more clear - I use all brands, and Pentax has always been my go-to for affordable weather-resistance. I still have a K-S1 and the K-70, and several lenses, and I won't be throwing them away. But when it comes time to replace, it won't be a Pentax. I'd rather get a "disposable" DSLR that sells for under five hundred dollars (like Nikon's D3400) and try and keep it dry or put some sort of camera rain gear on it.
I'm glad you won't be leaving us just yet

When it comes time to replace, for that kind of money you can pick up a great used Pentax body and still use those lenses you already have. But, if you've truly gone off the brand because of the service you've received on this one lens, maybe a different make would sit better with you; if you enjoy your photography more as a result, then it's a good thing. But, please don't "throw the baby out with the bath water", so to speak... There are horror stories around all of the brands, as I'm sure you know. The grass isn't necessarily greener on the other side of the fence. I had a dreadful time with Nikon a few years ago when my D40 developed a huge number of stuck pixels overnight, about a fortnight after the warranty expired.

For some balance on the matter, just read the most recent reviews on Nikon support here: https://www.consumeraffairs.com/cameras/nikon.html

I didn't post that to rain on Nikon's parade, but rather to show that no brand gets it completely right. In addition to Pentax, I shoot Sony - and I've read of some awful experiences with them. The other brands are no different - there are good and bad experiences in all cases. Ricoh / Pentax is by no means unusual in terms of product reliability (which I'd say is generally very good) nor its customer service imperfections. I'm not defending Ricoh, here... I do think they need to improve their service network significantly. But, I like their cameras and lenses, and that's more important to me than any specific issues I might have with their service.

It might just be that when I send the 55-300 in for service that all goes well, and it gets repaired under warranty fairly quick and efficiently. Still, the fact that an almost unused lens has had a failure doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that it will stay healthy. At least with Sigma there's a 3 year USA warranty - though I'd almost expect them to replace a $200 lens versus repair it.
These things can and do happen with any new lens (any new product, for that matter) from any manufacturer. I mentioned to you the trouble I've had with several Tamrons, but I've gone through the necessary hassle and delays of sending them for service, and now they're fantastic. It was worth the trouble, and even though I doubt the stringency of Tamron's quality control, it hasn't stopped me from enjoying those lenses.

It's perfectly understandable, when something goes wrong with a product you've paid good money for, to get a downer on that product or manufacturer - especially if you don't receive the level of service you expect. I've felt that way too before now... but these days I try to just take it in my stride (it gets easier after a while ). If something's faulty, it'll get fixed one way or another. And if it becomes faulty again, I'll get it fixed again. Frustrating, for sure, but not a big problem in the grand scheme of things. It's very liberating, if you can find it in yourself to take that approach.

Enjoy the Sigma!

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-18-2017 at 03:11 PM.
08-19-2017, 07:10 PM - 3 Likes   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sigma is nicely sharp - just don't get it wet!

Last edited by Wolfeye; 07-17-2018 at 08:05 PM.
09-06-2017, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, as the Sigma survived a wet dog shake, my 55-300 is at Precision camera. They received it yesterday. It's already in their system, so that much is good.

One thing I note: none of their testimonials are for Pentax. Mostly Sony.

Last edited by Wolfeye; 09-06-2017 at 10:23 AM.
09-13-2017, 01:50 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Heard from Precision today, a week after they received the lens:

I am contacting you regarding the repair of your Pentax 55-300/4-5.8 HD DA ED WR.

Your Pentax lens repair requires special parts and tooling, and the repair will need to be completed by the Ricoh-Pentax factory overseas. Average turn time is 3-5 weeks, however we are working with Ricoh-Pentax to expedite the repairs for the you as soon as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, Precision Camera will ensure the repair is completed and returned to you as quickly as possible.

I think I read somewhere here that these PLM lenses aren't repairable by Precision, hence the trip to Japan or wherever they have the tools.
09-13-2017, 01:59 PM   #22
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Heard from Precision today, a week after they received the lens:

I am contacting you regarding the repair of your Pentax 55-300/4-5.8 HD DA ED WR.

Your Pentax lens repair requires special parts and tooling, and the repair will need to be completed by the Ricoh-Pentax factory overseas. Average turn time is 3-5 weeks, however we are working with Ricoh-Pentax to expedite the repairs for the you as soon as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, Precision Camera will ensure the repair is completed and returned to you as quickly as possible.

I think I read somewhere here that these PLM lenses aren't repairable by Precision, hence the trip to Japan or wherever they have the tools.
Whilst it's a shame that Precision doesn't have the necessary tooling, the communication is very positive. Keep us posted!

09-18-2017, 01:49 PM   #23

Wolfeye said...Quote..

Wow! Long time and plenty of nonsense.....Humble suggestion:... no idea if this could work yet B&H are amazing so chances are good.

Phone B&H and ask them if you could trade the faulty lens for a good copy and pay the difference. You may be surprised.

The economy Pentax 55-300/4-5.8 HD DA ED WR. lens is a hidden gem and gives shocking good images if used correctly. True it has limitations yet it can perform wonders ...Here's proof....

The Last straw by mudge

A used camera just arrived today from B&H.. Cost me half price. Looked new. Even smelled new. Do they just like me or is this their every day attitude? Good people to trust. TG
09-29-2017, 07:51 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
According to Precision's tracking, the lens is now out of repair and has been shipped. I received no notifications of this, despite giving them an email address they said would be used for updates. I just happened to check their tracker website and saw it was shipping back to me. So yay, it looks like the whole process went smoothly. Precision wasn't involved in the repair itself, so I can't rate them at all, other than their shipping it back to Japan and sending it to me seems to have gone smoothly.

Now let's hope the lens was actually fixed.
10-04-2017, 12:20 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Got the lens back yesterday. The issue has been resolved, but a new one has sorta cropped up. Lens is now stiff as all get out to zoom with. Can anyone with a working copy tell me, is it kinda stiff, or hard to zoom with your lens, or is it smooth turning?
10-04-2017, 01:40 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Got the lens back yesterday. The issue has been resolved, but a new one has sorta cropped up. Lens is now stiff as all get out to zoom with. Can anyone with a working copy tell me, is it kinda stiff, or hard to zoom with your lens, or is it smooth turning?
It is somewhat stiff, but mine has loosened up a bit over time. I think this is part of the design of the lens since it extends so much. Given the choice I like the idea of a slightly stiff zoom with absolutely no barrel wobble than a looser zoom ring with a wobbly barrel like some of my other current and past zooms.
10-04-2017, 02:11 PM   #27
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
It is somewhat stiff, but mine has loosened up a bit over time. I think this is part of the design of the lens since it extends so much. Given the choice I like the idea of a slightly stiff zoom with absolutely no barrel wobble than a looser zoom ring with a wobbly barrel like some of my other current and past zooms.
Same for me. I got mine in February. It had loosened up a bit by the end of March, when I dropped it and broke the barrel. When I got it back from repair in June it was stiff again, but has freed up again. It's still more resistant than say my 18-135, but not bad at all. And I agree with @jddwoods that a little more resistance is far preferable to barrel wobble - or, for that matter, rampant zoom creep like on my old Tamron 18-250.
10-09-2017, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Lens seems to be working as designed. Got to say, the image quality has never been a question.

Kids, water, play.
by Howling Wolf, on Flickr
10-09-2017, 04:33 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Lens seems to be working as designed. Got to say, the image quality has never been a question.

Kids, water, play.
by Howling Wolf, on Flickr
It's a really nice lens. I never thought of taking my DA*200 or Legacy 55-300 anywhere unless I knew I would need 200 to 300mm. Since I got the PLM it goes everywhere in all of my outings due to its compactness and versatility. Nice picture, by the way!
07-15-2018, 08:59 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Aaaaaand... it's broke again. When I got it back, I noticed the zoom was stiff. Well, that's not all. Now the damn thing refuses to autofocus at 100mm. Out of warranty and despite the feeling that the people who fixed it before didn't fix it right the first time, there's little to be done, I'm certainly not going to pay for getting this lemon fixed. I have a nice semi-useful lens still.

Let this be a warning to everyone. This lens is either a POS or has significant QA issues. Avoid it. Buy at your own peril.