Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2018, 02:36 AM   #31
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
Aaaaaand... it's broke again. When I got it back, I noticed the zoom was stiff. Well, that's not all. Now the damn thing refuses to autofocus at 100mm. Out of warranty and despite the feeling that the people who fixed it before didn't fix it right the first time, there's little to be done, I'm certainly not going to pay for getting this lemon fixed. I have a nice semi-useful lens still.

Let this be a warning to everyone. This lens is either a POS or has significant QA issues. Avoid it. Buy at your own peril.
Sorry to hear that. Is it just at that one focal length?

You're understandably disappointed, but we need to consider your experience in context of the overall user base. You've been unlucky... I can't recall reading of any other issues with this particular lens, and it's a popular model - so I don't think members should avoid it based on this one unfortunate example. But it's certainly useful information for others to consider when making their decisions...

07-16-2018, 03:21 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Aaaaaand... it's broke again. When I got it back, I noticed the zoom was stiff. Well, that's not all. Now the damn thing refuses to autofocus at 100mm. Out of warranty and despite the feeling that the people who fixed it before didn't fix it right the first time, there's little to be done, I'm certainly not going to pay for getting this lemon fixed. I have a nice semi-useful lens still.

Let this be a warning to everyone. This lens is either a POS or has significant QA issues. Avoid it. Buy at your own peril.
No warranty on the repair?
07-16-2018, 07:57 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I checked it out more thoroughly last night. It will autofocus at 300, 200, 135mm (estimated) or anywhere in between. It will not autofocus NOR manually focus between 135mm and 56mm. It functions properly at 55mm too. I'll send it in for evaluation, but I don't want to deal with Precision camera. They're just middlemen in this - they can't repair this lens. I'd like to send it directly to Japan.It may backfire, but we'll see.

What irks me the most is that when it came back all stiff, I should have complained and sent it back. The zoom is horrible. Sticky, not smooth. I should have sent it back for re-repair. So, if I can find the address, I'll send it to Pentax Japan and explain my feeling that the lens wasn't fixed right the first time. Maybe they'll fix it for free. Either way, I'm not going to pay to have it repaired. They can fix it or keep it. I can buy a far cheaper lens to use, and one that's reliable. I had liked the weather resistance but as we've learned, Pentax doesn't honor that, so it's pretty dead to me as a marketing tool.

---------- Post added 07-16-18 at 09:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DrawsACircle Quote
No warranty on the repair?
They give a 3mo warranty on repair. It's been like, 8 months.
07-16-2018, 08:20 AM   #34
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

if I can find the address, I'll send it to Pentax Japan and explain my feeling that the lens wasn't fixed right the first time. Maybe they'll fix it for free. Either way, I'm not going to pay to have it repaired. They can fix it or keep it. I can buy a far cheaper lens to use, and one that's reliable.
Before you send anything directly to Ricoh Imaging in Japan, check with them that they'll accept the return. In most situations where service agent companies are involved, the manufacturer requires that items sent in for inspection and/or repair must come in via the appropriate service channels (i.e. through the service agent). I know for sure that's the case with - for example - Tamron here in the UK. I'd hate for you to send the lens to Ricoh, only to have it returned without inspection... That would simply be a waste of your money and time. So please do check with them, and don't make any assumptions. Otherwise, you might see it as a negative result from Ricoh instead of standard business practice

I had liked the weather resistance but as we've learned, Pentax doesn't honor that, so it's pretty dead to me as a marketing tool.
We've learned that in some cases they do, but in many they don't. It depends on the individual circumstances, but with most camera companies - Pentax included - it seems it's incumbent on the user to prove that the camera and/or lens was at fault rather than the owner, and that's very difficult Seems it's an industry-wide thing, too, based on posts I read on other manufacturer-specific forums...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-16-2018 at 05:29 PM.