Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2017, 11:13 PM   #1

Getting Asahi Pentax Spotmatic in 2017?

Hi peeps,

I'm a professional photographer using Fuji system. Lately, I've been intrigue by film photography and been browsing forums / reviews / youtube for slr cameras.

My question is, is it ok to buy the legend Asahi Pentax Spotmatic today ?

I'm thorn between getting this or Minolta SRT 102 because they have same price in my area.

08-11-2017, 11:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Of course, but as with all old cameras, it will need a clean, lubricate and adjust. Very robust camera.
08-12-2017, 02:49 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can get your Spotmatic serviced by Eric - who is a legend here. You will probably need new foam light seals too.... also here is a featured article about Eric.And here is the M42 lens database
08-12-2017, 11:03 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yes, it'll be fine to get a Spotmatic nowadays. There may be a chance you'll need to get it a good CLA like others have suggested and have Eric H. check it out & do any repairs, he comes highly recommended from alot of forum members. It usually depends on how well the camera was taken care of before hand if you need it CLA'd, but if it feels like something may be off or you're unsure/just want it checked out, send it.

08-12-2017, 06:00 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would suggest getting a K1000, KM or KX if you are wanting to do film. If you go with a Spotmatic, you will be stuck with just using screw mount lenses, which is not necessary a bad thing but getting a K1000, KM or KX, you would be able to use any Pentax K mount lens that has an aperture ring plus all the screw mount lenses with the proper screw mount to K mount adapter.

No matter what you go with, getting a CLA is still a good idea.
08-13-2017, 04:40 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would bypass all the m42 and k mount MF bodies and get a PZ-1 or PZ-1p (or Z-1 / Z-1p away from North America)

They can use all but HSM lenses have excellent metering, work with MF lenses just like any K or M body , has some great exposure features and 1/250 flash sync

If the OP is a pro,Mathis is a way to lead him into digital as wall with Pentax.
08-13-2017, 07:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Get a Spotmatic. (I have the SPii and it is a joy to use.)
Maybe it will need repair, maybe it won't. (It probably won't.)
The M42 mount gives you access to many wonderful lenses that sell for ridiculously low prices.
Later, you can get a KX or a PZ1p.

08-13-2017, 09:17 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You want a Spotmatic F. You really do!

Read the reviews on this forum on M 42 cameras. The Spotmatic F enables full aperture metering with later Pentax Takumar Super Multi Coated lenses, and perhaps some third party lenses. Full aperture metering is nice, since IMHO the stop-down implementation of the Spotmatics is not as nice as that on the Praktica LTL, for example. Please, no hate mail! I am a loyal Pentaxian.

Other than that the Spotties are lovely cameras, beautifully made, smooth operating, elegant looking, and reliable. Since they seem to use a bridge circuit for metering a silver oxide cell will work fine in place of the original mercury cell, thank goodness! Of course with any camera that old a CLA should be factored into the cost.

After that you could move into the K mount series, with perhaps a KX. And perhaps later on the ultimate, the Mighty LX.
08-14-2017, 12:42 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I have both and prefer the Minolta SRT cameras, though there's not much in it either functionally or with regard to size and weight. My Minoltas are probably slightly smoother in operation, and the Minolta lenses I have are at least as sharp as my Takumars.

The SRT cameras I've bought have also proved to work better after all these years - they've given me zero problems and haven't required CLAs, unlike the spotties

Last edited by Jonathan Mac; 08-14-2017 at 12:47 AM.
08-14-2017, 07:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you can, pick up a Pentax P3n / P30t. They are very inexpensive, comfortable in hand, are reliable, have a decently sized viewfinder, are super easy to load film into, use cheap lr44 batteries, and rarely require a CLA. Put a M 50 f/1.7 on it and you will have a nearly bulletproof combo that will be a true pleasure to work with.
08-14-2017, 07:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member

If you are seriously considering a Spotmatic bear in mind that it has no hot shoe for flash guns, you would need an L-bracket and sync cable for flash use. My first SLR was a used Spotmatic back in 1979 and it was a great camera. Easy to use, light weight and rugged. I did an exchange deal on a Spotmatic II a couple of years later as I wanted a body with a hot shoe. I still have the Spotmatic II body (but it is FUBAR'd now) and the L-bracket and multiple sync cables in a box full of old film gear in the bedroom closet.
08-14-2017, 09:13 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
If you are seriously considering a Spotmatic bear in mind that it has no hot shoe for flash guns, you would need an L-bracket and sync cable for flash use. My first SLR was a used Spotmatic back in 1979 and it was a great camera. Easy to use, light weight and rugged. I did an exchange deal on a Spotmatic II a couple of years later as I wanted a body with a hot shoe. I still have the Spotmatic II body (but it is FUBAR'd now) and the L-bracket and multiple sync cables in a box full of old film gear in the bedroom closet.
Ummm....My Spotmatic F has both a hot shoe and pc connectors on the body for both X and FP flashbulbs. Where would anyone find FP flashbulbs these days? Truly a blast from the past! The OP should consult the review on this site for exact details.
08-14-2017, 09:36 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
Depends on the model.
08-14-2017, 03:44 PM   #14

I would say sure, it's not like it's going to cost you that much and like others have said you'll have access to decent lenses that will be cheap. My first camera was a used K1000 that I still use today when I'm not shooting 4x5. Which is more often these days than I'd thought.
08-14-2017, 05:35 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Spotmatics are among the best SLRs ever made.
Here are two recent posts by Michael Johnston about the Spotmatic:
The Online Photographer: So You Say You Want a Film Camera?
The Online Photographer: Three More Things About the Spotmatic

Cheers!

Abbazz