Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2008, 12:13 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Just bought my K20 and DA* 12-24

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello I just purchased my k20 and Da* 12-24mm lens. I hope I have done the right decision regarding the lense because I usually want to shot landscapes and macros for printing purpose.

However I'm not sure if I can use this lens for macro shots since the minimum close up to the subject is 30cm...and I can not invest in a dedicated macro lens yet. Maybe in the future...

This is why I would like to know if anyone here use or used a macro filter for zoom lens. I hear that I can just attach a filter onto my lens to get the same macro effect as a real macro lens. Well maybe not the exact same but that it's a cheaper way of achieving the macro photos. Can anyone tell me whether this would be a good idea? For example I found some macro filters that would fit my DA* 12-24mm on Ebay here:
NEW Hoya 77mm Close-up Macro Filter Set +1+2+4 77 Kit on eBay, also Close-Up, Filters, Lenses Filters, Cameras Photo (end time 26-Aug-08 15:59:38 BST)

Are the difference so big between a macro filer and a dedicated macro lens? I heard that a dedicate lens is sharpest...but I'm not sure. Also I'm thinking at lens aberations that could increase using these macro filters.

Can anyone guide me thru? THANKS.

08-20-2008, 02:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by marius Quote
Hello I just purchased my k20 and Da* 12-24mm lens. I hope I have done the right decision regarding the lense because I usually want to shot landscapes and macros for printing purpose.

However I'm not sure if I can use this lens for macro shots since the minimum close up to the subject is 30cm...and I can not invest in a dedicated macro lens yet. Maybe in the future...

This is why I would like to know if anyone here use or used a macro filter for zoom lens. I hear that I can just attach a filter onto my lens to get the same macro effect as a real macro lens. Well maybe not the exact same but that it's a cheaper way of achieving the macro photos. Can anyone tell me whether this would be a good idea? For example I found some macro filters that would fit my DA* 12-24mm on Ebay here:
NEW Hoya 77mm Close-up Macro Filter Set +1+2+4 77 Kit on eBay, also Close-Up, Filters, Lenses Filters, Cameras Photo (end time 26-Aug-08 15:59:38 BST)

Are the difference so big between a macro filer and a dedicated macro lens? I heard that a dedicate lens is sharpest...but I'm not sure. Also I'm thinking at lens aberations that could increase using these macro filters.

Can anyone guide me thru? THANKS.

The Pentax 12-24 is one of my favorite lenses. With the K20D it makes a great combination. I used the 12-24 for much of my last shoot and have used it extensively in the past. It is one of the few lenses that is excellent from wide open from the get go. Contrast and color rendition of the Pentax 12-24 DA is excellent. Auto focus is fast and the construction is very solid.

As to your macro conundrum, I suggest you test the lens out at 24mm and see if it works for you. i.e. is close enough for you.

Enjoy...Now go out there and take some images and get published.

Ben

Last edited by benjikan; 08-21-2008 at 02:07 AM.
08-20-2008, 03:11 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. I will receive the camera by the end of this month. As soon as I get it I will post here my first shots.
08-20-2008, 03:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

DA*? this not weather sealed is it?

08-20-2008, 08:32 AM   #5
Inactive Account

The 12-24 is NOT a DA* lens, only a DA lens (so no weather-sealing or SDM focusing)
08-20-2008, 08:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I sure hope DA 12-24 is a DA* with weather seal :P it will be great for camping!
08-20-2008, 09:01 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Like I said above, it's NOT a DA* with weather sealing. So bring your umbrella

08-20-2008, 10:01 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes. It's not a DA* ..my mistake.
08-20-2008, 09:38 PM   #9
Pentaxian

"True" macro lenses are designed made for that purpose - with a flat field, etc. Other methods (budget zoom "macro mode", close up filters) are inexpensive alternatives that may be satisfactory, though perhaps technically limited.

Oh, the 12-24 is very nice.