Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2017, 05:10 AM   #1

Tamron 70-200 with HD Pentax-DA AF Rear Converter 1.4x AW or Pentax 60-250 ???

Hello to all of you. A few months ago I switched from Nikon and I really enjoy the Pentax KP. The lenses I bought so far are the Pentax 12-24/4, 16-45/4, the new 55-300 PLM and the 35/2.4 . Last week I also bought a Tamron 17-50/2.8 and I will see how it compares with the Pentax 16-45/4.

I bought the 55-300 PLM because of its low weight as I often go on long hikes. The 55-300 gives great results but for my landscape photography I would also like to buy or a Pentax 60-250 or the Tamron 70-200 (the older LD-version without VC) paired with a TC. Without doubt these two lenses will give better quality than the 55-300.

Now my question is if the Pentax-DA AF Rear Converter 1.4x AW teleconverter will work without a problem with the Tamron 70-200. Does anyone have experiences with this combination? As said I want the combo to deliver the best quality for landscapes (and sometimes for some street photography). I don't do any sports or fast action photography. Or is the Pentax 60-250 the better choice? I'm a bit scared to buy a used 60-250 because of the wellknown SDM failures and unlike the 16-50 and the 50-135 the 60-250 cannot be switched to screwdrive. A new 60-250 is around 1250 euro here in Belgium whereas the Tamron is 600 euro + about 300 euro for the teleconverter.

Many thanks! All ideas and experiences are much appreciated!

08-13-2017, 06:09 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

HI Danny... I can't comment on the Tamron 70-200 with the 1.4x AW converter. However, I use the DA*60-250 with that converter and I'm extremely pleased with the combo. Also, as far as I'm aware, there have been relatively few SDM failures with this model. It was fairly common with the DA*16-50, and I believe a few people have had issues with the DA*50-135 too... but I've not heard of many issues with the 60-250; some, but not many.
08-13-2017, 06:29 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge

Photos: Gallery | Albums
have you read the staff review on the Pentax-DA 1.4x AW AF Rear Converter?

it is available under the " Lenses " section above

look under " Pentax Lenses Review " then " DA teleconverters "

it doesn't discuss how it operates with third party equipment but it does discuss how it works with Pentax equipment
08-13-2017, 09:17 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

While I haven't used that combo, there's no technical reason that the 1.4x shouldn't work with the Tamron. Also, I wouldn't cross off the 60-250mm just because of the SDM as it is quite an impressive lens optically.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-13-2017, 12:34 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The 1.4X TC works with the 55-300 PLM but you really need lots of light since it becomes f5-6 to maybe 9.0 or something like that. If you have the KP you will definitely have better luck with this combo than I have with my K-3. I tried the TC with my 55-300 PLM and there was no problems with autofocus even on a dreary cloudy winter day in a wildlife refuge photographing birds. I just noticed that whatever I gained in extra reach was no better than an equivalent crop form the lens without the TC. I should really give it another try in better weather, as in brighter, and see if I get better results.
I hope you are enjoying your KP and the fine lenses you have to go along with it. I really like my 55-300 PLM.
08-13-2017, 02:28 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dannyv Quote
Hello to all of you. A few months ago I switched from Nikon and I really enjoy the Pentax KP. The lenses I bought so far are the Pentax 12-24/4, 16-45/4, the new 55-300 PLM and the 35/2.4 . Last week I also bought a Tamron 17-50/2.8 and I will see how it compares with the Pentax 16-45/4.

I bought the 55-300 PLM because of its low weight as I often go on long hikes. The 55-300 gives great results but for my landscape photography I would also like to buy or a Pentax 60-250 or the Tamron 70-200 (the older LD-version without VC) paired with a TC. Without doubt these two lenses will give better quality than the 55-300.

Now my question is if the Pentax-DA AF Rear Converter 1.4x AW teleconverter will work without a problem with the Tamron 70-200. Does anyone have experiences with this combination? As said I want the combo to deliver the best quality for landscapes (and sometimes for some street photography). I don't do any sports or fast action photography. Or is the Pentax 60-250 the better choice? I'm a bit scared to buy a used 60-250 because of the wellknown SDM failures and unlike the 16-50 and the 50-135 the 60-250 cannot be switched to screwdrive. A new 60-250 is around 1250 euro here in Belgium whereas the Tamron is 600 euro + about 300 euro for the teleconverter.

Many thanks! All ideas and experiences are much appreciated!
I've used the 1.4 AW teleconvertor on both Tamron 70-200 (screw drive, non-os) and Pentax 60-250 with my K3- both work well. The 70-200 is a very sharp lens, the 60-250 is a bit lighter, the AF is not stellar. The Tammy is f2.8 which makes a difference when using the TC, which loses a stop of light.
Late at night here, so not able to grab any examples quickly, I will look out for some over the next few days
08-13-2017, 02:45 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenHampshire Quote
the 60-250 is a bit lighter, the AF is not stellar.
I'd agree in so much as the AF isn't blindingly fast - but I find mine to be unfailingly accurate
08-13-2017, 04:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Both lenses have a fine reputation for performance. So it really depends on how much you need f/2.8 when you don't do much in fast action photography. Canon has in recent years extended its professional L series lenses in a line of f/4 models instead of f/2.8 because the low-light/high ISO performance of newer bodies has made f/4 a very viable alternative, at lower weight.

With the DA* 60-250mm f/4 lens, you get WR construction and a greater zoom range at a lower overall carrying size. With the 70-200mm f/2.8 lens, to go over 200mm you'd have to employ the TC and be at f/4 anyway, then the quality edge might go to the DA* 60-250mm with no TC. From 250mm to 280mm, where the DA* lens would also require the TC and be at f/5.6, the 70-200mm might have some advantage, but maybe not. That lens will be operating at or near its longest FL limit, where the DA* lens can still zoom farther to 350mm.

08-13-2017, 07:23 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

I own both lenses and use them on my K3 and K-1. First off they are indeed very different lenses. Both lenses will deliver stunningly sharp images. Both lenses are well constructed. The converter will work on either lens. However in low light conditions you may find the 60-250 struggle to achieve autofocus on your KP with the teleconverter. I have encountered this on my K3 at times but not on the K-1. When weather is an issue I immediately go for the 60-250 for the weather sealing. Both lenses have their known issues. As for the SDM motor on the 69-250 I do not feel the failure rate is any higher than any other lens with an internal motor. The Tamron has know issues as well. Decentering is a very common issue. I had to get two copies to get a good one. On earlier models apeture failure was also a known issue. When you get a good copy it is an excellent lens. If ypu do you any closeup shots at MFD distance the 60-250 suffers from focus breathing at the long end. For these type of shots I use the Tamron since the magnification ratio is higher. I will ad for landscape shots I primarily use the 60-250. F2.8 serves no real purpose in landscape shots to me. Either way I do not see how you would end up unhappy. As long as weather sealing is not an issue the Tamron is a fine choice. Just make sure you have a good exchange policy and throughly test the lens immediately after you purchase it.
08-14-2017, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
HI Danny... I can't comment on the Tamron 70-200 with the 1.4x AW converter. However, I use the DA*60-250 with that converter and I'm extremely pleased with the combo. Also, as far as I'm aware, there have been relatively few SDM failures with this model. It was fairly common with the DA*16-50, and I believe a few people have had issues with the DA*50-135 too... but I've not heard of many issues with the 60-250; some, but not many.
Thank you for the information, Mike. Good to know that the 60-250 has less issues with SDM failures.

---------- Post added 14-08-17 at 06:10 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
have you read the staff review on the Pentax-DA 1.4x AW AF Rear Converter?

it is available under the " Lenses " section above

look under " Pentax Lenses Review " then " DA teleconverters "

it doesn't discuss how it operates with third party equipment but it does discuss how it works with Pentax equipment

Thanks for the tip, Allen. yes, I read the review...seems to be a great TC!

---------- Post added 14-08-17 at 06:12 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenHampshire Quote
I've used the 1.4 AW teleconvertor on both Tamron 70-200 (screw drive, non-os) and Pentax 60-250 with my K3- both work well. The 70-200 is a very sharp lens, the 60-250 is a bit lighter, the AF is not stellar. The Tammy is f2.8 which makes a difference when using the TC, which loses a stop of light.
Late at night here, so not able to grab any examples quickly, I will look out for some over the next few days
Much appreciated, Stephen! Thank you! I don't need really fast AF ...as long as it's accurate it's fine!

---------- Post added 14-08-17 at 06:21 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
I own both lenses and use them on my K3 and K-1. First off they are indeed very different lenses. Both lenses will deliver stunningly sharp images. Both lenses are well constructed. The converter will work on either lens. However in low light conditions you may find the 60-250 struggle to achieve autofocus on your KP with the teleconverter. I have encountered this on my K3 at times but not on the K-1. When weather is an issue I immediately go for the 60-250 for the weather sealing. Both lenses have their known issues. As for the SDM motor on the 69-250 I do not feel the failure rate is any higher than any other lens with an internal motor. The Tamron has know issues as well. Decentering is a very common issue. I had to get two copies to get a good one. On earlier models apeture failure was also a known issue. When you get a good copy it is an excellent lens. If ypu do you any closeup shots at MFD distance the 60-250 suffers from focus breathing at the long end. For these type of shots I use the Tamron since the magnification ratio is higher. I will ad for landscape shots I primarily use the 60-250. F2.8 serves no real purpose in landscape shots to me. Either way I do not see how you would end up unhappy. As long as weather sealing is not an issue the Tamron is a fine choice. Just make sure you have a good exchange policy and throughly test the lens immediately after you purchase it.

Thank you! It seems I can't go wrong with either choice. I'm leaning a bit more towards the 60-250 as it's a bit lighter and certainly more practical because the range is bigger. I often shoot landscapes at 350-400mm...such a far range gives more freedom to make nice compositions.

Here are two examples of my landscape photography using my former Nikon 80-400 at 400mm

Last edited by Dannyv; 08-14-2017 at 06:28 AM.